Bama first team OSU faces with more talent

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Ole Miss and Miss St were junior- senior laden teams this year. Grown men. your recruiting rankings would have meant nothing against them. Do some research.
Easily??? Based upon what???

Of course everybody can have their own personal opinion, but if your using something more objective, it's not close. In the last 4 recruiting classes neither of the Miss schools had any single class rated above any of ours - at least based upon Rivals rankings. The best class either of the Miss schools had was ranked 7th in 2013. MS average was 21 and Ms St average was 34. Auburn had one class - 2011 - rated above ours on Rivals. They were 9th, we were 11th in the Tressell transition year.

Missouri??? C'mon man, we know the SEC East was a dumpster fire this year. Missouri lost at home to Indiana, who won one conference game and finished last in the Big 10. Your just not going to be able to convince anybody outside of SEC country of the superiority of the SEC by using Mississippi schools and the SEC East.....this is not the year

It's the only game Georgia and Nebraska played unless I'm missing something.....I mean why pretend it didn't happen? How can you argue - in a rational manner - that Georgia was a demonstrably superior football team to Nebraska when they lost to them......it happened. There is nothing further I can say......
Since you are using one game. You lost to VT and it wasn't really as close as the 35-21 score said. Bama beat them down last season, since you want bring up last year. VT is TERRIBLE. Don't bring up the fact about your QB because I can do the same about UGA last season.

Let's just stay on this season and this season alone. Either way, it doesn't look good for you.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Tbux, I'll give you an A for effort and resiliency.

Don't know if you know it, but our resident journalist, JessN, has his game analysis thread up. It's a sticky thread at the top. You'll appreciate his "fairness" to OSU but I'd remind you he tends to be very conservative in his predictions.
Thanks for the heads-up, had not read it previously. I think it a very fair and not unreasonable in any particular area. I would add this.....

our D-line is very talented and is one of our strengths, but def give Bama the edge in depth. Bosa is as good as anybody with Bennett not far behind and Washington very serviceable.

LB'ers .... we know Trey well, he is one that got away. That said, one of his weaknesses is lateral quickness....he will be tested in space having to chase down smaller, quicker H-backs with great speed. This match-up could be significant

O-line has improved continually over the course of the year and are playing their best football down the stretch. We like them alot but Bama's D-line will provide their greatest challenge by far.....if we don't get the run game going early, they won't be able to keep Jones clean in the pocket, it will be a long night. Jones is 6'5" - 250 and does not have great "escapability" ala Miller/Barrett/Sims, but runs well and throws well on the move

Receivers.....Cooper is a freak. We don't have one of those....nobody does. That said we do have a very solid, deep group with a wide diversity of skillsets. We'll rotate six.....Smith is outstanding deep threat with exceptional leaping ability and ball skills. Thomas - Keyshawn's nephew - is a big, physical target that can go up and get it or break a tackle on the outside and take it to the house. Bama has been susceptible dowfield more often than years past, I think we can have success here...

Punter.....I know you love your guy as you should, he's outstanding. But in all seriousness, I think our guy is the best punter I've ever seen, ever...... check him out yourself. He's downed 22 of 39 punts inside the 20 this year and more than half of those inside the 10....crazy good.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...21/this-week-in-data-cam-johnstons-lethal-leg

Of course the biggest issue is how well Jones is able to respond to the moment.....Urby won't ask him to do more than he is capable, but a month of prep by Saban and his staff may be problematic for an inexperienced young QB. If he plays within himself and the rest rally around him, we've got a shot......

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Thanks for the heads-up, had not read it previously. I think it a very fair and not unreasonable in any particular area. I would add this.....

our D-line is very talented and is one of our strengths, but def give Bama the edge in depth. Bosa is as good as anybody with Bennett not far behind and Washington very serviceable.

LB'ers .... we know Trey well, he is one that got away. That said, one of his weaknesses is lateral quickness....he will be tested in space having to chase down smaller, quicker H-backs with great speed. This match-up could be significant

O-line has improved continually over the course of the year and are playing their best football down the stretch. We like them alot but Bama's D-line will provide their greatest challenge by far.....if we don't get the run game going early, they won't be able to keep Jones clean in the pocket, it will be a long night. Jones is 6'5" - 250 and does not have great "escapability" ala Miller/Barrett/Sims, but runs well and throws well on the move

Receivers.....Cooper is a freak. We don't have one of those....nobody does. That said we do have a very solid, deep group with a wide diversity of skillsets. We'll rotate six.....Smith is outstanding deep threat with exceptional leaping ability and ball skills. Thomas - Keyshawn's nephew - is a big, physical target that can go up and get it or break a tackle on the outside and take it to the house. Bama has been susceptible dowfield more often than years past, I think we can have success here...

