What do you look for at the start of the game?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I seriously doubt it. 5 of the scripts plays are targeted to Cooper. (Cooper said it the other day) and honestly, it's a scripted plays... It's how we execute those plays. OSU might zero on Cooper too much and That leaves Jones and White and Howard to open up and that's not good for OSU Defense.
I have heard that Kiffin scripts his first 10-15 plays. I am not sure how we will cover Cooper, but if we play the same defense that we did against MSU, you might struggle early on.

When we played MSU, we played man vs their best WR and corners behind that. It opened up the middle of the field and MSU killed us on the ground - but we shut down their passing game.

If you come out with a game plan that relies too heavily on Cooper during those scripted plays, it could cost you a few possessions until you adapt.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Alabama played lot of spread teams this season. Our Secondary will be okay. They improved a lot in Missouri Game, and everyone seems to forget that the big plays by Auburn and Missouri was plays that could've been broke up, but didn't. we didn't execute well on those deep passes. Smart said yesterday that we got exposed in Auburn and that was something that should've never happened, but he is glad it happened, and it woke Jones, Jackson, Brown and others up. I honestly believe they will be okay. We might give up 1 or 2 deep pases, but as long we win, we'll be okay. QUOTE=Tbux;2556340]Not having seen Bama play other spread offenses this season, I'm curious to see how they will choose to defend esp with a very inexperienced QB behind center. Do they commit a safety to the line of scrimmage taking away the run game and dare Jones to throw or ?????? Does Nick/Kirby have enough confidence in their corners to match up against this group of WR? Given the struggles the Bama DBb's have had downfield this season, the first couple possessions will tell us alot about this matchup....and related, can the Buckeye O-line hold up against the Bama front and keep Jones clean in the pocket with enough time to throw downfield......[/QUOTE]

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
For me it is first downs byt both teams. I ignore the really big plays (40+) because usually that was something a hole found in tape and was a one shot deal, or maybe just one unusual look the defense never saw. So if the offense comes in the first couple of possessions and is able to consistently get first downs, to me tends to show how the game trends.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Alabama can have 10 first downs and OSU can have 20 first downs and bama still will win. Why? Bama can score on 3 plays.. and OSU can take 20 plays to just get a touchdown... that kills lot of time and not good for OSU.

For me it is first downs byt both teams. I ignore the really big plays (40+) because usually that was something a hole found in tape and was a one shot deal, or maybe just one unusual look the defense never saw. So if the offense comes in the first couple of possessions and is able to consistently get first downs, to me tends to show how the game trends.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Not having seen Bama play other spread offenses this season, I'm curious to see how they will choose to defend esp with a very inexperienced QB behind center. Do they commit a safety to the line of scrimmage taking away the run game and dare Jones to throw or ?????? Does Nick/Kirby have enough confidence in their corners to match up against this group of WR? Given the struggles the Bama DBb's have had downfield this season, the first couple possessions will tell us alot about this matchup....and related, can the Buckeye O-line hold up against the Bama front and keep Jones clean in the pocket with enough time to throw downfield......
Are you sure that we are not going to see Braxton Miller in this game? However, with the way Cardale Jones played against Wisconsin, looks like he'd been doing that all season.

I think many Bama people are over-confident and idealistic. I'm more of a realist. I think this is going to be a tough close game. It could be a high scoring close tough game. Now, I'm hoping for an Aggie vs Bama type of game as opposed to a Wisconsin vs tOSU type of game.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I have heard that Kiffin scripts his first 10-15 plays. I am not sure how we will cover Cooper, but if we play the same defense that we did against MSU, you might struggle early on.

When we played MSU, we played man vs their best WR and corners behind that. It opened up the middle of the field and MSU killed us on the ground - but we shut down their passing game.

If you come out with a game plan that relies too heavily on Cooper during those scripted plays, it could cost you a few possessions until you adapt.
"#9 is better than any of your guys." - Gary Danielson

;)

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
How our secondary handles the deep ball. They will test us deep right from the start.
If we kick off to them to start the game and are able to stop them around the 20 yard line (their 20 not ours) on the K-O, I think their first play will be a BOMB to loosen us up.

One of my biggest concerns for this game is the Bama O-line blocking the Buckeye defensive line and linebackers. I'm hoping that Blake Sims has no problem with the rush from the tOSU defense.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Not having seen Bama play other spread offenses this season, I'm curious to see how they will choose to defend esp with a very inexperienced QB behind center. Do they commit a safety to the line of scrimmage taking away the run game and dare Jones to throw or ?????? Does Nick/Kirby have enough confidence in their corners to match up against this group of WR? Given the struggles the Bama DBb's have had downfield this season, the first couple possessions will tell us alot about this matchup....and related, can the Buckeye O-line hold up against the Bama front and keep Jones clean in the pocket with enough time to throw downfield......
We will key on the run and make you one dimensional. We have been burned at times with the deep ball but we've gotten lucky with some INTs this year also. It will be a good game that is for sure.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
If we are on offense first the first couple of snaps I watch the LT and I take notice of player mannerisms (sometimes fear can be seen ;) ) in between plays. After a few plays we are generally down the field already so naturally I start studying the defense and watch the QB and try to watch what he see's

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.