Something to think about for next season

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Let me premise this by saying I am a Blake fan and thought he had a heck of a year. I have said it previously, he is a Coach Bryant type player as far as guts and will to win is concerned.

With that said, I think we will be better at QB next year. Blake won the job very late against a guy who had limited knowledge and experience in the system. Coker will have had 2 offseasons and 1 season in the "process". So, hopefully he will be ready to play next year. I think he has more "arm talent" and potential as a passer. I also think that Blake won some games for us this year with his legs that Coker couldn't have. It will be back to back seasons starting with a "green QB". That is something to be concerned about.

The key is defense. This years D played well overall. We have kind of been spoiled with defensive units like the 2009 and 2011 teams. We looked confused a lot this year in the secondary. I think that has to be nailed down. I do feel good about the D line and think we have some young talent at LB that will be big time players next year. I guess I am an optimist. The uptempo didn't look quite as scary this year. Another interesting thing to watch is changes in the staff because we do have some very talented assistant coaches.
I'm w ya, brother...

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
The 2014 team definitely overachieved in my book. 2015 will be a transitional yr IMO and winning 10 games will be a lofty goal. I agree with others that have said that 2016 will likely present a better opportunity to actually compete for an sec and national championship. As long as Saban is here the potential for the future will always be bright!

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Does looking back cause them to slow down? I don't know so I'm just asking.
I didn't realize that CNS is solely responsible for the DB's when I was thinking the style change was from a change in asst. coaches styles. Carry on, I'm just a rambling ol man. Bama will be better for this loss.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
more concerning:

Why were brown and humphery not able to step up and solve our secondary woes?
Marlon was not going to play much this season anyway due to not arriving to campus until the Summer. Tony was young and made some young mistakes. Both still need time to learn Saban's complex system. Simple as that.

Can we fix our OL with our present OL coach?
Yes. We have plenty of young OL guys from the last two recruiting classes that will form a dominant line.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
I didn't realize that CNS is solely responsible for the DB's when I was thinking the style change was from a change in asst. coaches styles. Carry on, I'm just a rambling ol man. Bama will be better for this loss.
Yeah. I'm just a rambling ol woman. LOL I agree.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Does looking back cause them to slow down? I don't know so I'm just asking.
Yes, it costs a half to a whole step, depending on the speed of the DB. Unless they are "in phase," they are trained to watch the receivers eyes until the last split second...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
How do they know when the last split second is? Just asking...I never understood that.
Most receivers will put their hands up when the ball is coming. That's when the DB, should in theory, turn and make a play on the ball. Easier said than done but I think that's the idea..

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
i remember dre having some rough games in 2010
I remember watching the 1986 Kickoff Classic with a bunch of friends, against an opponent I can't bring myself to name right now. We're up 16-10, but inside the last minute said opponent has the ball and is driving, partially courtesy of back-to-back PI calls against a freshman Alabama linebacker wearing jersey 55 - there were no names on the back that season, but that's an offseason thread. We're all yelling at the screen (yes, there was TV back then - color even!), "get 55 out of there!" because we didn't know his name.

Alabama held on to win. Number 55 was Derrick Thomas...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yes, it costs a half to a whole step, depending on the speed of the DB. Unless they are "in phase," they are trained to watch the receivers eyes until the last split second...
I know this is a staple of the CNS style of defensive back coaching, but based on what I saw this year, IT AIN'T WORKING!

Now the next time I call a defensive play will be the first, but many teams (especially the Barn) know what our guys are taught and that is why Marshall often threw into double coverage and more than often completed a 40-50 yard throw because their guys were playing the ball and our guys were not.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I think Saban and Smart share the position duties with the DBs. Kevin Steele took over linebackers from Smart this season.

I think.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The 2014 team definitely overachieved in my book. 2015 will be a transitional yr IMO and winning 10 games will be a lofty goal. I agree with others that have said that 2016 will likely present a better opportunity to actually compete for an sec and national championship. As long as Saban is here the potential for the future will always be bright!
If you consistently run with the big dogs, and we have and will as long as Coach Saban is at Alabama, every now and then you`re going to get bit. I think everyone will agree that we`ve done more than our share of the biting over the last few years. Sure, there`s disappointment when we lose, but it`s disappointment born of championships and excellence. 12-2, SEC Champions ! Pretty damned good season if you ask me! Even better ones to come! RTR!

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
The whole offense should be really interesting next season.
The WR group gets a huge shake up, but theres no shortage up young raw talent, these guys have been waiting for their turn.
RB will have KD back and Henry and T. Jones in their 3rd years on the team, Bo will be a new piece to use.
Don't know who the QB will be, but hopefully Coker works like crazy this off season.
He's got the size and arm, needs to get the playbook down pat and step up as a leader.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Here's something to think about, Nick Saban will once again have a #1 recruiting class, have an excellent spring and summer, have his team fully prepared for 2015, win 11-13 games and be an SEC/Playoff contender. RTR!!!

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
Here's something to think about, Nick Saban will once again have a #1 recruiting class, have an excellent spring and summer, have his team fully prepared for 2015, win 11-13 games and be an SEC/Playoff contender. RTR!!!
I approve of this massage

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
The whole offense should be really interesting next season.
The WR group gets a huge shake up, but theres no shortage up young raw talent, these guys have been waiting for their turn.
RB will have KD back and Henry and T. Jones in their 3rd years on the team, Bo will be a new piece to use.
Don't know who the QB will be, but hopefully Coker works like crazy this off season.
He's got the size and arm, needs to get the playbook down pat and step up as a leader.
Translation Alabama won't miss a beat.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I know this is a staple of the CNS style of defensive back coaching, but based on what I saw this year, IT AIN'T WORKING!

Now the next time I call a defensive play will be the first, but many teams (especially the Barn) know what our guys are taught and that is why Marshall often threw into double coverage and more than often completed a 40-50 yard throw because their guys were playing the ball and our guys were not.
How did the same technique work so well with Arenas, Jackson, Kirkpatrick, Milliner, et al then?

Fact of the matter is we just haven't had that same caliber of CB's the past couple years. It's been said plenty of times on here. Our starting CB's have been 3/low 4 star converted WR's/"athletes" with one just months off ACL injury. I don't believe there is a coach in the country that could have gotten much more out of those guys this year.

It's not like our coaches have magically forgotten how to coach CB's, and the suggestion that their coaching is in need of some drastic overhaul is pretty ridiculous IMO. Wait and see how we fare with Brown, Humphrey, Fitzpatrick, etc as juniors...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.