Punter.....I know you love your guy as you should, he's outstanding. But in all seriousness, I think our guy is the best punter I've ever seen, ever...... check him out yourself. He's downed 22 of 39 punts inside the 20 this year and more than half of those inside the 10....crazy good.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...21/this-week-in-data-cam-johnstons-lethal-leg

Of course the biggest issue is how well Jones is able to respond to the moment.....Urby won't ask him to do more than he is capable, but a month of prep by Saban and his staff may be problematic for an inexperienced young QB. If he plays within himself and the rest rally around him, we've got a shot......
you guys do indeed have a great punter. the guy can put it where he wants. should be fun watching both punters

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That's the microcasm of the big picture, I think. Thanks for your roster insight.

BuckeyeAlumnus

Suspended
Dec 9, 2014
Columbus, OH
Those are the only meaningful games..
I respectfully disagree. But I suppose for you guys, having won 3 titles in 5 years, that rings true. For the rest of the world there are other games that are meaningful. The Rose Bowl, the conference championship, the rivalry game against that team up north, etc...we can't view every season that doesn't end in championship as a failure or we'll drive ourselves mad

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
you guys do indeed have a great punter. the guy can put it where he wants. should be fun watching both punters
I'm not conceding the punting battle to them. Scott is ranked second in the nation, so he can't get much better. Both are with teams which have dominated their opposition and were usually punting from the opponent's territory, so placement is more important than distance. I've been running through my memory and I can't remember more than a couple of Scott's which have trickled on into the EZ...

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I have never believed the team with more stars out of High School has as large of an advantage as some seem to on here when it comes to the top schools. Talent is relative and Ohio State has talented players.

I really like experience and instinct for the game, the ability to be a team player with heart and dedication. The talent gap between our 11 against their best 11 will be closer than some may think.

As far as the "betting line or spread" to indicate who the Vegas odds makers think will win the game seems completely misunderstood by many people.

Alabama must play very well to win this game. I hope our players are working to be at their peak. I believe OSU has the motivational advantage from just who we are and will prepare to execute their best game.

If we also elevate our play I love our chances.:BigA:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have never believed the team with more stars out of High School has as large of an advantage as some seem to on here when it comes to the top schools. Talent is relative and Ohio State has talented players.

I really like experience and instinct for the game, the ability to be a team player with heart and dedication. The talent gap between our 11 against their best 11 will be closer than some may think.

As far as the "betting line or spread" to indicate who the Vegas odds makers think will win the game seems completely misunderstood by many people.

Alabama must play very well to win this game. I hope our players are working to be at their peak. I believe OSU has the motivational advantage from just who we are and will prepare to execute their best game.

An you'll never get it understood. There was a long thread on their Scout site, citing the line as a supreme "disrespect" of their team. Uh, wut??

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014

Our program is a year ahead, this was unexpected so we're playing on house money so to speak.....it's a talented, but very young team and they came along much faster than expected, particularly after Miller went down. With JT going down and Jones being put in such a very difficult situation, the odds are long to be sure so I think the spread is about right. But, I like the intangibles and we have plenty enough playmakers on both sides of the ball who along with a great coach give us a punchers chance......I do expect them to compete and rally around their young QB and play a helluva game

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Our program is a year ahead, this was unexpected so we're playing on house money so to speak.....it's a talented, but very young team and they came along much faster than expected, particularly after Miller went down. With JT going down and Jones being put in such a very difficult situation, the odds are long to be sure so I think the spread is about right. But, I like the intangibles and we have plenty enough playmakers on both sides of the ball who along with a great coach give us a punchers chance......I do expect them to compete and rally around their young QB and play a helluva game
It's never "house money" when you make it this far. Nothing next year is guaranteed. Notre Dame fans said the same thing in 2012 and look where they are today..

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
We are also very young. I believe 27 of our top 33 on defense return next year, so next year is when I expected our defense to be incredible. In that regard, we are also a little ahead of schedule. Next year will require more development on the offensive side of the ball, but our defense should be incredible unless a few more guys than expected enter the draft early. So, here we are; both teams are very young at some positions. Which guys will stand up and make the plays needed to win? We shall soon see, and I am really looking forward to the game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We are also very young. I believe 27 of our top 33 on defense return next year, so next year is when I expected our defense to be incredible. In that regard, we are also a little ahead of schedule. Next year will require more development on the offensive side of the ball, but our defense should be incredible unless a few more guys than expected enter the draft early. So, here we are; both teams are very young at some positions. Which guys will stand up and make the plays needed to win? We shall soon see, and I am really looking forward to the game.
In terms of youth, the teams are in a virtual tie, with OSU being ranked 109th and Bama 107th. Of course, that could flip with any substitution, so there's no real difference...

