Because this board has high standards.....

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Things have indeed truly changed. There was a time when it was important that we win anytime we played, regardless of the circumstances and opponent. That was particularly true in games like the Sugar and Orange. I guess in part that was because we were usually playing schools from different conferences/regions and, well, because we were ALABAMA. Not so anymore, I guess. I find that sad, personally.
THIS! I can't speak for the "team" or other Bama fans but I expect the team to show up for all games. Realistically, there are let downs but in a bowl game against an historic power team? I would also hope that would never happen. There is always something on the line; recruiting, ranking, and PRIDE.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Things have indeed truly changed. There was a time when it was important that we win anytime we played, regardless of the circumstances and opponent.
Within the state of Alabama that may still be true since it may have some impact on state pride, but for the national fanbase I don't believe it is to any significant degree.

Those were different times when teams from other conferences and regions seemed foreign and mysterious. That is no longer true as we see them on TV every week and schools recruit from all over the country.

Alabama is about national titles and that is what separates Alabama from most programs.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It's like, if you're not in the play off, you failed. BTW, I seem to recall CPB indicating the same thing -- one of the reasons he never backed a playoff.
I agree Padre and just another reason why there is no need for 39 bowl games. There is no reason to have more than 12-15 bowl games.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree Padre and just another reason why there is no need for 39 bowl games. There is no reason to have more than 12-15 bowl games.
Tell that to the players who have winning seasons and will be robbed of these great experiences, or the coaches who need the extra practices with their players. This is a very selfish point of view.

tmv85

All-SEC
Tell that to the players who have winning seasons and will be robbed of these great experiences, or the coaches who need the extra practices with their players. This is a very selfish point of view.
Since we have gone to a 12-game season, I think teams should actually have winning seasons before being bowl eligible. A 6-6 season isn't a winning season. It isn't a losing season either. It's break even.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Since we have gone to a 12-game season, I think teams should actually have winning seasons before being bowl eligible. A 6-6 season isn't a winning season. It isn't a losing season either. It's break even.
These games hurt no one but some folks would take them away just because they are not "entertained". Get over yourselves. This is not about you.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It's not about merit. If ESPN could push it through, they'd add enough bowls to make it possible for 5 win teams to make it without a waiver.

I don't really care either way. December television is a doldrum as most series go on break, so a bunch of mediocre football isn't the worst thing. Plus, we've been a 6-6 team before and the extra practice is valuable to the team even if Shreveport and the like is no place the fans want to be.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Do not see where teams finishing 6-6 constitutes a winning season. A bowl game should reward a team and its players for a successful, winning season (at least 7-5) if that is not the case then every team in the FBS should get some kind of consolation bowl.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
To be fair, you are the one who said it had NEVER happened, so let's not dither over when it happened.
Losing in a blowout to Clemson is on par with losing a close one to a cupcake you pay to play you.
Like I said. It was just my opinion but what I was referring to was being completely uncompetitive. Monroe was a down point for sure but many were not surprised based on what the team dynamic was at the time. Just glad we don't have to expect those types of losses in our program.

tmv85

All-SEC
These games hurt no one but some folks would take them away just because they are not "entertained". Get over yourselves. This is not about you.
I'm not saying it's about me, and I doubt anyone else is either, but at one time bowl games were a reward for having a winning season. A 6-6 season isn't a winning season. A 7-5 season is. If teams want to be bowl eligible, win one more game. If they are unable to do so, set goals for the next year and do what you can during the off season to be the player/team who makes it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Do not see where teams finishing 6-6 constitutes a winning season. A bowl game should reward a team and its players for a successful, winning season (at least 7-5) if that is not the case then every team in the FBS should get some kind of consolation bowl.
Because you get to decide what is worthy of celebration? I don't watch many of the weaker bowls, but I wouldn't think of taking them away when they cost me nothing.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm not saying it's about me, and I doubt anyone else is either, but at one time bowl games were a reward for having a winning season. A 6-6 season isn't a winning season. A 7-5 season is. If teams want to be bowl eligible, win one more game. If they are unable to do so, set goals for the next year and do what you can during the off season to be the player/team who makes it.
So you would punish players for the decision by the NCAA and the member schools to add another game to everyone's schedule? 6 wins has been enough for as long as I can remember.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Because you get to decide what is worthy of celebration? I don't watch many of the weaker bowls, but I wouldn't think of taking them away when they cost me nothing.
I do not get to decide anything, it is my opinion and my opinion only as yours is. A 6-6 record, IMO, is a reward for mediocrity.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
So you would punish players for the decision by the NCAA and the member schools to add another game to everyone's schedule?
It's not 'punishing' someone to refuse to reward mediocrity.

6 wins has been enough for as long as I can remember.
Then you must not have watched football for long - .500 (6-6) bowl legibility only came into effect in 2006.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I do not get to decide anything, it is my opinion and my opinion only as yours is. A 6-6 record, IMO, is a reward for mediocrity.
Fair enough - but I see it as a reward for their hard work, not their W/L record. Not everything is about wins and losses to me. And, before you ask, I would not be opposed to allowing every single team in FBS to play in a bowl game.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Think a bit harder - 6-5 teams have been in bowls for a long time.
Think harder? It's about the winning percentage (and always has been - 'winning record' was the NCAA standard until the change in 2006), not '6 wins'. You're focusing on the wrong thing. If there was a 14 game regular season, 6 wins would be meaningless.

If you want to ask me to 'think harder', at least know the standards we're discussing.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Hard work should be a given, not something rewarded.

Frankly, your attitude is everything wrong with sports (and in more general terms, the workforce) today.

These are kids/young adults. I doubt having them rewarded for a 6-6 season will cause them any ill effect in life.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.