****Official Post-Game Thread - Bama vs. Ohio State****

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
I'm pretty sure it was Shaun Dion Hamilton that got blocked on that play, not Reuben, but I could be wrong.

I'm not watching the championship game...

jdua

Scout Team
Nov 19, 2006
Based on us having earlier success (3 NC's in 5 years), I'm willing to give Saban and Smart the benefit of the doubt even for another season and call this an anomaly.
My, goodness......love this year's team and it was a great coaching job. The "reasons" for this that or the other almost always involve facts and details to which we aren't privy. These coaches, while fallible, are at the very top of their profession, worth every dime we pay them and bring untold benefits to the University. You simply cannot win all games.....other teams want to win, as well. Roll Tide........

10Bama54

1st Team
Sep 16, 2006
Well the rest of CFB doesn't run CNS's defense. That's my theory. This defense needs Dre Kirkpatrick type corners. When we've had them we've been good. OR we need to simplify the defense so we get talent on the field faster to offset the early NFL departures. Cause if you look at our early departure numbers, it will be higher than the rest of the teams.
I think that is part of our problem. The defense is so complicated that by the time they really learn it, they leave for the NFL and we have to start all over again. When was the last time that someone really good in the secondary stayed for all 4 years?

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
The rest of the teams we play aren't populated with Dre Kirkpatricks, either.

That's kinda the point. I've not looked at the numbers, but I'm willing to bet that, based on recruiting rankings, almost every team in the country would trade their secondary for ours.
Maybe you should look at the numbers. There are several teams that have a better secondary than ours, and they have more talented players than we do. We have recruited a lot of those players went to other teams, and didn't get them. Tony Brown and Marlon Humphrey and the first true blue chip CB's (according to recruiting rankings) we've signed at CB since Dee Milliner. In the time since then, we have relied on 2 JUCO guys (Menzie and Belue) and another that never played here (Travall Dixon) and several guys that are converted WR's or ATH's (Cy Jones, Jabriel Washington, Eddie Jackson, and Bradley Sylve - none were rated CB's by the recruiting services). Geno Smith and Maurice Smith were the highest rated CB's (4 stars) we've signed since 2011 and neither are starting at CB. Jonathan Cook was a 3 star.

We have a deficiency at CB, and have had for a while. Hopefully Brown, Humphrey, and incoming Minkah Fitzpatrick will develop into their 5 star rankings.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
That's a pretty good idea. I think I'll do the same. I couldn't stand to look at them again. Jury's still out on whether I even watch the NC game...

I won't, I have no stake in it. I don't care which team wins, so I will love having a break from football for a while.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'm pretty sure it was Shaun Dion Hamilton that got blocked on that play, not Reuben, but I could be wrong.

I'm not watching the championship game...
Right, it was #11 that got blocked so that that 85 yard run could take place. It was NOT #10.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I've thought for weeks this team had an underdog quality to it, because we would hit spells where we'd struggle with fairly basic things. Gotta give credit to OSU for outplaying and outcoaching us. I just struggle to understand the abandonment of running left, and the playcall after the short punt. Go down with your best weapon is my thought. Of course, if it had worked like the pass to Greene in OT at LSU, I'd be touting that call. The defense, for all its struggles, gave us chances in the 2nd half, but the offense just couldn't get it going.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I can't really agree on that, Brad. The only one I think most would swap for would be Collins. C. Jones is a retread receiver and shortish. Eddie Jackson is just off an ACL repair in the spring. Jarrick was also out with a severe injury. The others are really just utility people. We had two fabulous frosh signed and it appears that they just couldn't pick up the insanely complex system quickly enough to help. Saban's scheme has been so successful for so long, I'm not willing to just drop it completely. However, I agree that he should be giving a long hard look at it in the offseason. If it takes Dre, KJ, etc., to run, then perhaps it just has to be simplified. I know something has to be done about the soft spot in the middle. Tonight, that flaw really killed us. Our injuries tonight were devastating also. I've got to hand it to CUM. That last TD came right through the spot RR had just vacated with his concussion. Well, it was a good run and they did better, especially with career-long backup playing QB, than I ever thought they would...
Great point, and you're right. People look at the overall signing class rankings and automatically assume that we have more talent than anyone at all positions. That is not the case.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
If it takes Dre, KJ, etc., to run, then perhaps it just has to be simplified...
That's what it does. It is complex, but the system relies on having stud CBs that you can leave on an island. We didn't have that last year or this year. When we don't have that, we have to compensate with safety help over the top, but this year we didn't have teh centerfield type guy back there. And we don't have that Rashad, HaHa, or Barron that can play center field. Landon is a great player, but he's more of an in the box guy like Darren Woodson,/ Polamalu not the ballhawk like Teague or Ed Reed.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
We can second-guess the secondary play and the talent all we want, but at the end of the day if we avoid the costly turnovers and dropped passes we win this game, we beat Ole Miss, and our outlook going forward is 100% different. Maybe better ball control and game management on offense doesn't always beat the Johnny Manziel's and Oregon's of today, but it would've won for us tonight.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've thought for weeks this team had an underdog quality to it, because we would hit spells where we'd struggle with fairly basic things. Gotta give credit to OSU for outplaying and outcoaching us. I just struggle to understand the abandonment of running left, and the playcall after the short punt. Go down with your best weapon is my thought. Of course, if it had worked like the pass to Greene in OT at LSU, I'd be touting that call. The defense, for all its struggles, gave us chances in the 2nd half, but the offense just couldn't get it going.
I don't think any of us could understand abandoning the left, when they hadn't stopped it. If we had kept it up, they would have had to overload that side to stop it and that would have opened up the other side. Just a lot that's hard to understand about tonight...

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I don't think any of us could understand abandoning the left, when they hadn't stopped it. If we had kept it up, they would have had to overload that side to stop it and that would have opened up the other side. Just a lot that's hard to understand about tonight...
yep. It made no sense. I thought we would see a 2012 UGA type play all in the second quarter. They weren't stopping it, so why bother throwing? Just baffles me we let this one slip away.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I think it renews my appreciation for how high the level of competition is. We have great players and coaches, but someone else will get the rings this year. It's an awfully thin line between winning and losing.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Lots of memorable moments this season. Time to move on and take a little break. Congrats to our guys for all they accomplished. SEC Champs. See y'all around :)

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Well, I agree with what someone said about the chickens came home to roost tonight. We've played the same way in several games this year, but were able to overcome. In each loss this season, we had the ball at the end with at least a shot at it. I appreciate that. Fix the defense and run the ball until they stop it and we'll be ok.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.