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
In terms of youth, the teams are in a virtual tie, with OSU being ranked 109th and Bama 107th. Of course, that could flip with any substitution, so there's no real difference...
We will be starting 6 soph and fresh on offense alone and at least 5 on defense. More often than not, we'll have 3 fresh on the field on defense. Based upon your depth chart provided, it seems as if almost all your starters are upperclassman.....they must be measuring something else. Our starting units are much younger.....the future is bright

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
We will be starting 6 soph and fresh on offense alone and at least 5 on defense. More often than not, we'll have 3 fresh on the field on defense. Based upon your depth chart provided, it seems as if almost all your starters are upperclassman.....they must be measuring something else. Our starting units are much younger.....the future is bright
Another possibility to consider is that OSU's upperclassmen just aren't as good as those recently recruited. Whereas at Bama, a recent recruit must be really special to break into the lineup of those that came before. And Bama's freshmen, and redshirts, are practicing against some pretty tough hombres, which will only make them better when they do break into the rotation. Just a thought. But go ahead, keep convincing yourself that your team is Bama's equal, I won't buy it. I'm not saying OSU can't win. Strange things happen, I've witnessed it first hand. But I firmly believe 7 out of 8 times, Bama would come out ahead of OSU. Happy New Year until 8 PM Eastern on the 1st.

Roll Tide!

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Another possibility to consider is that OSU's upperclassmen just aren't as good as those recently recruited. Whereas at Bama, a recent recruit must be really special to break into the lineup of those that came before. And Bama's freshmen, and redshirts, are practicing against some pretty tough hombres, which will only make them better when they do break into the rotation. Just a thought. But go ahead, keep convincing yourself that your team is Bama's equal, I won't buy it. I'm not saying OSU can't win. Strange things happen, I've witnessed it first hand. But I firmly believe 7 out of 8 times, Bama would come out ahead of OSU. Happy New Year until 8 PM Eastern on the 1st.

Roll Tide!
Yeah this right here.

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014

Roll Tide!
I was just responding to a post that said both teams were virtually identical in terms of youth.....while that may be true for the 2nd and 3rd units, not so with the starters. This is a very young Ohio State starting unit

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's never "house money" when you make it this far. Nothing next year is guaranteed. Notre Dame fans said the same thing in 2012 and look where they are today..
This is so true. You better "cash in" when you get into this position. A "team" from one year to the next changes so much even if it seems most of the key players are coming back.

Take the Barn as an example. So many of them thought they'd actually be better this year despite losing their left tackle, starting running back and lead blocking full back from the 2013 year. But it could be argued that one player, Mr. Greg Robinson, was the major difference in their offense, especially their ability to run it.

The chemistry of a team changes so much from one year to the next. Look no further than the example of the Bama team from 2013 to 2014!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Was thinking about another angle for this game this morning.

There's been lots of comparisons about the level of talent on both squads.

There's been lots oc comparisons to the leagues (SEC vs. B1G).

But the one area that Bama truly has an advantage in is playing in a game of this magnitude when EVERYTHING is on the line.

Just taking the Bama/Auburn game as just one example: The winner of this game has played in the NC game for 6 straight years (counting this year as the 4 team playoff). Think about that. For 6 years it's been win or go to a consolation bowl!

Then, add the fact Bama has had to navigate a SEC championship game in 3 of the last 6 years to continue their path to a NC game.

And then, those three BCSNC games where you play bad and you go home as #2, which is first loser.

Bama is really so much more battle tested and will come out knowing how to control emotions, overcome adversity and handle the highs.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
This is so true. You better "cash in" when you get into this position. A "team" from one year to the next changes so much even if it seems most of the key players are coming back.

Take the Barn as an example. So many of them thought they'd actually be better this year despite losing their left tackle, starting running back and lead blocking full back from the 2013 year. But it could be argued that one player, Mr. Greg Robinson, was the major difference in their offense, especially their ability to run it.

The chemistry of a team changes so much from one year to the next. Look no further than the example of the Bama team from 2013 to 2014!
Greg Robinson made such a big difference because he constantly got away with holding and being downfield when he wasn't supposed to be.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.