Length (in time) of Football Games since 2008

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...ength-of-college-football-games-a-5980583.php

"Balloning game length a growing concern: Era of record scoring responsible for average jumping 14 minutes since 2008, to 3 hours and 23 minutes"

This article from the Houston Chronicle shows the increased length of games. "The NCAA Football Rules Committee expects to discuss the issue when it meets in February," according to Rogers Redding.

There has been a gradual 14 minute increase since 2008. I guess more plays, maybe more TV timeouts for commercials, etc. Looks like games would be shorter since the clock still runs after catching a pass and running out of bounds unless it's less than 2 minutes in the quarter. I do still want that clock to stop on 1st downs. I hope they don't change that rule. Otherwise it could keep a team from coming back and winning in the last minute or tying (like Bama vs LSU). I wonder if they considered the number of games going into overtime.

The reason I really posted this was because I have DVRed at least 2 games this year where when I reviewed the games I was not able to see the end of those games. The DVRing had stopped while the game was still in progress.
1. Alabama vs Auburn (NOT an OT game)
2. Alabama vs LSU (An OT game)

I do have Comcast. When I initially DVRed these games as well as others, it ask if I wanted to extend the time by 30 minutes and I always do this. This didn't work in these two games.

So, for the SEC Championship games, I DVRed the games with an additional 30 minutes and DVRed the program that was to come after it: Wheel of Fortune. So, that way I got to go back and see the entire game with interviews of Coach Saban. I only hoped my wife didn't delete the Wheel of Fortune show listed on my DVRed programs.

Have any of the rest of you guys had this problem?

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
An extra 14 minutes gives my just enough time to drink one more beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Incomplete passes add time to the games but the biggest impact is probably scoring. Everytime a team scores there is time for resetting the field and doing a kickoff. If the score is a touchdown, there is also time for the extra point. If it is a televised game (not a big if these days) then there are commercials piled in after the scores between kickoffs. A low scoring game still gets its share, to some extent, after punts.

I wonder if there are more reviews of penalties and plays now?

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...ength-of-college-football-games-a-5980583.php

"Balloning game length a growing concern: Era of record scoring responsible for average jumping 14 minutes since 2008, to 3 hours and 23 minutes"

This article from the Houston Chronicle shows the increased length of games. "The NCAA Football Rules Committee expects to discuss the issue when it meets in February," according to Rogers Redding.

There has been a gradual 14 minute increase since 2008. I guess more plays, maybe more TV timeouts for commercials, etc. Looks like games would be shorter since the clock still runs after catching a pass and running out of bounds unless it's less than 2 minutes in the quarter. I do still want that clock to stop on 1st downs. I hope they don't change that rule. Otherwise it could keep a team from coming back and winning in the last minute or tying (like Bama vs LSU). I wonder if they considered the number of games going into overtime.

The reason I really posted this was because I have DVRed at least 2 games this year where when I reviewed the games I was not able to see the end of those games. The DVRing had stopped while the game was still in progress.
1. Alabama vs Auburn (NOT an OT game)
2. Alabama vs LSU (An OT game)

I do have Comcast. When I initially DVRed these games as well as others, it ask if I wanted to extend the time by 30 minutes and I always do this. This didn't work in these two games.

So, for the SEC Championship games, I DVRed the games with an additional 30 minutes and DVRed the program that was to come after it: Wheel of Fortune. So, that way I got to go back and see the entire game with interviews of Coach Saban. I only hoped my wife didn't delete the Wheel of Fortune show listed on my DVRed programs.

Have any of the rest of you guys had this problem?
Yes, I have, with Comcast. The idea behind the new clock rule was to shorten the game. I knew that CBS would just seize the opportunity to squeeze in more commercials...

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
The HUNH is part of the reason for longer games but also I think more parity in college football is another reason. With more competitive games each team is going to do whatever they feel it takes to generate points when on offense. When there were more mismatches the dominant team got a big early lead then started running the ball a lot just to eat up time and avoid being accused of running up the score.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I rarely tape games but I always add extra time, at least an hour, onto the record time when I do. I also set it to record the next show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I always DVR it an extra hour. I have Xfinity by Comcast, btw. However, that extra hour is not always enough.

CBS games run almost four hours average by my estimation. That's a lot of Sonic and Chik-Fil-A commercials.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
We always DVR the next hour as well. Part of it is that kickoff is sometimes 20 minutes after the start of the broadcast

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
"under further review" is part of the problem. Another is a team, like I just watched yesterday, where the losing HC calls time out two times and prolongs the game when the game is clearly over. I suppose the HC is trying to sent the message that every play is important and we don't quit. Well! This same HC took all 29 seconds on the last two plays of the first half and purposely let the clock run out. Duh. Stupid on both ends of the half.

If every play is important then he should have been in his 2 min. drill and trying to get the FG range instead of letting the clock run down.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
One idea would to be just skip the extra point. After a touchdown have the next play be the kickoff unless the scoring team wanted to go for two. 99% of extra points are made so it's pretty pointless to go through the process of kicking one after every touchdown. I think it would add up to a lot of time saved, especially in high scoring games..

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
One idea would to be just skip the extra point. After a touchdown have the next play be the kickoff unless the scoring team wanted to go for two. 99% of extra points are made so it's pretty pointless to go through the process of kicking one after every touchdown. I think it would add up to a lot of time saved, especially in high scoring games..
I agree. I have thought they ought to move the PAT back at least ten yards to make the issue more in doubt. As it is it pretty much is Automatic Point after TD.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I believe it was recently talked about. Move the PAT back 10-15 yds and create more situations in which the offense may go for two. Could be interesting.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
The 1% that are not made sure helped us at Arkansas. The PAT and for the most part, the game itself, are not to blame so much as the commercials. College football is such a high dollar extravaganza now days that it takes all these sponsors to make a broadcast happen. I fear the day is coming when we'll have commercials after every 1st down.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

The extra point miss in overtime by BC is the reason PSU won yesterday.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
The only time it really bugs me is when our game is scheduled to be televised but the previous game (or race or whatever) isn't finished yet. Meanwhile our game is halfway through the first quarter and we're still watching something else. I know sports can sometimes go over, but it's as if they don't plan ahead better for those possibilities.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
It is not the on field action that has increased the length of games, at least not by a huge margin. The only reason games approach 3 1/2 to 4 hours is because of TV and the almighty ad dollars.

If it was only the on field action and higher scoring then west coast games should be generally longer but, CBS games are almost a half hour longer or more then most ESPN PAC12 games.

This will never change and only get worse because the networks are not going to give up the money.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Forgot to address the recording issue. I add an hour to the game when scheduling a football or basketball game.

Seems like every other Bama basketball game has a previous game go into overtime and then the Bama game comes in at about 8 minutes into the game. ESPN is nice enough to start the Bama game on another channel like ESPN-News until the first game is finished but my recorder doen't recognize this.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Annoying, no doubt.

It is a price to pay - so to speak - for having almost every game of consequence available to watch. Who would chose to only have two/three college football games watchable on a weekend? I'll gladly put up with the annoyances . . . ven JeEsse Palmer![barf]

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.