Link: USA Today Article: The meaning behind 'We Want Bama'

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
click here

The article is full of goodness...

The message in the phrase is about much more than this season's results, or what happens in the next couple of weeks.

The Crimson Tide has won three of the past five national championships. Under Nick Saban, Alabama has become the standard by which college football measures itself.

...last month, Kansas students chanted it while tearing down a goal post after beating Iowa State. The Jayhawks finished 3-9. You have to figure they didn't really want Bama

As a phenomenon, Simons says, "We want Bama" is symbolic of beating your chest, seeking prestige and recognition.

When it comes to "We want Bama," the best response might have come last season from a Crimson Tide fan. Alabama had just beaten LSU at Bryant-Denny Stadium. Near the goal line, standing along the fencing, he held a hand-lettered poster:

"Y'ALL Don't

WANT

BAMA"

Most often during Saban's tenure, the Tide fan's message has turned out to be true. As it turned out, y'all probably really did not want Bama.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
What they're REALLY saying is this:

We Want TO BE Bama!!!!

But y'all can't be Alabama because there's only one Alabama, and we are Alabama

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If/when we win it ALL, then I'll have to get one of those T-shirts. I'll wear it everywhere in Texas: even to Church! Let me think about that again. Would that be a Christ-like deed or thing to do? Probably not, but input from you could help.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
If/when we win it ALL, then I'll have to get one of those T-shirts. I'll wear it everywhere in Texas: even to Church! Let me think about that again. Would that be a Christ-like deed or thing to do? Probably not, but input from you could help.
Jesus probably has one. I think it would be okay!

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well idk about church lol.

Bob Minton

1st Team
Dec 4, 2011
We were at the Army/Navy game a couple weeks ago in Baltimore at the stadium where the Ravens play. While wandering around we saw someone carrying a sign with the Ravens logos and colors saying 'We Want Bama'! Couldn't get my camera out fast enough to snap the picture but it was certainly good for a chuckle

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was thinking the same, except not the church part... :)

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I think it would be O.K. ;)

Eze 20:29 "Then I said to them, ‘What is this high place to which you go?’ So its name is called Bamah to this day."’

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Great Story.... Those signs and shirts are very flattering. It truly is great to be a Bama fan, I know it will not last forever , But let's enjoy it while it lasts.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
If I knew how to photo shop I would make King Kong holding a I Want Bama Sign as the bi planes circle him. Bagdad Bob holding sign There Are No Bama Fans within a hundred miles of Bagdad as Coach Saban smiles in the background.

I gotta go find a print version of this article. Roll Tide. I suppose it is in the Weekend edition of.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.