****Official Post-Game Thread - Bama vs. Ohio State****

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I am proud of our guys. They never quit. There was something I didn't realize until they said something on TV on OSU's 1st downs, their last 1st down was with 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter until right before their RB ran the last TD back. Our d and our punter really played great. He kept them bottled up and our D did the rest.
Our punter is a one man wrecking crew...that young man deserves a pat on the back from every one of his teammates

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Problem is Dre Kirkpatricks don't grow on trees. We've got highly ranked kids. For some reason it just isn't working out.
The rest of the teams we play aren't populated with Dre Kirkpatricks, either.

That's kinda the point. I've not looked at the numbers, but I'm willing to bet that, based on recruiting rankings, almost every team in the country would trade their secondary for ours.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
I'm certainly proud of our team for the season, the SEC title, and all the great wins this year. But this night feels like a "chickens finally came home to roost" deal. Not just in this game, but over the course of the season, too many big plays given up in the secondary, too much dormant offense in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, and too many costly turnovers.

Tonight it just caught up to us, but this outcome could have gotten us in the Arkansas game, the LSU game, the Auburn game, and even the Mississippi State game, just as it got us against Ole Miss and tonight.

This new playoff system and challenges within it will reward the teams that dominate for four quarters, as opposed to the week-to-week grind of the regular season which allows for a greater margin of error.

Hopefully we respond with a good offseason that see improvement in the secondary, better game management and fewer turnovers on offense, and a chip on our shoulders to go out and be dominant for full games. We have the talent to do it, the coaches to demand/deliver it, and the support structure to sustain it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I tend to agree, but I'm willing to be the guy who is most likely wrong but remains the squeaky wheel just in case that's not reality.

I work in an industry that is 100% "yeah, but what are you doing NOW?". Resting on my laurels is fruitless, and we as fans should not allow that thought process to keep us from critically dissecting the performance of our coaches.
I'm torn about our future philosophy. I think CNS has sailed the ship on changing his offensive philosphy by hiring LK and recruiting more dual threat type qbs.

Now, will he need to change his defensive philosophy too to adjust to more prolific offenses?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Just for the record, before the season, Saban said privately that this was far from the most talented team he's had at Bama, but that he loved it for its heart and effort. I doubt that opinion has really changed till today. They've overachieved all year...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Offense loses the top 3 WRs, top RB, QB, 3 OL, and Fowler. Kelly, Howard and Cam return. Defense loses DePriest, Collins, Dickson, Perry and maybe some others.

The D should be good. Hopefully Ragland doesnt leave. The secondary, on paper, will be worse.

Overall Bama will be in the same position - lots of talented, unproven guys and a few spots where we *hope* guys come around.

We are on LSU's shoes in terms of attrition. We just happen to have a much better coaching staff.

The dynasty, unfortanately, may be over. I don't know if Saban will win another title. I say this because winning with a great D is over. Winning with a great O is a crapshoot. Winston, Mariota, Cam... these guys aren't guys you can consistently count on having year in and year out. Maybe Coker plays like them next year and we win it all... then what? We'll be breaking in a new QB and lose a ton of skill players - Henry, Howard, Drake... it's just hard to do year in and year out.
With Henry, Drake, Jones, Bo, Howard, Black, Sims, Foster, Stewart, Falkins -- we have the skill players to do some damage....

Our LT, Center.....are the centerpiece of any OL -- so, we can make that work.....

Our DL will be nasty -- and if we get Ragland Back --- we have our Defensive QB

It's not THAT dark....

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Cajun, we got blown back by the most physical team we have played in years. We weren't tricked or quick-snapped. We were pushed around until we finally pushed back.
I know that -- I was thinking more big picture -- in that we'll have to alter our strategies/systems to fit the way the game is changing......

I am not giving Meyer more time in my brain then he deserves.....hate the guy.....he's a head case.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
The rest of the teams we play aren't populated with Dre Kirkpatricks, either.

That's kinda the point. I've not looked at the numbers, but I'm willing to bet that, based on recruiting rankings, almost every team in the country would trade their secondary for ours.
Well the rest of CFB doesn't run CNS's defense. That's my theory. This defense needs Dre Kirkpatrick type corners. When we've had them we've been good. OR we need to simplify the defense so we get talent on the field faster to offset the early NFL departures. Cause if you look at our early departure numbers, it will be higher than the rest of the teams.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
Agree 100%. But I'll also say that the experts consider Bama the most talented team in the nation, by a pretty fair margin. To those that say this team overachieved, I'll respectfully disagree. The most talented team in the nation never overachieves.

I expect national championships. Nothing less. Ever.
Right on!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.