Bama first team OSU faces with more talent

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
.400 (B1G) bowl record over the past ten years versus .633 (SEC). Since 2010, the B1G's total record va P5 teams is putrid, the record vs ranked P5 teams is worse, as is the record vs the SEC. This why the B1G gets no respect.

If the talent were as equal as Tbux is claiming, if the teams in the SEC were as weak as Tbux claims, the lines for the game would be much closer. Bottom line. At the very least the line would be dropping big time.

To not acknowledge how well the Mississippi schools played this season shows a very poor grasp of the college football landscape. Both teams spent time ranked in the top 3 with MSU number one this season, something OSU has not done in a LONG time.

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I know this thread hasn't really been about the title question... But, let me just throw this out there.
* Massey Composite is not a computer ranking - it is an average of over 100 computer rankings. There's no perfect ranking, so I'll just use the one with the least variability (i.e., the one that is an average of other rankings).

OSU's best opponent: Michigan State (ranked #9).
Alabama's best opponent: Ole Miss (ranked #7).

Technically, Alabama has played two opponents ranked higher than OSU's best opponent but only by the slimmest of margins.

Here's a list of our opponents in order:
(Bama) Ole Miss - 7
(Bama) Mississippi State - 8
(OSU) Michigan State - 9
(Bama) Auburn - 11
(OSU) Wisconsin - 16
(Bama) Missouri - 17
(Bama) LSU - 18
(Bama) Texas A&M - 31
(OSU) Minnesota - 32
(Bama) Florida - 34
(Bama) Tennessee - 38
(OSU) Cincinnati - 40

I'm not going to use recruiting rankings for several reasons, not the least of those reasons being they are pretty silly measures of talent once we have players' actual performances in college.

I think anyone looking at this rationally can make three conclusions:
1. Alabama didn't play 6 teams better than any of OSU's opponents.
2. Alabama did play more high-quality teams than OSU.
3. It still doesn't really matter. It boils down to who plays best on January 1st.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Penn State had not given up a run over 30 yards this year, they have given up three already to BC and are still in the third quarter. Maybe that statistic says something about the overall level of play in the B1G this year?
No no no. Can't do that cough cough and the number 1 ranked run defense from 2009....the Tejas Longhorns say hi.

The ACC which three weeks ago was pounding its chest about "dominating" the SEC by going 4-0 just threw up all over itself today.

The Big 10 conference was horrible. It just was. The ACC was too. The truth is about to be revealed in a manner they can more easily understand. It's called a BEATDOWN.

Al Becker

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2011
Trussville, Al.
I believe that Bama will have to play well to win, but clearly it will be an upset if OSU wins. Can they win? Of course, but if both play their best I believe that Alabama wins by more than a touchdown.

This isn't a Bama opinion or SEC bias. It is fact. Pick a network or visit Vegas and see what they say. Look at what the majority of college coaches say. To date Bama's resume is simply more impressive. When OSU wins something significant people will take notice. Relying on lots of wins in a weak conference with its bell cow program floundering and none others really stepping up on a national front won't get tons of respect. Winning this game would be a start, but they have to win first.

The debate on this thread has gone beyond the topic and into a sales job and nobody's buying. Wrong forum fella. See ya.

Please.....are you really gonna count on the Mississippi schools to carry the SEC water for you???? Seriously? When you trot out the Mississippi schools to make your case, you got issues....
They are not now, nor have they ever been, nor, barring Armageddon, ever will be better than we are in any respect....that's just silly.

I've been to Death Valley.....overrated. Some very SEC friendly refs prevented them from losing that one.....Big house and State College, bigger venues, Madison just as crazy and all
more intimidating. The Swamp? They haven't scared anybody there except themselves since Urby left.....

Face it, it's not your year. Many SEC traditional stalwarts just aren't very good....it happens. My god, look at the Stripeheads in our conferences.....they're hideous
Man, I'm not sure how to take you. Either way though, you are a funny guy. Yes I'm trotting out MS schools. both would beat OSU.

Your knowledge is really beginning to show right now. I'm beginning to believe you are just trolling us instead of talking football.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Man, I'm not sure how to take you. Either way though, you are a funny guy. Yes I'm trotting out MS schools. both would beat OSU.

Your knowledge is really beginning to show right now. I'm beginning to believe you are just trolling us instead of talking football.
We are descending into trash talk, and, if it continues, I'll have to stop it...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
These Buckeyes remind me so much of the ND fans....except for one thing. They knew they were likely to lose.....and hoped they'd win.....these guys really think they are the better team....

And they haven't seen the real Meyer yet.....

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
S Carolina just beat Miami. Our worst bowl team just beat the ACC's worst bowl team. Bob Stoops could make a mountain out of that mole hill. :biggrin2:

Here we are in bowl season again. You know, the season when the SEC beats up on the other conferences and the other conference (is that you Bob?) call it espn bias.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
S Carolina just beat Miami. Our worst bowl team just beat the ACC's worst bowl team. Bob Stoops could make a mountain out of that mole hill. :biggrin2:

Here we are in bowl season again. You know, the season when the SEC beats up on the other conferences and the other conference (is that you Bob?) call it espn bias.
But the ACC showed they are better because there was that one time they went 4-0 against the SEC. [\blue]

BuckeyeAlumnus

Suspended
Dec 9, 2014
Columbus, OH
These Buckeyes remind me so much of the ND fans....except for one thing. They knew they were likely to lose.....and hoped they'd win.....these guys really think they are the better team....

