A Saban/Meyer comparison I have not seen discussed...

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Funny.....Meyer bailed BG for Utah and left Utah for Florida.......now he's at the job he dreamed of having ever since he was a little boy. Which job should he not have taken????? LOL.....love these discussions. It is extraordinary to me the lengths people will go to try to minimize his accomplishments in an effort to advance some agenda.......

No matter folks personal opinion of him, he is by any rational measure one of the finest, most accomplished coaches in the history of the game.......those that try to diminish his accomplishments or deny the outstanding nature of his record just look silly in the face of the facts.....just my opinion, fwiw
No one here is belittling Urban, its the way and dubious circumstances under which he left Florida that I think that mainly sticks out in the minds of people down here and has greatly influence our opinion of him as a person. I think we've all acknowledged that, love him or hate him, he has an amazing record as a coach. It speaks for himself. Outside of overall winning percentage though, Saban has just been better, and has him 2-1 on the scoreboard, with two curb-stompings. Until Urban wins 4 NC's, there really is no debate who the best active coach is right now.

Last edited:

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
No one here is belittling Urban, its the way and dubious circumstances under which he left Florida that I think that mainly sticks out in the minds of people down here and has greatly influence our opinion of him as a person. I think we've all acknowledged that, love him or hate him, he has an amazing record as a coach. It speaks for himself. Outside of overall winning percentage though, Saban has just been better, and has him 2-1 on the scoreboard, with two curb-stompings. Until Urban wins 4 NC's, there really is no debate who the best active coach is right now.
Of course there will always be a debate......you should like your guy, he's an extraordinary coach and his record of achievement stands on its own merit. We like our guy every bit as much, as it should be.........

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Correct, and it's not really close right now in NC terms. CNS 4 (at two schools) and Urby 2. He is arguably #2, but a distant #2.

If UM mangages to win it all this year and the debate can begin...but right now he's back there with one more than Big Game Bob and the Man who won one with CNS's leftovers at LSU.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
Correct, and it's not really close right now in NC terms. CNS 4 (at two schools) and Urby 2. He is arguably #2, but a distant #2.

If UM mangages to win it all this year and the debate can begin...but right now he's back there with one more than Big Game Bob and the Man who won one with CNS's leftovers at LSU.
And if BAMA wins the National Championship again this year. I cannot see where there would be any debate about who is the best current coach. Maybe there could be some debate about the best all-time coach. Even though I still think coach Bryant is the best of all time, I am sure that coach Bryant would tip his houndstooth hat to coach Saban with a National Championship this year.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And if BAMA wins the National Championship again this year. I cannot see where there would be any debate about who is the best current coach. Maybe there could be some debate about the best all-time coach. Even though I still think coach Bryant is the best of all time, I am sure that coach Bryant would tip his houndstooth hat to coach Saban with a National Championship this year.
Coach Bryant would absolutely love it...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
There really isn't any debate right now if your using NCs as the ultimate criteria. However, I haven't really though much about how another CNS NC would really put CNS into another statosphere with the other Bama legend, Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant. Wow!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Funny.....Meyer bailed BG for Utah and left Utah for Florida.......now he's at the job he dreamed of having ever since he was a little boy. Which job should he not have taken????? LOL.....love these discussions. It is extraordinary to me the lengths people will go to try to minimize his accomplishments in an effort to advance some agenda.......

No matter folks personal opinion of him, he is by any rational measure one of the finest, most accomplished coaches in the history of the game.......those that try to diminish his accomplishments or deny the outstanding nature of his record just look silly in the face of the facts.....just my opinion, fwiw
Did Meyer take off any time ("out of coaching") other then the time he left Florida? He didn't quit the UF job knowing he was going to be the HC at OSU, at least not from anything I have ever read. So, yeah, he bailed on UF, a school that has an outstanding record and history in sports (football, specifically, in both his and SS's tenures).

