Because this board has high standards.....

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Looking back at the preseason polls, OU looks to have the distinction of being the most overrated team at the start of the year. I have to agree, you may need to start looking for a new HC.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Are you comparing Saban's 8th game with the Tide to someone who has been at a program over a decade? Come on. I'm talking 40-6 and JFF had done that. As crappy as Bama has played in some games Coach has put them with a chance to win. Even in that horrible Monroe game which personally I think he didn't mind happening. Hindsight he even admits there were cancers on that team but that a true purging that he would have liked to have done would have guys playing both ways.

I digress. Apples and Oranges IMO.
You said Saban hasn't had a bad loss at Alabama. That was a bad loss. It was a beneficial loss for the reasons you mentioned, but it was a bad loss.

To those bringing up Alabama not wanting to be in the Sugar Bowl and OU not wanting to be there last night - Alabama was a play away from playing for the SEC Championship and possibly the national title. OU lost 4 regular season games. It's not like they were just cut at the knees (ala Bama last year). They saw this coming. Maybe Bob lost the team early in the season after those big preseason polls (top 10 in all, top 3 in most) were gone after a few losses.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I came to your board that night and said I wished Bama had brought their A game, we might have had a game people would talk about for years to come. Trust me, Sooner fans know your kids were not interested in being there.
Much of the discussion on soonerfans.com is about Bob bringing the program back from the grave, and letting him either resign or clean house and start over. Josh Huepel gets most of the criticism, along with Mike. Ultimately, it's Bob's responsibility. I do appreciate what he has done in Norman. He works very quietly behind the scenes in Norman for children's charities. His program is run clean. It's time for Bob to decide.
Sometimes a marriage gets stale, you have to liven things up a bit , shake it up. Don't know where you go from here, but something has to change.

The best of luck to you and the Sooners next year and beyond.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Every coach/team has "bad losses." Part of human nature...cannot escape it.

What I wonder is if the BCS and now the playoff is in some way "ruining" the other bowl games? For the teams that were close but did not make it, these are little more than "exhibition" games. I think we will see more and more of this...all are playing to make the final four -- and when they do not then they just naturally say "What the heck..."

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
You said Saban hasn't had a bad loss at Alabama. That was a bad loss. It was a beneficial loss for the reasons you mentioned, but it was a bad loss.
My definition of a bad loss is getting whipped by a team that doesn't even belong on the same field. The LA Monroe loss, though embarrassing to Bama fans, was not that big of a shock to me. 2007 Alabama was not a good football team. I'm surprised we didn't lose more games. That we didn't is a testament to just how good Saban is.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
We can't have it both ways here guys. I mean It sure seems like the reason a lot of Bama fans think we lost to OU last year was due to Bama being uninterested and not really wanting to be there? Then shouldn't CNS be held to the same standard? Sometimes a game just gets away from a team in football. It happens that way sometimes...
The difference is we were at least competitive.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
Every coach/team has "bad losses." Part of human nature...cannot escape it.

What I wonder is if the BCS and now the playoff is in some way "ruining" the other bowl games? For the teams that were close but did not make it, these are little more than "exhibition" games. I think we will see more and more of this...all are playing to make the final four -- and when they do not then they just naturally say "What the heck..."
I agree Padre. The whole nature of bowl games has changed dramatically because of the BCS and 4-team playoff. I think the 'all or nothing' mentality, especially at schools that expect much more, pervades the fanbases as well. In the old days, the uncertanties of the games and the polls kept teams and fans into the season for an extended period.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
I wish a few more schools declined a bowl invitation every now and then. The standard claim that the additional practice time was good for a team doesn't seem to hold much water these days.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I came to your board that night and said I wished Bama had brought their A game, we might have had a game people would talk about for years to come. Trust me, Sooner fans know your kids were not interested in being there.
Much of the discussion on soonerfans.com is about Bob bringing the program back from the grave, and letting him either resign or clean house and start over. Josh Huepel gets most of the criticism, along with Mike. Ultimately, it's Bob's responsibility. I do appreciate what he has done in Norman. He works very quietly behind the scenes in Norman for children's charities. His program is run clean. It's time for Bob to decide.
Or...y'all could orchestrate the first D1 head coaching trade in NCAA history - one for one, one with lost zest for coaching for another with lost zest for winning, and maybe in so doing quieten restless alums on both sides of the Mississippi: Big Bob for Frank Beamer. Maybe VaTech would even throw in some special teams manuals. That way Stoops would have a decent DC at least, and Beamer might get his enthusiasm (and winning record) back.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I agree Padre. The whole nature of bowl games has changed dramatically because of the BCS and 4-team playoff. I think the 'all or nothing' mentality, especially at schools that expect much more, pervades the fanbases as well. In the old days, the uncertanties of the games and the polls kept teams and fans into the season for an extended period.
It's like, if you're not in the play off, you failed. BTW, I seem to recall CPB indicating the same thing -- one of the reasons he never backed a playoff.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Are you comparing Saban's 8th game with the Tide to someone who has been at a program over a decade? Come on. I'm talking 40-6 and JFF had done that. As crappy as Bama has played in some games Coach has put them with a chance to win. Even in that horrible Monroe game which personally I think he didn't mind happening. Hindsight he even admits there were cancers on that team but that a true purging that he would have liked to have done would have guys playing both ways.

I digress. Apples and Oranges IMO.
To be fair, you are the one who said it had NEVER happened, so let's not dither over when it happened.
Losing in a blowout to Clemson is on par with losing a close one to a cupcake you pay to play you.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Unfortunately, I think that this is correct and it`s a shame. College football is the lesser for it, IMHO

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I've been meaning to post about the irony of Oklahoma not wanting to be at their bowl game and getting hammered by a team wanting to prove they belong in elite status.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I dislike Stoops, but don't think that this game should sway a fan. He didn't forget how to coach in the last few weeks/months.
He hasn't coached all the well in years though. For some reason, he's become unhinged emotionally over the last year and has started acting like Mike Gundy.

It's not the SEC that is keeping Stoops down, so why he developed such a fixation on the conference is unclear.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
:probably similar to the language most of us wanted to use roughly a year ago. :wink:
I don't think that many Alabama fans really cared all that much though. I know that I didn't and many of the Alabama fans I know didn't even watch the game.

Even a week before the game, there was talk about Alabama not wanting to be there and if Alabama fans were even interested. I only started to care more about it afterward when Stoops tried to use the game as some sort of benchmark that totally invalidated any of the success that the SEC had over the last 7 years.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
We can't have it both ways here guys. I mean It sure seems like the reason a lot of Bama fans think we lost to OU last year was due to Bama being uninterested and not really wanting to be there? Then shouldn't CNS be held to the same standard? Sometimes a game just gets away from a team in football. It happens that way sometimes...
Alabama was eliminated from the national title picture in their last game by a last second miracle play. Oklahoma was removed from title contention months ago.

In both bowl games where Alabama under-performed and was uninterested, they had just come directly from a loss that eliminated them from the national title.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I don't think that many Alabama fans really cared all that much though. I know that I didn't and many of the Alabama fans I know didn't even watch the game.

Even a week before the game, there was talk about Alabama not wanting to be there and if Alabama fans were even interested. I only started to care more about it afterward when Stoops tried to use the game as some sort of benchmark that totally invalidated any of the success that the SEC had over the last 7 years.
Things have indeed truly changed. There was a time when it was important that we win anytime we played, regardless of the circumstances and opponent. That was particularly true in games like the Sugar and Orange. I guess in part that was because we were usually playing schools from different conferences/regions and, well, because we were ALABAMA. Not so anymore, I guess. I find that sad, personally.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.