Maryland gunowners feel cops target them more for traffic stops

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
i dont ride dirty in md. gotta know how to act in enemy territory.
btw the story contains an often misquoted fallacy. they said one gun was confiscated bc it was not stored correctly by storing the ammunition in a separate container. that actually isnt in the law anywhere.

Last edited:

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
Having spent a good bit of time working projects in Maryland, I have changed my opinion. The drivers there are the worst, rudest, most dangerous in the country. If they relaxed the gun laws, the highways would be littered with bodies. Only place in the world where I have been "bumped" from behind to insist I turn right on red.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
i dont ride dirty in md. gotta know how to act in enemy territory.
btw the story contains an often misquoted fallacy. they said one gun was confiscated bc it was not stored correctly by storing the ammunition in a separate container. that actually isnt in the law anywhere.
Oddly, that's the law in AL, if you don't have a CCW. The weird thing is that AL is OC, so, theoretically, without CCW, you would have to wear your gun to your car, stop outside, unload, take the weapon and stow it separately from the ammo, which must be stored so as to be out of reach of either the driver or a passenger. IOW, impossible. If we're going to be OC, then they need to conform the vehicle laws...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Having spent a good bit of time working projects in Maryland, I have changed my opinion. The drivers there are the worst, rudest, most dangerous in the country. If they relaxed the gun laws, the highways would be littered with bodies. Only place in the world where I have been "bumped" from behind to insist I turn right on red.
You do have a reverse gear, don't you? If I got bumped from the rear by someone as a motivation to go ahead and turn right, I'd be putting my vehicle in reverse first and bumping them right back. Then I'd turn right. :biggrin:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Thatil teach ya

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
If it were simply a matter of preference, I'd just leave my weapon at home. But I handle and carry large amounts of money (coin and small denomination bills) from different businesses and to both my office and bank. For this reason, I always carry my pistol. One difficulty I find is that some of these businesses are family oriented and have large numbers of children around. The signs on the doors say that firearms are prohibited so that even though the management knows I have it, I do have to keep mine out of sight. I keep it in a special bag that I carry along with me, although it would be more difficult to reach should it become necessary.
Still though, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I belong to a gun owners' site which had a parallel thread, but with more input from residents. They were all very careful. One came up with an interesting stat - the top three states residents would leave, if they could, were Illinois, Connecticut and, finally, Maryland. 47% would leave Maryland, if they could...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If it were simply a matter of preference, I'd just leave my weapon at home. But I handle and carry large amounts of money (coin and small denomination bills) from different businesses and to both my office and bank. For this reason, I always carry my pistol. One difficulty I find is that some of these businesses are family oriented and have large numbers of children around. The signs on the doors say that firearms are prohibited so that even though the management knows I have it, I do have to keep mine out of sight. I keep it in a special bag that I carry along with me, although it would be more difficult to reach should it become necessary.
Still though, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Have you thought of a smaller, single stack semi and pocket carry? I carry a Kahr cm9, with a DeSantis Nemesis holster and it doesn't print at all. Pocket carry is inferior to either OWB (best) or IWB, but it's better than in a separate bag. When weather permits me a sweater, jacket or the like, I use OWB...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
Have you thought of a smaller, single stack semi and pocket carry? I carry a Kahr cm9, with a DeSantis Nemesis holster and it doesn't print at all. Pocket carry is inferior to either OWB (best) or IWB, but it's better than in a separate bag. When weather permits me a sweater, jacket or the like, I use OWB...
I have a Makarov 9mm (single stack 7 rd mag) with a belt-clip side holster. The biggest problem with carrying it in my pocket is that I'm constantly bending down, getting down on my knees or even sitting, and repeatedly going into my pockets for keys, tools, etc.. Hence pocket carry isn't really an option for me and in these locations it's absolutely necessary to keep it out of the sight of kids and excitable parents.
In the meanwhile I'm looking at several different holsters that would let me carry it on my person but still keep it out of sight.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.