Backyard bowl games not exactly fair.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Ohio State’s 0-8 bowl record vs. Southeastern Conference schools — not counting a win over Arkansas in the 2011 Sugar Bowl that was vacated — is more about superior SEC speed and coaching than bowl location.

But common sense suggests that bowl location has some bearing on outcome, which can mean the difference in games between evenly matched teams.

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/12/28/1228_oller_column.html

Let the Excuses begin. I think Louisana has been hostile territory for Alabama since 2007. Probably more folks there want tOSU to win than for Bama to win.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
These are the type of fans I can't stand and they are legion from Ohio State.

Not one of them ever complains about a 70 degree day in Pasadena, though.

I'm just saying.

jef0071

Suspended
Dec 19, 2005
Hewitt, Texas, United States
Ohio State’s 0-8 bowl record vs. Southeastern Conference schools — not counting a win over Arkansas in the 2011 Sugar Bowl that was vacated — is more about superior SEC speed and coaching than bowl location.

But common sense suggests that bowl location has some bearing on outcome, which can mean the difference in games between evenly matched teams.

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/12/28/1228_oller_column.html

Let the Excuses begin. I think Louisana has been hostile territory for Alabama since 2007. Probable more folks there want tOSU to win that for Bama to win.
trust me, the corn dogs have been hating ALABAMA looooong before 2007 and CNS. their hatred and obsession over ALABAMA is equal to the barners.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'm surprised that an Ohio State writer would complain about location this time. His team is the #4 seed and we're the #1 seed. I think being the #1 seed earns Alabama the right to have the game played in SEC country.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I'm surprised that an Ohio State writer would complain about location this time. His team is the #4 seed and we're the #1 seed. I think being the #1 seed earns Alabama the right to have the game played in SEC country.
Exactly. You don't see top seeds in the NCAA basketball tourney having to travel far.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
How to bring more equity to the bowl location situation? First, expand the playoffs and play first-round games at the home stadiums of higher seeds.
So we are number one and we would play the first game in T'town.
Oh, That would be a huge disadvantage for us.

Imagine Alabama visiting Ohio Stadium in mid-December. Do they make parkas in crimson and white?
First you got to get ranked above us. Call when you can accomplish that, OK?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If Ohio Stadium is such a presumed advantage, how in the world did the Buckeyes lose to Va Tech AT HOME?

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005

Let the Excuses begin. I think Louisana has been hostile territory for Alabama since 2007. Probably more folks there want tOSU to win than for Bama to win.
OSU kicked Arkansas in the teeth and the win being vacated does not change the fact that they won. Good grief. I know they are a B1G team, but give them the credit they are due.

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I don't really recall this argument when the Big 10 Championship was played at Lucas Oil Stadium, 2 hours and 40 minutes from Ohio State and 5 hours and 10 minutes from University of Wisconsin.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
OSU kicked Arkansas in the teeth and the win being vacated does not change the fact that they won. Good grief. I know they are a B1G team, but give them the credit they are due.
Did you even watch that game?

Look, I'll give OSU credit and you're correct that the win being vacated doesn't change that.

However....Ohio State led 31-13 in the third quarter. The final was 31-26, and Arkansas had the ball at the Ohio State 18 with about 69 seconds left and a chance to win. It's not like the Buckeyes won 59-0.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I guess the answer is to play a major bowl game in Ohio in January. That will be well-attended.

The major bowls are where they are (Miami, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Arizona) because the weather doesn't stink in January. Blame geophysics if you want to, but those are just the facts.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.