Team Flight Charter Not on Delta?

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
I'm aware of all that and I don't really blame the various municipalities.. (Do I remember something like 60 overlapping?) The crazy quilt is unmanageable for something like that. What I blame Delta for is continuing to funnel people into a hopeless dead end. Years ago, Delta decided to place all their apples in one barrel, so they had little latitude to offload to other hubs. I really wished I had followed my daughter's advice (she has logged many millions of miles in flight), canceled my ticket and fought it out with Delta on the refund.

Here in HSV, we get "inconvenience" snows every couple of years. Christmas, 2010, we had about 8" on the mountain and about 4" in the valley, which largely melted off rapidly. Ours hung around for about two weeks, at which time we got a about a 10" on the mountain and about 8" in the valley, which stuck, since the valley was well below freezing at that time. However, the plows and salt trucks sprung into action and got the main thoroughfares cleared quickly. (On my little dead end, we have to wait a while longer and use the 4x4 Tacoma or the AWD Subaru.) About five years ago, I'd taken my little Miata to an early MD appt and, when I got out, there was already about 2" on the ground and I ended up having to follow a salt truck up to the mountain. In HSV, as spread out geographically as it is, snow removal can still be managed. Back in the 70s, there was a mayor here, been in office several terms, who made the same excuse you did for ATL. He lost and the next mayor spent millions on snow removal equipment...
Oh I completely agree on the Delta thing, and I was highly critical of Atlanta. If they aren't going to buy the equipment, then we as citizens need to not be on the roads when the storm arrives. But as much as Atlanta spends on stadiums for subpar sports teams, snow/ice shouldn't be an issue. My county spent a little bit a few years ago and the main roads were clear within a day.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh I completely agree on the Delta thing, and I was highly critical of Atlanta. If they aren't going to buy the equipment, then we as citizens need to not be on the roads when the storm arrives. But as much as Atlanta spends on stadiums for subpar sports teams, snow/ice shouldn't be an issue. My county spent a little bit a few years ago and the main roads were clear within a day.
Problem is that, while your county may clear, the next one over might not. When riding back to his house with our nephew, it was wild, with all the differing street conditions. I was glad he had a a 4x4 SUV. In terms of SMA population, Huntsville is second to the Birmingham SMA, a little ahead of Mobile. (The Bham SMA is a bit over twice HSV.) However, HSV is the largest geographically, by far, but it's all one government, except for the two counties, Limestone and Madison, and, of course, the surrounded enclave of the City of Madison (we may share road-clearing, IDK). That's just a lot more manageable situation...

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
My experience with Delta is that they'll gladly strand you in ATL if you let them. Their philosophy seems to be to get their aircraft to Atlanta (with us on them!) come hell or high water even when there's no hope of making connections. This is in contrast to American, which will gladly and proactively route you around Chicago when the weather gets messy up there.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
My experience with Delta is that they'll gladly strand you in ATL if you let them. Their philosophy seems to be to get their aircraft to Atlanta (with us on them!) come hell or high water even when there's no hope of making connections. This is in contrast to American, which will gladly and proactively route you around Chicago when the weather gets messy up there.

Well, don't even discuss US Air...ugh. Will never use them again...ever. Got stranded in Frankfurt for a day while waiting on a "routine" part to arrive from Hamburg's docks (??/!!!) and while we were getting on the plane, the cowling was off the port engine and they were installing it just before a "routine" hop to Charlotte, where we had ANOTHER delay of almost 14 hours trying to get home.

Needless to say, I'm not a US Air FF member.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.