Biggest Concern vs. OSU? / Mine of Alabama.

300Buckeye

Dec 12, 2014
Cheers Tide Fans,

First things first and with all due respect, wishing both teams a hard-hitting, no injuries type of contest.

That being said, I wanted to ask you classy Tide fans (this site appears all class to me) what your biggest concern(s) is for the upcoming game. I understand many of you see it as a walkaway blowout, but I'd like to think it will be highly competitive on both side of the ball - regardless of eventual winner.

So as not to seem like a humble bragger or a compliment-fisher, I'll reciprocate and say that my main concern is your interior D-Line. We have faced some stout defenses this year, but it's hard to find a fair comparison because I'd like to think that even though statistically Wisconsin or Penn State might be on a similar scale to you guys, on the playing field, they are not. My second big concern is that our run D (even though nasty against Melvin Gordon) will not be able to stuff your backs for four quarters. No matter how good Gordon is, the bigger difference is that you guys have a strong passing game where Wisconsin does not, therefore it was easy to stack the box on MG3. Even if we do have success against your run in the early stages, I know Bama has the backs to wear down even a solid D going into the late 3rd and 4th.

Thanks in advance for any substantial responses. Looking for some good, respectful discourse leading up to the game as it's taking what feels like FOREVER to get here.

One more thing. I think the winner of our game wins it all. No disrespect to Oregon or FSU, but I think our teams have the right makeup and strengths/weaknesses to knock off the other two.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I'm most concerned about freak completions far downfield on 3rd down, after defensive backs can no longer be expected to maintain coverage.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
For me, it is our deep ball pass defense. Our defense has been stout all season but we can't seem to keep teams from throwing a 40yd bomb on 3rd and long. I honestly cringe when we have the other team at 3rd and 10. Seems like every time it results in the biggest play of the day for the other team. Your QB is still an unknown. For whatever reason, having a brand new QB can either make a defense look great or make it look like a sieve. Maybe we confuse your QB and he throws a bunch of picks. Or maybe he does crazy stuff we never expected and WRs get lost streaking down the field.

As for our run game, it really hasn't been the same since 2012. We can no longer just pound the ball all day long for 5yds a carry. Sometimes Sims is the greatest QB you have ever seen throw a pass. Others he looks confused and flustered. If we can't pass, we will probably have a hard time running.

Either way, OSU will have to beat us passing the ball.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'm concerned about whether our O-line can block tOSU's D-line and help make the field safe for Blake Sims to operate like a skilled surgeon against tOSU.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Cheers Tide Fans,

First things first and with all due respect, wishing both teams a hard-hitting, no injuries type of contest.

That being said, I wanted to ask you classy Tide fans (this site appears all class to me) what your biggest concern(s) is for the upcoming game. I understand many of you see it as a walkaway blowout, but I'd like to think it will be highly competitive on both side of the ball - regardless of eventual winner.

So as not to seem like a humble bragger or a compliment-fisher, I'll reciprocate and say that my main concern is your interior D-Line. We have faced some stout defenses this year, but it's hard to find a fair comparison because I'd like to think that even though statistically Wisconsin or Penn State might be on a similar scale to you guys, on the playing field, they are not. My second big concern is that our run D (even though nasty against Melvin Gordon) will not be able to stuff your backs for four quarters. No matter how good Gordon is, the bigger difference is that you guys have a strong passing game where Wisconsin does not, therefore it was easy to stack the box on MG3. Even if we do have success against your run in the early stages, I know Bama has the backs to wear down even a solid D going into the late 3rd and 4th.

Thanks in advance for any substantial responses. Looking for some good, respectful discourse leading up to the game as it's taking what feels like FOREVER to get here.

One more thing. I think the winner of our game wins it all. No disrespect to Oregon or FSU, but I think our teams have the right makeup and strengths/weaknesses to knock off the other two.
If I had to name one factor, I'd say "Bosa." We've faced and managed to more or less neutralized some other outstanding defenders, but he's in a class by himself. I believe that Kiffin will change plays based on where he's lined up, and he will try to use Bosa's speed against him. If he's beating his man regularly, I'd expect to see Sims' running ability utilized in the read option...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I'm most concerned about freak completions far downfield on 3rd down, after defensive backs can no longer be expected to maintain coverage.
In general, my major concern as well. Plus, we have a disturbing penchant for affording an as yet unheralded QB an opportunity for a career day (see S. Garcia, T. Knight, glad J. Dobbs didn`t play whole game, etc.).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
For me, it is our deep ball pass defense. Our defense has been stout all season but we can't seem to keep teams from throwing a 40yd bomb on 3rd and long. I honestly cringe when we have the other team at 3rd and 10. Seems like every time it results in the biggest play of the day for the other team. Your QB is still an unknown. For whatever reason, having a brand new QB can either make a defense look great or make it look like a sieve. Maybe we confuse your QB and he throws a bunch of picks. Or maybe he does crazy stuff we never expected and WRs get lost streaking down the field.

