Representative Steve Scalise

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Hmmm........gee, guess this is where my HSAM makes me go "huh?"

We weren't allowed to know what happened with Bill Clinton's sexual harrassment while he was President because "it happened BEFORE he got elected and thus doesn't matter." It happened in May 1991, eighteen months before he got elected.

Can't ask about that, right?

(This is the same Bill Clinton who not only executed a convicted murderer named Rickey Ray Rector who was brain damaged from his failure to kill himself during his crime but Clinton LEFT NEW HAMPSHIRE DURING THE PRIMARY to make doggone sure the black guy got his and the crackers knew Slick Willie was "tough on crime." Oh - and he also played at an ALL-WHITE COUNTRY CLUB DURING the campaign. Never came up once during the fall election. Oh, he also posed with some black prison inmates in a crime commercial in the GA primary).

Couldn't talk about that and it was DURING the campaign.

But......

splatter all over the place what some Republican did TWELVE YEARS AGO BEFORE he got elected....right?

And do it on the Monday of a dead week before the new Congress comes in. No, no agenda there.

When Scalise leaves a girl dead in his car at the Dyke Bridge at Chappaquiddick or kills a mentally retarded black man, let me know and I'll be outraged. Let me know when he's a former Klan member in the Senate who goes on Fox News and uses the "n" word.

Of course, he'd have to be a Democrat IN OFFICE to do any of those things, too.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

We weren't allowed to know what happened with Bill Clinton's sexual harrassment while he was President because "it happened BEFORE he got elected and thus doesn't matter." It happened in May 1991, eighteen months before he got elected.

(This is the same Bill Clinton who not only executed a convicted murderer named Rickey Ray Rector who was brain damaged from his failure to kill himself during his crime but Clinton LEFT NEW HAMPSHIRE DURING THE PRIMARY to make doggone sure the black guy got his and the crackers knew Slick Willie was "tough on crime." Oh - and he also played at an ALL-WHITE COUNTRY CLUB DURING the campaign. Never came up once during the fall election. Oh, he also posed with some black prison inmates in a crime commercial in the GA primary).

But......

splatter all over the place what some Republican did TWELVE YEARS AGO BEFORE he got elected....right?

And do it on the Monday of a dead week before the new Congress comes in. No, no agenda there.

When Scalise leaves a girl dead in his car at the Dyke Bridge at Chappaquiddick or kills a mentally retarded black man, let me know and I'll be outraged. Let me know when he's a former Klan member in the Senate who goes on Fox News and uses the "n" word.

I'm sure Scalise's white supremacist leanings have dissipated since then.
(queue the Robert Byrd responses)

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm sure Scalise's white supremacist leanings have dissipated since then.
(queue the Robert Byrd responses)
Where has it been demonstrated he has any? Politicians speak before folks ALL THE TIME - advance teams fail, they have their pictures taken with strangers yadda yadda. Come back with me for his call to repeal Brown v the Board of Education or the Civil Rights Acts and you may have something.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My only point is you can't have this both ways. His having done this 12 years ago (with no record of segregationism etc) - you can't bring up the past and say this matters and then say others pasts don't matter unless you're a grade A hypocrite.

This is little more than an appeal to the black base that votes Democratic 90% of the time. If he's actually one of "those" guys, it will come out in the wash. But I would point something out: I know a lot of Democrats who snickered when the Romney video about the 47% made the rounds. Fair enough, it was a good issue.

It's just you'd better remember that both teams can play that same game. One of these days we're going to have somebody who is a supposed civil rights icon or something on tape while running for office - a Democrat or liberal - where they use the "n" word or something similar. And the same folks here thinking this is an issue now will suddenly retreat to "you have to look at his whole record."

You know - the same thing they're not willing to do right now. Such is more revealing of the hypocrisy of the ideologues than anything else.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

But......

Bill, it's perception that matters. You can't make it go away by griping about uneven treatment. For a party which needs to prove that it can govern, he's the absolute worst baggage. To ever win another national election, the GOP must penetrate the ever-growing minority groups. You can't do that with a guy with past association with David Duke...

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Bill, it's perception that matters. You can't make it go away by griping about uneven treatment. For a party which needs to prove that it can govern, he's the absolute worst baggage. To ever win another national election, the GOP must penetrate the ever-growing minority groups. You can't do that with a guy with past association with David Duke...
I agree. While I understand the feelings and concrete examples of double standards, "but they did worse" arguments should not and usually do not hold water.

That said, there is some merit to what BamaInBoston said. I would not want to be associated with every person I shook hands with if I was a politician.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.