DVD player help- picture is weird color

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I have this cheap DVD player that I only use occasionally. I got a dvd for Christmas that I have been watching the last couple days. The picture color is weird. Like a green tint or something. Here's a screenshot. I thought it was the cheap player, but I borrowed my parents, and it is doing the same thing. I've played around with the settings on the tv and the dvd player, and it is still like this. Maybe I'm not plugging the cords in the right spot IDK. Any advice? Other dvd's do the same thing. Has a weird color to it.

Last edited:

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
i just reread your post. so you have plugged 2 different dvd players into the tv and both show green tint and you have multiple cables.
almost certainly you have your green and blue cable swapped or one of them is loose/going bad.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
if connected by rgb cables then one is loose, going bad or you have the colors swapped. if connected by hdmi, then i have no clue

Not to really sure what I have. The cheap player has a blue, green, red cord which jives with my tv. The cable that my parents have is red, white, yellow. My tv doesn't have a port that jives with the yellow cord unless it will work in a different port.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
i just reread your post. so you have plugged 2 different dvd players into the tv and both show green tint and you have multiple cables.
almost certainly you have your green and blue cable swapped or one of them is loose/going bad.
Must be going bad then because when I switch the green and blue cable it is black and gray. I'll see if I can find a newer cord to see if that helps.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Hi, Jessica. Maybe I can help. In YCbCr component video, which is almost certainly what you're describing, the green is the luma and sync signal. It carries no chroma. That's why the color is black and white when the other two are unplugged. The red and blue carry the chroma. There should be five total cables. The red, green and blue for video, and a red and white for stereo audio.

The yellow is called composite video. The luma, chroma and sync are all wrapped up into one cable. It sucks.

The cables are all interchangeable. They're simply coax with RCA connectors on the ends. They're only color coded for convenience.

TROUBLESHOOTING

Make sure the cables are plugged in to the proper inputs. It can be confusing with the another red audio cable. They should all be labeled, but still confusing.

-or-

Go into your TV's settings menu and make sure the component video input is set to YCbCr or YPbPr rather than RGB.

-or-

Do the same on the DVD player. Make sure it's set to YCbCr or YPbPr output.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It can also be the red port on the TV itself. Your TV is probably coming in from a cable box which has its own HDMI interface. We have one TV with a bad red port and, if I don't fool with it, using some tape to make sure I have a connection, the picture looks exactly like that. With any of the players plugged in, try wiggling the red plug. If normal color comes back intermittently, then you've found your culprit...

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I tried fooling with it this morning, but I'm not getting it to work any better. Here is how the back of my tv looks and how I have the cables connected. This gives me the green tint while watching dvd's.

And here is how the dvd player is connected. Do I need to use part of the other cord that has the red, white, yellow options?

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
your red cable on the dvd should be moved up to red port beside the blue. the red on the tv needs to be moved left beside the blue. when you do that the pic should be fine but there will be no audio.

then you need a separate audio cable to go from where you currently have the red cable hooked up. if you have red and a white, hook them up to where you currently have the red and the white port next to it. (if yellow is with it, then just leave the yellow unplugged on both ends.

bazza has the perfect image. follow that and you should be good to go. the only thing that may be confusing is that they colored the red wires as yellow/orange. most of the time they are indeed red.

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Thanks guys. I finally got it working correctly. I had to use the red and white portion of the other cord, but no more green. And I moved the cords around like ya'll said.

Thanks for the help!

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Thanks guys. I finally got it working correctly. I had to use the red and white portion of the other cord, but no more green. And I moved the cords around like ya'll said.

Thanks for the help!
Looking at your setup, you won't be getting audio. You were getting at least the right stereo channel before by virtue of having the Pr cable connected to the red stereo inputs and outputs on the tv and dvd player respectively.

You'll need another two cables. Sometimes they come wrapped up in threes with a red, yellow and white.

Connect it the the R & L outputs on DVD player and R & L inputs on the TV. If there is a third cable, like a yellow attached, ignore it.

TV----------------DVD

Y------Green------Y
Pb-----Blue-------Pb
Pr-----Red--------Pr
R-----Red--------R
L-----White------L

EDIT: Somebody has already answered, I see. gmart is correct. It might be a good idea to print out Bazza's pic.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.