SEC to Tennessee: Do Not Schedule Baylor

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Well, its kind of a punk move on the SEC's part, no? Why didn't they step in and nix the Tennessee/Oklahoma home and home?

Has anyone here even heard of this before? A conference stepping in and saying "no, you're not scheduling a home and home with that team" ?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
For one thing, this could be BS propaganda from the Baylor camp after not being able to reach an agreement on the H&H contract. Baylor might have sought a large appearance fee (or whatever they call these pay days cupcakes get) to help pay for their new stadium.

Another thing, the SEC might have be planning to take on some role in OOC scheduling in the near future. Think of the conference challenges in basketball but applied to the football season. With the SEC and ACC both standing at 14 teams and a preexisting relationship on rivalry week, could an ACC-SEC Football Challenge be on the horizon? Just speculating but it is a possibility to deduce from this news.

I tend to believe my first thought: Baylor and Tennessee were in discussions but never could agree to the terms but Baylor wanted a parting shot to make it look like they were the winners.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/sec/tennessee-volunteers.php

According to this site, Tennessee has four non-conference games for next year. They host Oklahoma, so playing Baylor would give them two tough non-conference games next year.

They start the season playing Bowling Green in Nashville. They were supposed to play UAB then but they dropped their program. Tennessee already has four games scheduled for 2016, with Virginia Tech at Bristol being their toughie.

They only have three games in 2017, with none of them being from a power league. They have West virginia (and no one else yet) in Charlotte in 2018 and Southern Cal home and home in 2021/22.

Baylor is at SMU next year and has them at home in 2016. Their next open spot is in 2018, with nothing open in 2019. They play at Duke in 2018 as their only game against someone from one of the power conferences.

My guess is Baylor called Tennessee when UAB dropped football and tried to get a game. If they wanted a home/home with Tennessee, I doubt Tennessee wanted to play their home game with them in Nashville. I would imagine backing out of their contract with Nashville would cost them a bundle.

So unless Tennessee wanted to play two tough non-conference games in one season, they could not play them any earlier than 2017 with a rematch in 2019.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't believe it for a moment. The SEC has never done it before and a lame duck Slive is definitely not going to do it. Baylor has been playing the "disrespect" card now for years. It's getting old...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Who really cares?

I don't care who Tennessee plays - I honestly don't.

I care even less who Baylor plays since it doesn't affect our BCS/AP/Poulan Weedeater/Clueless Committee ranking

It's almost like this rumor was put online to somehow suggest that Baylor or TCU was "robbed" and should be in the playoff round. But Baylor is only in the Big 12 because Ann Richards (a Baylor grad) was the governor of Texas when this all was being negotiated and she used her clout (and connections) to ensure Baylor wouldn't wind up where SMU and (to a lesser extent) TCU did in mid-major conferences. They were willing to play Kansas (as in the old Big 8 Nebraska-Oklahoma cupcake scheduling) to OU and Texas (and for that matter, Nebraska and OU) to get a tiny share of the pie.

The Texas pols take care of each other around here - that's the only reason Baylor is in the Big 12. And I'm sure it makes them feel better to rouse up a lot of "they're scared" garbage.

If I believed everything I read on the Internet, Coach Saban would be making $10 million a year at Texas, O.J. Simpson would be innocent of the murders we all know he committed, and the earth would be flat.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I've also read a rumor that the SEC prevented a Texas vs Texas A&M bowl match up.
Much more water needs to flow over Niagara Falls before this happens again. Now, they don't need to wait as long as Alabama and the Barn didn't play before 1948.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
"IF" the SEC influenced the decision to not schedule Baylor I would expect it was a suggestion as opposed to a directive. And I do mean "IF". Very well could be the SEC might be closer than we know to a 9 game conference schedule and just interjected as a courtesy. Although from my POV I'd have just let 'em walk right into the briar patch that is the Bears.

RTR!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.