And they haven't seen the real Meyer yet.....
I think almost every Buckeye fan has admitted we should be the underdog and it will be an uphill battle to win this game. We just don't think it will be a massive beatdown and will defend our team to the death when it is compared to Missouri...MISSOURI!!!! (Defensive posture)

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
I know this thread hasn't really been about the title question... But, let me just throw this out there.
* Massey Composite is not a computer ranking - it is an average of over 100 computer rankings. There's no perfect ranking, so I'll just use the one with the least variability (i.e., the one that is an average of other rankings).

OSU's best opponent: Michigan State (ranked #9).
Alabama's best opponent: Ole Miss (ranked #7).

Technically, Alabama has played two opponents ranked higher than OSU's best opponent but only by the slimmest of margins.

Here's a list of our opponents in order:
(Bama) Ole Miss - 7
(Bama) Mississippi State - 8
(OSU) Michigan State - 9
(Bama) Auburn - 11
(OSU) Wisconsin - 16
(Bama) Missouri - 17
(Bama) LSU - 18
(Bama) Texas A&M - 31
(OSU) Minnesota - 32
(Bama) Florida - 34
(Bama) Tennessee - 38
(OSU) Cincinnati - 40

I'm not going to use recruiting rankings for several reasons, not the least of those reasons being they are pretty silly measures of talent once we have players' actual performances in college.

I think anyone looking at this rationally can make three conclusions:
1. Alabama didn't play 6 teams better than any of OSU's opponents.
2. Alabama did play more high-quality teams than OSU.
3. It still doesn't really matter. It boils down to who plays best on January 1st.
Agreed on all points......we handily beat the #9 team in their own house, so it's hard for me to automatically agree with anybody that the #7 and #8 teams would beat us. I think most rational observers would agree that is not an unreasonable position for me to take given the facts.

Re: LSU - we have played LSU in Baton Rouge - 1987. I went to the game. Great game, both ranked top 10. We missed a FG at games end to win....final 13-13. We beat them in Columbus in the next year, both great games. Death Valley was a great experience, but I'd be lying to you if I said it was the most intimidating venue that we've visited....it just wasn't, prob top 5, top 10 for sure tho and great memory

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Re: LSU - we have played LSU in Baton Rouge - 1987... Death Valley was a great experience, but I'd be lying to you if I said it was the most intimidating venue that we've visited....it just wasn't, prob top 5, top 10 for sure tho and great memory
LSU in 2014 is a lot different than LSU in 1987. Attendance for that game was 79,000 - the 2014 Alabama game was 102,000

Also, the 1987 OSU game in Baton Rouge was a day game - kickoff was 1:49pm and ended at 5:05pm.

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I don't get the running the opponent down that is taking over this thread. Slamming the other team doesn't make yours better. Every one of the four playoff teams is pretty danged good. The only one of the group I can't respect is FL State, and that is because of the stink surrounding Shameus Winston and his coddling by Jimbo. It took that much sleaze for me to want Oregon to run them out of the stadium.

I have a suspicion that tOSU is the second best of the lot. They are loaded with athletes and football players, but so are the Criminoles and Ducks. Oh yes, we are, too.

Starting off with Wiscy v Awbarn [Get 'em Bucky!] it will be a great day of college football. Can't wait for it to get here.

Last edited:

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
I don't get the running the opponent down that is taking over this thread. Every one of the four playoff teams is pretty danged good. The only one of the group I can't respect is FL State, and that is because of the stink surrounding Shameus Winston and his coddling by Jimbo. It took that much sleaze for me to want Oregon to run them out of the stadium.

I have a suspicion that tOSU is the second best of the lot. They are loaded with athletes and football players, but so are the Criminoles and Ducks. Oh yes, we are, too.

Starting off with Wiscy v Awbarn [Get 'em Bucky!] it will be a great day of college football. Can't wait for it to get here.
Agreed. It will be a great day for football with deserving teams as participants. High road is the best road for all to follow at this point.RTR

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
I don't get the running the opponent down that is taking over this thread. Slamming the other team doesn't make yours better. Every one of the four playoff teams is pretty danged good. The only one of the group I can't respect is FL State, and that is because of the stink surrounding Shameus Winston and his coddling by Jimbo. It took that much sleaze for me to want Oregon to run them out of the stadium.

Amen to that.....happens far too frequently on these types of forums everywhere and sadly gets in the way of good quality discussion.

Let me be very clear, Bama represents our greatest challenge to date. I believe you are deeper and more talented in more spots than we are and unfortunately for both sides, you will not be facing us at our best. You are and should be favorites and I believe very strongly there is a greater probability that you will win.....that said, I also know that we are a very talented team, with an elite coach, capable of beating anybody, anywhere, anytime. Will we? I don't know, but I know it's an uphill battle. Can we? Without a doubt.....that's why we play the game

Best of luck to your Tide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.