What do you look for at the start of the game?

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
Curious to know what this bunch looks for during the first few minutes of a game as sort of a predictor of how things will go.
I usually look at the line of scrimmage....which side is getting a push...whether the pile going in our direction at the end of runs...that type of thing. Basically, which team is in charge of the trenches. It's sort of a simplistic approach but often gives an indication of what's to come. With spread offenses and attacking the perimeters and open spaces, its probably less important now than it was years ago.
Thoughts?
RTR

Bama_J

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2012
The white flag from Urban. Seriously, I'll be looking at which line is pushing the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Look at the ND Championship Game

i really think we start Strong like that 28-0 at half would not surprise me. The 3rd QTR scares me, has all year but they always turn it back on in the 4th.

its gonna be a blow out.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I think OSU scores on one of first 2 possessions. But scoring gets scarce after that.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I want attitude and intensity. Assignment football on defense to let the offense build a lead, and focus to not let them back up.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I always assume we'll get down early, so I'll expect it again. I don't think you can take a whole lot of whatever happens on the first two drives for either team.

The exception was the 2009 SECCG. When Florida ran their speed option with shuttle pass option and we blew it up I knew we were going to win - we were right where we needed to be.

If our secondary makes some plays early on I'll feel good, otherwise I'll be worried until we're up by 40.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I'm looking at how OSU is covering Cooper and how Sims & Kiffin handle it.

If Drake were available, I'd expect an early dose of targeting him as a receiver - ideally covered by a linebacker. I wonder if Kiffin has found someone else to fill that role.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I'm looking at how OSU is covering Cooper and how Sims & Kiffin handle it.

If Drake were available, I'd expect an early dose of targeting him as a receiver - ideally covered by a linebacker. I wonder if Kiffin has found someone else to fill that role.
A. Stewart, maybe, especially if he`s well?

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Not having seen Bama play other spread offenses this season, I'm curious to see how they will choose to defend esp with a very inexperienced QB behind center. Do they commit a safety to the line of scrimmage taking away the run game and dare Jones to throw or ?????? Does Nick/Kirby have enough confidence in their corners to match up against this group of WR? Given the struggles the Bama DBb's have had downfield this season, the first couple possessions will tell us alot about this matchup....and related, can the Buckeye O-line hold up against the Bama front and keep Jones clean in the pocket with enough time to throw downfield......

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have heard that Kiffin scripts his first 10-15 plays. I am not sure how we will cover Cooper, but if we play the same defense that we did against MSU, you might struggle early on.

When we played MSU, we played man vs their best WR and corners behind that. It opened up the middle of the field and MSU killed us on the ground - but we shut down their passing game.

If you come out with a game plan that relies too heavily on Cooper during those scripted plays, it could cost you a few possessions until you adapt.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I'll add that I will be looking at Blake's confidence level. I hope to see him hitting passes, giving arm pumps, and scrambling for first downs when the pocket breaks down.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I think we have been effective on 3rd down when we have our rush unit in and play zone. Gets pressure on the QB and the CBs can keep everthing in front of them including the QB if he breaks to run.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think We will defer the kickoff to OSU... because we want the ball to start second half. (If we win the toss.) I think we'll do something simple to see what that Jones kid can do... kick the tire a little. now, if we get the ball first on offense, I think we'll start off with a screen pass to Cooper or White. I expect OSU to put safety on the top to limit Cooper, but That's okay. I think Kiffin will call a touchdown pass within 5 plays... I think once we are up 21-0, we will slow down, and control the game a little.. make it frustrating for Offense to get it going.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.