****Official Post-Game Thread - Bama vs. Ohio State****

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
On one of the 70yd runs I'm 99% sure it was one of the CBs that got hurtled. So I can put at least 25% of that on them.
that one play baffled me. he could have made any contact at all with the rb and made him step out of bounds, but he dove at the guy's feet instead of making contact up high allowing him to jump him

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That would be interesting unless he just gets PO'd per usual.
He won't answer this question publicly - though it'd help us avoid speculation about it. No way to answer it truthfully without a signing blame somewhere...
I think CNS, in the right setting, would probably admit it after watching the tape. Don't hardly see how he couldn't/wouldn't see it if he's being honest. But, it'll probably never get asked and, therefore, we'll probably never know.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Roger that. There was shortage of effort by the Tide last nite IMHO.
a shortage of effort is what we saw from fsu. i dont think there was a shortage of effort on the part of our team, a lack of execution and focus, yes, but not a lack of effort. if there was a lack of effor, we would not have had 3+ chances to tie/take the lead in the fourth quarter after getting man-handled like we did.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
a shortage of effort is what we saw from fsu. i dont think there was a shortage of effort on the part of our team, a lack of execution and focus, yes, but not a lack of effort. if there was a lack of effor, we would not have had 3+ chances to tie/take the lead in the fourth quarter after getting man-handled like we did.
My bust. I meant to say there was "no" shortage of effort. Brain freeze. I will edit my post. Thanks.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
I agree with you, and I am not saying that because we lost to OSU. After watching Oregon play yesterday, they are heads above everyone else. Realizing anything can happen in college football, if Oregon plays their usual game, they are going to take home the first playoff trophy.
Still, there are plenty of positives for Bama this season. We performed better than most expected and have great potential going forward. Saban is not one to be content with anything less than perfection, always thinking of ways to change and improve. I anticipate we will see some surprise moves in he next couple of weeks. As uncomfortable as it is to change, Saban will do whatever is necessary to be successful.

Yeah, I agree. Even if we had won, I would not have felt good about facing a seemingly unstoppable Oregon team. Personally, I think OSU will be the lambs at the slaughter. I guess we shall see!

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
OSU's QB looked slow to me running the ball, but we still could not catch him.
Because nobody was near him on the big runs. LB's dropped back in coverage (in the zone coverage OSU ate us alive on) and the whole middle of the field was open once he made it past the DL. It's almost like we didn't think CUM would run his QB.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My bust. I meant to say there was "no" shortage of effort. Brain freeze. I will edit my post. Thanks.
got it :) looking at how much "adversity" (a lot of it admittedly self-imposed ;) ) this team overcame this year to get into the playoffs as the #1 seed talks to the high character of this team.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
As committed to the run as CNS is, to me there are three possibilities.

One, we were worried about getting Henry injured and having to rely on T. Jones, so you use him sparingly. Two, you've listened too long to opposing coaches on recruiting fronts telling big-time wideouts "Bama doesn't run an offense that will utilize YOU as a primary part of the game plan - see how they abandoned AC in the semifinal game this year." Three, OC's today aren't usually praised because they run "traditional stuff" - they are hailed as innovators when they (shall we say) find a way to get the ball to their best receiver even when he's blanketed and by having an overachieving QB have success against a national semi-finalist. None of this happens when you repeatedly hand the ball off.

In the first scenario, you took your best weapon in this game away by playing "not to get hurt" instead of "playing to win". In the second, you're allowing the inmates to run the asylum- which will always lead to a wavering commitment to a specific philosophy. In the third, you have allowed ego and perhaps career ambition trump what is your best formula for success now. Of these three, I'm hoping it was the first... because the other two are VERY disturbing to consider as realistic possibilities.
-----
There's a fourth possibility, Rich: We ran the same offense that we ran all year. For the first time since 2007, we did not have a 1,000-yard rusher. That doesn't mean we were pass happy. We've kept defenses off balance all year. In Ohio State, though, we played the most physical set of DBs since Ole Miss, and they didn't miss any tackles. Their linebackers also were very fast. The fact that our defense couldn't get off the field put more pressure on Blake et al to make plays.

Would the game plan have changed with a healthy Yeldon? I think we would have run it more, sure. But it seems to me that we're criticizing the very approach that got us to the game in the first place.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
All due respect to both of you, as much as it pains me to say, running the football and stopping the run are becoming a thing of the past.

CNS allowed LK to call most of the games this year with a tilt to the passing game when many of us believed running might have worked better. CNS could have fired LK midseason, but instead he's bragged on the job he's done.

Bama has changed it's approach, at least temporarily, to become "softer" and more "up tempo" and a "passing team." This is all on CNS.

Now, the verdict is still out on if this will translate into NC in the near future. It produced an SEC championship this year.

As an aside, I'm going to watch the Arkansas Razorbacks in the next couple of years and see how their "old school" approach works for them. I've seen major improvement over just one year and it'll be interesting to see how they develop over the next couple. This year they reminded me alot of what we were in 2009 and 2011...so we'll see how this "style" works in what is a changing climate of college football.
Running and stopping the run are becoming a thing of the past only for a while. When I was a kid we slung the ball around pretty good... Namath, Stabler, Scott Hunter. And Bear's 1966 defense was fast, not big.
It is hard to see sometimes especially after a heartbreaking loss but these things really do go in cycles.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The thing about teams that run HUNH offenses (no matter what style) is they seem to be very efficient and I wonder if that has to do with the rhythm they get into while going fast? It puts pressure on your offense to be as efficient because odds are your defense isn't going to stop them many times.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.