Why American Jews eat Chinese at Christmas

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Neither am I. LOL!
I agree, although I used to like the KFC, before I found out I was gluten intolerant. Our firm used to represent the guy who owned all of the KFC franchises in the area. I learned that it's really pressure-cooked. In the strictest sense, it's not "fried" at all. The pressure enables "driving in" the cooking oil, increasing the fat and calorie content significantly over plain fried chicken. It always tasted greasy to me. IIRC, the "crispy" version even has worse nutrition than the original...

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I once ate at a McDonalds along the Champs-Élysées just for the novelty of it.

When McDonalds opened a store just outside of my base in Japan (about 1982) it was a huge event. I was very surprised that the food tasted exactly like the stateside versions, right down to the pickles (the beverages were a little different).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I once ate at a McDonalds along the Champs-Élysées just for the novelty of it.

When McDonalds opened a store just outside of my base in Japan (about 1982) it was a huge event. I was very surprised that the food tasted exactly like the stateside versions, right down to the pickles (the beverages were a little different).
My son's stepfather was stationed in Hokkaido for three years. He figured out how to hitch a trip down to the main island, Tokyo, Kyoto, etc., on a transport plane, buy bags of Big Macs and retail them out back up north for a 400% profit per burger to desperate Army brats. Of course, the army was paying for the transportation... :D

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Late to the party, as usual.

Anyway, "eating Chinese", or "the national food of our people" isn't limited to Christmas. Best place to hold a wake!

There is a joke that I can not fully remember, about a guy eating pork, in a Chinese restaurant. He is seen, through the window, by his Rabbi. The punch line is something along the line that since his ingesting the food was witnessed, by the Rabbi, that made it kosher.

Maybe you have to be Jewish, or Walter Sobchak, to get the joke.

"Three thousand year, of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax.................."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Late to the party, as usual.

Anyway, "eating Chinese", or "the national food of our people" isn't limited to Christmas. Best place to hold a wake!

There is a joke that I can not fully remember, about a guy eating pork, in a Chinese restaurant. He is seen, through the window, by his Rabbi. The punch line is something along the line that since his ingesting the food was witnessed, by the Rabbi, that made it kosher.

Maybe you have to be Jewish, or Walter Sobchak, to get the joke.

"Three thousand year, of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax.................."
The variation I've heard is about the rabbi craving pork until he decided to act on it. I went to a nearby town and ordered roast suckling pig. To his surprise, one of his members walked in, spied him and came and sat down at his table. Then the food arrived and the server lifted the lid. The rabbi exclaimed "What a place! You order a roasted apple and look how they deliver it!" :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.