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Did Meyer take off any time ("out of coaching") other then the time he left Florida? He didn't quit the UF job knowing he was going to be the HC at OSU, at least not from anything I have ever read. So, yeah, he bailed on UF, a school that has an outstanding record and history in sports (football, specifically, in both his and SS's tenures).
Just so I understand, what is the term you guys use for Saban's exit from the Dolphins after his disappointing 2 year NFL career?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Just so I understand, what is the term you guys use for Saban's exit from the Dolphins after his disappointing 2 year NFL career?
You realize the dolphins are an NFL team right? Nobody has claimed CNS is a great or even good NFL coach. He bailed on Miami because he didn't have any say in player personnel. Saban wanted, choosing between free agent QBs, Drew Brees and the GM there signed Dante Culpepper. Brees signed with the Saints and won a super bowl and Culpepper was out of the league in a few years. Saban left or bailed or whatever you want to call it because he didn't like the situation of not having any control of the roster..

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I also think Saban's style of coaching is better suited to college than the pros, which was another contributing factor when he left Miami. It seems he had to try coaching in the NFL to be sure.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Saban wanted, choosing between free agent QBs, Drew Brees and the GM there signed Dante Culpepper. Brees signed with the Saints and won a super bowl and Culpepper was out of the league in a few years. Saban left or bailed or whatever you want to call it because he didn't like the situation of not having any control of the roster..
From an interview last year, Saban said that Brees didn't pass the physical the Dolphins gave him.

I really wouldn't call Saban's NFL tenure a failure or disappointing either as some others have stated. If that were the case, no one in Miami would have minded him leaving - they would have been happy that they didn't have to fire him and pay his buyout.

I also wouldn't consider either coaches as "bailing" (not your words). Both have left all of their programs in better shape than they found them. Some can point to Meyer as bailing on UF, but he did win 2 national titles (more than Spurrier) and I'd have to think that the poor hire of Muschamp did most of the damage.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
From an interview last year, Saban said that Brees didn't pass the physical the Dolphins gave him.
Maybe so, but somehow he passed the physical for the Saints. From what I can recall, the GM/ownership in Miami preferred Culpepper over Brees..

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Maybe so, but somehow he passed the physical for the Saints. From what I can recall, the GM/ownership in Miami preferred Culpepper over Brees..
That's exactly how I remembered it too, but apparently that is because Saban didn't want the story about Brees failing the physical to get out. It wasn't until 2012 when he did an interview in Miami that he spoke about what really happened...

“We thought Drew Brees was an outstanding player and that’s who we made the first offer to,” Saban said. “Quite frankly, you know, he didn’t pass the physical with our organization so we had to go in another direction and there was nothing any of us could do about that.”
"We chose Drew Brees. I've never ever talked about this publicly... That's the guy we made the first offer to," the Dan Le Batard show tweeted on its official account. "A lot of players know this. There was a lot of loyalty in the organization and players never talked about it."

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Read somewhere, it may have been on here, in the NFL the coaches needs the players but in college the players need the coach. That among other things is why CNS is no longer in the NFL. Don't think for one minute he would not have been successful in time in the NFL.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Don't even think about pulling the "Saban failure in the NFL" excuse. He had one winning and one losing season. Also he didn't get fired he left on his own. CNS wanted Drew Brees because he knew the good he saw in him. The Dolphins ownership and GM didn't listen to him. He knew what he was doing. Also the Dolphins have had ***ONE*** winning season, ***ONE*** division title, ***ONE*** playoff appearance since, and ***ZERO*** playoff wins since CNS left them. Meanwhile Pete Carroll went 6-10 in his one season with the Jets and 27-21 with the Patriots (along with getting fired) to go 33-31. Does that make him a failure??? No, he went to Seattle (as much as I dislike them) who has a good ownership and good GM and who probably listens to what he has to say and look what happened, they won a Super Bowl and have a good shot (I really hope they don't) at repeating. Bottom line is that it is completely different being a HC in college vs. the NFL. It is just a lot more red tape that CNS didn't want to deal with hence why the Dolphins have continued to be a failure to this day because of their bad ownership.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Coaching in the NFL is more managing than anything else. Saban's strength is teaching the game and talent development--and he loves recruiting. That is why he is back in the college game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.