Biggest Concern vs. OSU? / Mine of Alabama.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
To be honest and I say this with ALL RESPECT. My only concern is us "not showing up" and coming out slow and flat and giving the Buckeyes an early 10-14 point lead due to it.

That is my only concern. Otherwise, if we show up and play Crimson Tide football, there are zero worries.

It seems Bama allows a team to mount drives on its first couple of possessions before settling into the game. This is a legitimate concern. Especially if OSU starts with good field position.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
My concern is OSU and how motivated they will be. They are a strong, physically talented and hungry football team. They feel like they are being slighted in the press...have we seen this movie before? Their QB is talented and has nothing to lose...can let it all hang out.

We are in for the battle of our lives and I am praying we win, even if by 1 point.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It seems Bama allows a team to mount drives on its first couple of possessions before settling into the game. This is a legitimate concern. Especially if OSU starts with good field position.
I expect if we have the choice, we will start the game playing offense.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Bama turnovers; fumbles or pass interceptions. I don't have the numbers but IIRC, OSU has a very good turnover margin and Bama's stinks. OSU will probably go for strips on the ball carriers early. If the two teams are closely matched then turnovers can make the difference in the game.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
You know if you paid attention to OSU's comments this week, you would probably notice that they were throwing shades at our QB and our secondary... and the defense. This week, I've heard them said that our defense was basic, Sims good but not great, defense can't handle deep ball, etc... It's them that is talking trash, but we're not doing anything. Makes me wonder if they will be overhyped for the game... They haven't been on this stage in a while.. but we have...

My concern is OSU and how motivated they will be. They are a strong, physically talented and hungry football team. They feel like they are being slighted in the press...have we seen this movie before? Their QB is talented and has nothing to lose...can let it all hang out.

We are in for the battle of our lives and I am praying we win, even if by 1 point.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
You know if you paid attention to OSU's comments this week, you would probably notice that they were throwing shades at our QB and our secondary... and the defense. This week, I've heard them said that our defense was basic, Sims good but not great, defense can't handle deep ball, etc... It's them that is talking trash, but we're not doing anything. Makes me wonder if they will be overhyped for the game... They haven't been on this stage in a while.. but we have...
Is this what some of the OSU players have been saying? I've barely read anything said by the Bama players let alone OSU players.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not at all.....I would take Cooper all day long over Smith. Cooper is the total package and is far superior to Smith as a well rounded receiver. My comment was much more focused on a single element and that is if you were to put together a short list of deep threats in the country, Smith would be on that list......30 Td's with a 40 yard per catch average certainly has to get him in the discussion and nobody knows that more than Kirby Smart. It's a threat they have to account for every play which then provides other opportunities as a result.....glad he's on our side but of course I'd rather have Cooper
On one of your sites (not Scout, etc.), I was surprised to see our receivers dismissed as "possession type receivers in the NFL," no deep threats. Of course abysmal ignorance can been found everywhere, but even just an ESPN or Google of highlights of Cooper would show him to be a deep threat. (Really the others can be also, particularly White and Stewart, who is now healthy.) They were using Cooper as a decoy and throwing to him before he got injured...

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Particularly Bosa led pressure leading to turnovers. If tOSU wins the game it will mean that Bama turned it over 3 or more times. As long as Sims and co. take care of the ball we win by > 2 scores.
Exactly. IMO He is the most likely player who could affect the game in a way that could hurt us. I do worry that Sims could get happy feet and flustered. Blake's numbers look like a guy who has done a good job taking care of the ball, but we do know that he probably should have 3 or 4 more interceptions from balls that were thrown right at defenders.

Bosa affecting him is my biggest concern, but I am not overly concerned. Sims has also proven himself in big games, and in tough situations. He has a lot to draw from even if it is only this year. I expect him to do it again even if OSU is able to get in his face a lot.

Last edited:

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
I haven't seen anything but the utmost respect for Bama and it's players.....if you have seen something, please post the link so we can read it......this is not a trash talking team or staff, it would be out of character

300Buckeye

Dec 12, 2014
Jones isn't very explosive if I'm not mistaken. I saw him listed with a 4.9 40 and 29" vertical coming out of HS. Seems like more of a Ben Roethlisberger than Cam Newton.
After watching him (in practice and game) for the last two years, I'd say he falls somewhere between the two. Cam is definitely shiftier and has better top end speed but Cardale is more athletic than Roethlisberger.

Great chatter on the original question though gents and ladies. I acknowledge your concerns of the deep ball and the 3rd and long conversions. Luckily we have Devin Smith (26ypc) who I hope has a great game. On the flip side, if your secondary shuts down the deep ball early, it's going to make it really tough sledding for us to get a consistent run game going. Against strong defenses, we have definitely been using the home run throws early to loosen up the line of scrimmage.

Bama fans - what are your thoughts on Yeldon's hamstring? Has he been playing below his typical skill level and if he goes down or looks off, I know that means more Henry but do you think it will change your game plan much? We have other backs but would suffer a good deal without Elliott. Would an every down Henry be as effective late into the game versus a relatively fresh one?

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I remember players saying Brandon Slyve was the fastest guy on the team?
Bradley and Amari were jawing back and forth during spring ball after Amari clocked a 4.31. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tony Brown or Marlon Humphrey take them both depending on the distance.

To say Amari, Deandrew or even Christion are not deep threats is simply ignorance.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I haven't seen anything but the utmost respect for Bama and it's players.....if you have seen something, please post the link so we can read it......this is not a trash talking team or staff, it would be out of character

Blake Sims 'not quite as good as Braxton' Miller, but Buckeyes compare Alabama QB to injured star

"I think it's like Braxton, but not quite as good as Braxton," linebacker Michael Bennett said.

Confident Buckeyes tired of underdog role, linebacker says SEC 'just a conference to me'

"There hasn't been a zone team in college football that's been able to handle us so far this season, but they're just really big guys, really athletic guys and they've been able to manhandle defensive lines and linebackers all year," Bennett said.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
One of my concerns and I heard Meyer refer to it in his Press Conference today. I'm really surprised he even said it. If you say it,
you're more than likely thinking it and possibly preparing for it. You look at ALL weaknesses so that you can take advantage of your
opponent.

The punt rush. We almost had 2 punts blocked this year because of a bad snap or the punter mishandling the ball. On both #15
recovered and ended up with great punts. However, if there had been a punt rush, I don't think he would have gotten either punt
off.

Kick-off coverage is another concern. I really wish our kicker would kick the ball through the uprights or at least out of the end zone
on every kick. I know that's hard but at least 50+% would help.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
After watching him (in practice and game) for the last two years, I'd say he falls somewhere between the two. Cam is definitely shiftier and has better top end speed but Cardale is more athletic than Roethlisberger.

Great chatter on the original question though gents and ladies. I acknowledge your concerns of the deep ball and the 3rd and long conversions. Luckily we have Devin Smith (26ypc) who I hope has a great game. On the flip side, if your secondary shuts down the deep ball early, it's going to make it really tough sledding for us to get a consistent run game going. Against strong defenses, we have definitely been using the home run throws early to loosen up the line of scrimmage.

Bama fans - what are your thoughts on Yeldon's hamstring? Has he been playing below his typical skill level and if he goes down or looks off, I know that means more Henry but do you think it will change your game plan much? We have other backs but would suffer a good deal without Elliott. Would an every down Henry be as effective late into the game versus a relatively fresh one?
IMO Henry would be more effective if given the ball more. He seems to be one of those guys that needs to get his lather up to be at his most effective.

But on the Yeldon question I think he has had enough time to get closer to right. He has been playing hurt.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.