Why American Jews eat Chinese at Christmas

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Pretty neat story. We're not Jewish, but have been known to head out for Chinese when away from family.
The part about adaptation is true as well. Visit any McDonald's in another country and it will definitely feel different.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That's funny. I had a Jewish law partner for over 30 years and I have a graduate law degree from NYU, a school about 90% Jewish in a city with a heavy Jewish majority. We used to joke about the Chinese/Jewish Christmas thing, but the explanation was much more plebeian. Those were the only full-service restaurants open on Christmas Day. Some of the Jewish delis would be open part of the day, but, if you were Jewish (or even if you weren't) and wanted a sit-down meal, then Chinese was it. I must say, though, that my Jewish friends did turn me on to Chinese food, or, at least, the American-slanted version. We once made friends with the owner here of a Chinese restaurant, a very successful one, and, particularly the owner's son. When we'd come in, he wouldn't let us order from the menu. He'd ask which dishes we preferred and he'd then go back in the kitchen and have them prepare the authentic version. (Hell, he may have cooked it himself; all the employees were Korean.) It was quite different but very, very good, without seeming exaggerated, like a lot of the American versions, dripping with sauce, etc...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Pretty neat story. We're not Jewish, but have been known to head out for Chinese when away from family.
The part about adaptation is true as well. Visit any McDonald's in another country and it will definitely feel different.
Went to McDonalds in London in 1986 when I was in the USAF Reserves. Ordered a plain burger with tea. Got a meat patty on a bun with butter on it. Tea was hot tea. What the...

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
Went to McDonalds in London in 1986 when I was in the USAF Reserves. Ordered a plain burger with tea. Got a meat patty on a bun with butter on it. Tea was hot tea. What the...
Yep it use to be that way in Britain, went to one in Australia it was a 3 story one huge. They had vegemite

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah, I thought at least ordering a Bic Mac would be the same. Boy was I wrong. View attachment 1922

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR
We were starving. We had driven up from Oslo, not that far, but we'd made several stops - open air museum north of Oslo and the one in Lillehammer ("Little Hammer"). I saw the arches and asked my wife what she thought, so we tried them. Totally inedible. We each ate about a half and threw the rest away. Talking about not being able to eat a burger reminded me of another time that happened. I was biking the Blue Ridge Parkway, with far too much weight, 68 lb, on my bicycle. I climbed up out of Asheville and over Mt. Mitchell, highest point east of the Mississippi. Past the top, there was an escape route west down to Burnsville, NC, and I decided to cut my losses and go that way, coming back to finish another day. Down in Burnsville, I checked into a little motel run by a young couple. I asked them where I could buy a beer. Looking sad, they told me it was a dry county. I guess seeing my face, they said that they had some of their own in the back they could sell me. I bought a six-pack and went out looking for a burger. The only one in town back then was a Hardees. I bought two double cheeseburgers. I brought them back to my quaint pine-paneled room, turned on the news, cracked a beer, took one bite and realized that, with one more bite, I'd upchuck. I was literally too tired to eat. What a waste...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The comments were interesting, especially the thread about the Chinese restaurant scene in A Christmas Story:

nobamunism 2 days agoFa Ra Ra Ra Ra......Ra Ra Ra Ra. My favorite scene from "A Christmas Story".
I never considered that the scene would be racist, but I guess people have to be outraged about something.

We were starving. We had driven up from Oslo, not that far, but we'd made several stops - open air museum north of Oslo and the one in Lillehammer ("Little Hammer"). I saw the arches and asked my wife what she thought, so we tried them. Totally inedible. We each ate about a half and threw the rest away. Talking about not being able to eat a burger reminded me of another time that happened. I was biking the Blue Ridge Parkway, with far too much weight, 68 lb, on my bicycle. I climbed up out of Asheville and over Mt. Mitchell, highest point east of the Mississippi. Past the top, there was an escape route west down to Burnsville, NC, and I decided to cut my losses and go that way, coming back to finish another day. Down in Burnsville, I checked into a little motel run by a young couple. I asked them where I could buy a beer. Looking sad, they told me it was a dry county. I guess seeing my face, they said that they had some of their own in the back they could sell me. I bought a six-pack and went out looking for a burger. The only one in town back then was a Hardees. I bought two double cheeseburgers. I brought them back to my quaint pine-paneled room, turned on the news, cracked a beer, took one bite and realized that, with one more bite, I'd upchuck. I was literally too tired to eat. What a waste...
I'm sorry to hear that man. lol

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
I work for a company that is based elsewhere, but our global sales headquarters is here in Dallas. That means that, among other things, the Dallas office has salespeople from around the world constantly funneling in and out. They are here for training, meetings, you name it. You might be surprised to find the number of them that have tried one of our McDonald's (and KFC among others I've heard) just to see what the original version is all about. They are not always enamored with the original version and menu choices here.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I work for a company that is based elsewhere, but our global sales headquarters is here in Dallas. That means that, among other things, the Dallas office has salespeople from around the world constantly funneling in and out. They are here for training, meetings, you name it. You might be surprised to find the number of them that have tried one of our McDonald's (and KFC among others I've heard) just to see what the original version is all about. They are not always enamored with the original version and menu choices here.
Neither am I. LOL!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.