Biggest Concern vs. OSU? / Mine of Alabama.

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Re: Sims - This is the same article. The kids are quite complimentary of Sims actually....hard to find smack talk here. Do you think it would be smack talk if somebody was saying that Devin Smith is a really good receiver, but not quite as good as Amari Cooper? I don't think so, I wouldn't......but that's just me

"I think the guy has really quick twitch, really fast. I remember watching a couple games where I was going 'Ooof, that's pretty dangerous.' He can keep plays alive if he wants to, but he can also make plays downfield if he wants to.
"We really haven't seen one like this yet, I don't think," All-American defensive end Joey Bosa said. "It's almost like facing Braxton Miller, that's the closest thing I could say. I think he's very similar with his feet as him. We've just got to be careful with pass rushing."
As far as the second quote you referenced above, Bennett is saying they are really big, really athletic and have been manhandling defensive lines and linebackers all year.......and that is smack??? C'mon man......

Plenty of good things to discuss about this game without having to make stuff up.......

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Sims - This is the same article. The kids are quite complimentary of Sims actually....hard to find smack talk here. Do you think it would be smack talk if somebody was saying that Devin Smith is a really good receiver, but not quite as good as Amari Cooper? I don't think so, I wouldn't......but that's just me

As far as the second quote you referenced above, Bennett is saying they are really big, really athletic and have been manhandling defensive lines and linebackers all year.......and that is smack??? C'mon man......

Plenty of good things to discuss about this game without having to make stuff up.......

Why even compare your opponent to a teammate? I'm not saying it's smack. Just posting the parts that can be interpreted as smack. I wouldn't care for one of our players to make a comparison like that.

Yes, Bennett compliments the Bama OL. He also says, "There hasn't been a zone team in college football that's been able to handle us so far this season." A better way to say that without giving anyone the ability to claim smack "We've handled zone blocking teams this year, but... (insert the rest of the quote)." No need to give the media that one quote it wants to use.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The bad punt in missouri, that wasn't on Scott. It was on Mazza. The snap was super low to the ground. Our Kickoff Coverage has improved each game. Saban sometime want the ball pinned, not always kick into the end zone.... We have been doing both of that this season. I think our Kickoff is decent.
One of my concerns and I heard Meyer refer to it in his Press Conference today. I'm really surprised he even said it. If you say it,
you're more than likely thinking it and possibly preparing for it. You look at ALL weaknesses so that you can take advantage of your
opponent.

The punt rush. We almost had 2 punts blocked this year because of a bad snap or the punter mishandling the ball. On both #15
recovered and ended up with great punts. However, if there had been a punt rush, I don't think he would have gotten either punt
off.

Kick-off coverage is another concern. I really wish our kicker would kick the ball through the uprights or at least out of the end zone
on every kick. I know that's hard but at least 50+% would help.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I really don' think OSU has room to talk about our Defense and Offense.... We faced real good teams tht was better than what OSU faced... We faced Florida, Arkansas, LSU, Auburn, Ole miss, Miss state, shoot and Missouri. They all were/current ranked in the top 25 polls. Miss State has offense simlar to OSU.

Why even compare your opponent to a teammate? I'm not saying it's smack. Just posting the parts that can be interpreted as smack. I wouldn't care for one of our players to make a comparison like that.

Yes, Bennett compliments the Bama OL. He also says, "There hasn't been a zone team in college football that's been able to handle us so far this season." A better way to say that without giving anyone the ability to claim smack "We've handled zone blocking teams this year, but... (insert the rest of the quote)." No need to give the media that one quote it wants to use.

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014

Meh....if somebody's looking to find something, they will find it or pretend that they did......molehills at best.

I promise if I parsed everybody interview from every Bama player or coach in search of comments that could have been framed better, I'm sure I could find some and so could you......just not interested in searching for something that really isn't there.......

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
*blank stare* Who in the world said anything about OSU's comment toward Alabama as inappropriate? No one did. ALL I said that some of the players were talking smack in their own ways... throwing little shades here and there... Thats it. I never said anythinga bout our players doing the same. It's not that deep dude.
So when the Bama players are asked by the press about Ohio State, do you believe it inappropriate for them to comment also???

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Are you accusing me of making something up?

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I don't think I have ever heard or read an interview with our players where they say anything directly or impliedly negative about an opponent, or anything that could be construed as smack talk. I can't say that about many of our opponents, see Bo Wallace for example. It is the way that Saban runs this entire program. We don't have to stoop to the level of saying negative things to make ourselves look better. At ALABAMA, we don't have to do that. ;)

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I just don't think you can count on beating a team with only the deep ball. I really hope OSU thinks they can beat us deep and comes out with that as a game plan, but I don't think Meyer is that stupid.

It seems like in the games we've really struggled in we had a hard time getting off the field on 3rd down. My fear is they will extend drives using QB runs with a 250lb QB.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I really don't think they wlil do that with Jones.. but anything can happen.
I just don't think you can count on beating a team with only the deep ball. I really hope OSU thinks they can beat us deep and comes out with that as a game plan, but I don't think Meyer is that stupid.

It seems like in the games we've really struggled in we had a hard time getting off the field on 3rd down. My fear is they will extend drives using QB runs with a 250lb QB.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I would be concerned w/field goal coverage but my hope is we don't have to kick many of them. Plus, we have probably worked on that pretty hard the last year or so..

I'm only concerned about aspects of our execution as some have mentioned; keep the chains moving, fewer 3 and outs, and get off the field on 3rd down. We do that and we win.

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014

Nor I, but the deep ball threat will keep your safeties out of the box and that is critical for us to be able to have an effective running game. Without an effective running game, this offense simply does not work......Jone's arm, the threats we have on the outside and your challenges with the deep ball this year will be the running games biggest asset, imo.

He can run, but he's not going to make anybody miss and given he is the lone remaining QB (not slated for RS), Urby isn't going to want him to run over anybody either.....if he goes down, mightmare scenario......

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I really expect OSU to throw some deep balls to test us early. I know they saw Auburn game and made some adjustments. But They are smart enough to know that some of the deep balls against us from Auburn and Missouri were based on extended plays, when plays were broken down. One of the things I'm really concerned the most about our team is when we get into a "lull" and we're not scoring points and making silly mistakes... But, I have a feeling that our players are prepared this time. I'm curious to see what Jones, the QB, can do from his side... I really think our gameplans will be very similar to MSU... Create pressures create tight pocket and force hiim to keep moving.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Nor I, but the deep ball threat will keep your safeties out of the box and that is critical for us to be able to have an effective running game. .
Our front 7 is our strong point, we haven't really had to bring safeties up all year to stop the run.

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Our front 7 is our strong point, we haven't really had to bring safeties up all year to stop the run.
I assumed that, but thought perhaps with such an inexperienced QB, you Smart/Saban might consider bringing xtra bodies to attack the line of scrimmage. I do believe the game will be won or lost by how well we can run the football.....if we can't establish enough success on the ground, Jones is not going to be able to win it throwing from the pocket

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.