Because this board has high standards.....

tmv85

All-SEC
Because you get to decide what is worthy of celebration? I don't watch many of the weaker bowls, but I wouldn't think of taking them away when they cost me nothing.
This is my opinion, and it is kind of off topic but not completely. Quite a few years ago, society began rewarding every kid who was on a team or in any kind of contest by giving them a trophy because they didn't want to damage anyone's self esteem. It didn't matter if you were the worst player/contestant on the worst team...you got a trophy. Many (not all) of those kids began thinking "hey, all I gotta do is show up and I get rewarded" and they grew up with a sense of entitlement. (I teach high school. I see it EVERY DAY.) We stopped teaching kids how to win with grace and lose with dignity and we spouted the phrase "you are ALL winners" even if they were blown out in every game they played. I relate this to bowl games because those 6-6 teams aren't winning teams, yet they are being rewarded. Yeah, getting to the playoffs and then to the championship game has a bigger reward than the Random Sponsor Bowl in the middle of downtown Nowhere, but those guys on teams with winning record have done something to earn a bowl. You may disagree completely, and if so, that's fine, but as a fan, I wouldn't think Bama deserved a bowl bid with a 6-6 record.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Now we're trying to solve the world's problems? I thought that we were talking about football games? :conf3:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not trying to solve the world's problems...just saying that my opinion is that the 85 guys who actually have a winning record are more deserving of a bowl bid than those who don't.
I would never argue with that point. Were any left out for teams with a 6-6 record?

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
This is my opinion, and it is kind of off topic but not completely. Quite a few years ago, society began rewarding every kid who was on a team or in any kind of contest by giving them a trophy because they didn't want to damage anyone's self esteem. It didn't matter if you were the worst player/contestant on the worst team...you got a trophy. Many (not all) of those kids began thinking "hey, all I gotta do is show up and I get rewarded" and they grew up with a sense of entitlement. (I teach high school. I see it EVERY DAY.) We stopped teaching kids how to win with grace and lose with dignity and we spouted the phrase "you are ALL winners" even if they were blown out in every game they played. I relate this to bowl games because those 6-6 teams aren't winning teams, yet they are being rewarded. Yeah, getting to the playoffs and then to the championship game has a bigger reward than the Random Sponsor Bowl in the middle of downtown Nowhere, but those guys on teams with winning record have done something to earn a bowl. You may disagree completely, and if so, that's fine, but as a fan, I wouldn't think Bama deserved a bowl bid with a 6-6 record.
Same here. Spot on.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sorry, I forgot Urby was your coach - at most schools the fans want the student athletes to learn more than just how to go 6-6 on the field.
Well, when their present QB was a RS frosh, he opined that class was a waste of time because they came to college to play football. That may give you a taste... :D

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I really like it here so I am going to shut up and log off for the night before I get suspended.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Think harder? It's about the winning percentage (and always has been - 'winning record' was the NCAA standard until the change in 2006), not '6 wins'. You're focusing on the wrong thing. If there was a 14 game regular season, 6 wins would be meaningless.

If you want to ask me to 'think harder', at least know the standards we're discussing.
As a note, I don't believe the standard prior to 2006 was always a winning record. There are examples of teams with losing records being selected. I don't recall the date, but at some point in my lifetime I believe the minimum 6-5 record was instituted.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Wow... what a thread.

I agree that the "everyone gets a trophy" and the "you're ALL winners!" nonsense is a large part of what is wrong with this country today.

But I disagree that's related to the proliferation of bowl games and allowing teams with 6-6 or even 6-7 records to play in them. That is all about tv dollars. I wouldn't be entirely shocked to someday see enough bowl games so that every single team got to play in one. Quit watching them and they'll go away...

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
They ought to pull some furniture out of that palace of an office that stoops has. Maybe a card table and a cheap microwave would be more appropriate.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
You guys do understand that by earning, and maintaining a scholarship on a division one football team that these guys are pretty successful already? They beat six other teams full of similar athletes. Maybe if you step back and look at it from another angle.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.