The Effort to Understand ISIS (so we can kill them better)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
As much as I condemn American journalists for incompetence, corruption or just plain stupidity, I owe the profession a hat tip when they actually write something worth reading.

This piece, from the NYT, no less, doesn't actually suck.

I think Nagata is headed in the right direction and hope he orchestrates the deaths of lots and lots of these swine.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Nagata is correct in that we've not really seen anything like it in our lifetimes. In fact, I'm not sure we've seen anything like it since the opening sweep of Islam...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Nagata is correct in that we've noby the bushel.t really seen anything like it in our lifetimes. In fact, I'm not sure we've seen anything like it since the opening sweep of Islam...
A lot of people (including Nagata) are worried about the muslims from western countries that are going to Iraq & Syria to fight, then coming back to their adopted western countries.
I'm not that concerned, since they are most likely to return if they become disillusioned with islamic radicalism.
On the other hand, while they are in Iraq & Syria, it is a lot easier to kill them.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
A lot of people (including Nagata) are worried about the muslims from western countries that are going to Iraq & Syria to fight, then coming back to their adopted western countries.
I'm not that concerned, since they are most likely to return if they become disillusioned with islamic radicalism.
On the other hand, while they are in Iraq & Syria, it is a lot easier to kill them.
UK is having a huge issue with radicals returning and they are not disillusioned in any way. They are going to have tremendous problems with terrorism in the near future.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
UK is having a huge issue with radicals returning and they are not disillusioned in any way. They are going to have tremendous problems with terrorism in the near future.
The maybe we could encourage them to stay in the Islamic paradise that is the Islamic State and deliver them some ordnance.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I realize killing US citizens abroad is problematical.
I believe if the United States government issues an statement that the United States is engaging in combat operations against ISIS and order all US citizens out of areas controlled by ISIS (specifically Iraq and Syria) on pain of death, then the moral, and I would argue legal, hurdles are cleared.
Maybe we should not target US citizens in ISIS-controlled areas, but we should target ISIS radicals and if any US citizens get killed in combat ops against ISIS, tough luck for them. The presence of US citizens in ISIS-controlled areas is prima facie evidence that their loyalty to ISIS supersedes their loyalty to the US.

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
Could this be what Nagata is referring to, the psychological appeal that ISIS affords to both Middle-easterners as well as Westerners? They seem well supplied and well armed, almost like a professional army.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, it only takes a few to make a real mess. I agree with Gmart that Britain has a much larger problem than we do. I think that what Nagata is referring to is the unholy combination of ideology which appeals to .01% of the population, captured military and national resource assets and a vision of a newborn holy land. It's a new game...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Well, it only takes a few to make a real mess. I agree with Gmart that Britain has a much larger problem than we do. I think that what Nagata is referring to is the unholy combination of ideology which appeals to .01% of the population, captured military and national resource assets and a vision of a newborn holy land. It's a new game...
All very true. The world is different now than it was during the first islamic wave in the 600s AD. The West is not the exhausted backwards place Europe was in 650. The Byzantines and Sassanid Persians had worn themselves out fighting each other, and there was no western Roman Empire, just a giant power vacuum where it used to be.
My one consolation is that, if it comes down to a fight to the death between the West and the muslims, I have no doubt whatsoever which side would win that. I have spent too much time with muslims to have any doubt. The greatest protector of muslims lives around the world in western (Christian) restraint. Only muslims can undermine that restraint, and if they do, westerners can be every bit as vicious as islamic radicals. And we are much more effective than muslims. At just about everything. Including killing.
And I really hope it does not come to that.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
All very true. The world is different now than it was during the first islamic wave in the 600s AD. The West is not the exhausted backwards place Europe was in 650.
My one consolation is that, if it comes down to a fight to the death between the West and the muslims, I have no doubt whatsoever which side would win that. I have spent too much time with muslims to have any doubt. The greatest protector of muslims lives around the world in western (Christian) restraint. Only muslims can undermine that restraint, and if they do, westerners can be every bit as vicious as islamic radicals. And we are much more effective than muslims. At just about everything. Including killing.
We'll never really know until the crap really hits the fan. Perhaps we've civilized ourselves out of setting out Muslim heads on pikes. I really feel sorry for the non-violent population we have around here, who just want to be left alone. They're tainted with the brush of Whahabism, whether they want it or not...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
We'll never really know until the crap really hits the fan. Perhaps we've civilized ourselves out of setting out Muslim heads on pikes. I really feel sorry for the non-violent population we have around here, who just want to be left alone. They're tainted with the brush of Whahabism, whether they want it or not...
I would have no problem wiping them off the face of the earth, by whatever means necessary. I do not view them as human at all; in fact I view them as being beneath a rabid animal. (I'm referring specifically to ISIS). But I do fear, like you, that too many westerners have become far too pacifist and withdrawn from reality. They want their tv shows, fast food, and all their other comforts long since taken for granted and to just be left alone. My SIL's boyfriend is British and this topic came up during our Christmas family get-together. He is a staunch liberal and when it was suggested that England was being overrun with radical muslims he would have none of it and let us know that we were all paranoid fools who had been brainwashed by Fox News.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Could this be what Nagata is referring to, the psychological appeal that ISIS affords to both Middle-easterners as well as Westerners? They seem well supplied and well armed, almost like a professional army.
Interesting. I'd bet that the majority of the people from western countries that have moved to ISIS-controlled areas are of Middle Eastern descent or were raised muslim. There are probably a few westerners who have converted and moved to ISIS to show they are "more Catholic than the Pope," so to speak.
As for funding, I believe that ISIS funding comes from oil sales or "take your radicalism elsewhere" bribe money from "friendly" oil sheikhs.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I'm not sure Muslims understand civility. They play the part until they get the numbers then their tune changes. We are sheep waiting to be slaughtered. Well, not all, but most.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I would have no problem wiping them off the face of the earth, by whatever means necessary. I do not view them as human at all; in fact I view them as being beneath a rabid animal. (I'm referring specifically to ISIS). But I do fear, like you, that too many westerners have become far too pacifist and withdrawn from reality. They want their tv shows, fast food, and all their other comforts long since taken for granted and to just be left alone. My SIL's boyfriend is British and this topic came up during our Christmas family get-together. He is a staunch liberal and when it was suggested that England was being overrun with radical muslims he would have none of it and let us know that we were all paranoid fools who had been brainwashed by Fox News.
Can we espouse those views?

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
Interesting. I'd bet that the majority of the people from western countries that have moved to ISIS-controlled areas are of Middle Eastern descent or were raised muslim. There are probably a few westerners who have converted and moved to ISIS to show they are "more Catholic than the Pope," so to speak.
As for funding, I believe that ISIS funding comes from oil sales or "take your radicalism elsewhere" bribe money from "friendly" oil sheikhs.
Many theories running around. That's why I brought it up. Many things just don't make sense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.