As for our run game, it really hasn't been the same since 2012. We can no longer just pound the ball all day long for 5yds a carry. Sometimes Sims is the greatest QB you have ever seen throw a pass. Others he looks confused and flustered. If we can't pass, we will probably have a hard time running.

Either way, OSU will have to beat us passing the ball.
I expect to see us open up passing again, to loosen up the box. I share your feelings about our DBs on the deep ball...

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I think your concerns are well-founded. For Bama, I worry about the big-play. Ohio St has some big play ability. It could be on long pass plays, special teams, or defensive turnovers. I have no doubt Bama will have trouble moving the ball at times in this game. But if the buckeyes don't make big plays to score, I think Bama wins this game, and though not by a wide margin, a comfortable one.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think the biggest concern I have is -- an injury to Sims.....if he plays the entire game....I really just don't see Bama losing.

I also think that of the 4 teams, OSU would lose to any of the other three....just my opinion, but I think they are 4th and by a good distance

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
My main concern is with ourselves. We need to not make mistakes and take this game seriously. I think we will, because of what is at stake.

My concern with OSU, would be the unknown with your QB. When a new QB comes into a game, we tend to take awhile before we can adapt to his game. I hope we adapt quickly and can impose our will. I don't want to let them hang around for too long.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
My biggest concern is can we run the ball like we want to. I think we'll stop the run. With respect to Bosa, he is really good, but I think our Oline sees just as good in practice.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i only have 2 concerns. #1 is our CB pass defense. it's been shaky all year. I just hope OSU QB isnt lights out passing come thursday night. my second concern, though not as concerned as #1, is the big play ability of Elliot. One missed tackle or bad angle and he could take it to the house. As good as our run defense is, a quick RB like that can get a homerun here or there. Having said that though, as long as we can play well against the pass we wont lose this one. it really is that simple.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Welcome aboard and thanks for being classy. Your concerns/analysis are spot on as well as those of the Bama fans who've posted.

Short version for me is this; as you've stated tOSU has to stop our run game making us one dimensional and hope you don't make Blake Sims or Amari Cooper the game MVP. Otherwise it'll probably mirror the 2012 championship game. And, of course, that's what I'm hoping for.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
My biggest concerns is we can't have too many consective 3 and outs on O which causes us to lose field position and momentum. We have done that several times this year. However, we do have an outstanding punter. :smile:

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
My biggest concern is whether or not Blake Sims comes out too nervous and over-excited to start the game. He tends to under-throw or over-throw a lot of balls early with a pick here and there. If he comes out cool and not over-whelmed, I think we're in for a good day passing the ball. I"m also concerned about how well we'll run the ball against OSU's defense, but I feel good about Kiffin's play calling that could make the run game more manageable. And as others have said, a little worried about our CBs getting beat deep a couple times. Other than that I feel good about our defense.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
My biggest concern is if the rain that is forecast that day will keep me from wearing cute shoes to the game. :tongue:

Seriously, as long as we play well with no mistakes, we win. No question! RTR!!

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Welcome to the Board. Great place for real football conversation without a bunch of trash.

I'll agree with TideMom. I'm concerned about the relative unknown of your linebacker-sized quarterback. Having little competitive film of him (Wisconsin wasn't putting up much of a fight) neutralizes a lot of the advantage provided by the break between the SEC Championship and now.

I'll also add that I worry about whether Sims will start the game well (he has struggled with this more than some realize -- even in the Texas A&M game at home he was within a whisker of putting us down 7-0 with a pick six; first half of AU was a near debacle, he was very shaky against WVU to start the season, etc.)

I worry about the match up presented by your RBs and TEs against our LBs in the short passing game.

Finally, what everyone else says is true, if we give your quarterback too much time, or he can buy time with his athletic ability and then throw accurately, we tend to give up big plays.

If I was an Ohio State fan, I'd be worried about what happens if Cardale cannot go, even just for a series or two; what happens if you let Sims break contain on plays where the coverage is otherwise good; and about getting behind. If Alabama gets up by more than two scores, it has shown itself very capable of long-driving teams to death.

Good luck to you guys and we, too, hope for an exciting, injury-free game between two of the traditional powerhouses of college football.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.