I'm proud of this team

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm sure there will be some people that want to point fingers, but this team accomplished something remarkable to make it this far. They played a far tougher schedule than any of the other three playoff teams, and unfortunately they limped into the playoffs. The team already had more heroics than one can expect of any team, they didn't have the advantage of coasting through a soft schedule (not to disparage what any other team accomplished). They had all their weaknesses probed, they faced challenge after challenge and just to make it this far says something tremendous. The other teams facing similar challenges didn't.

It's hard to accept for an Alabama Saban team, but this team really wasn't as skilled as some teams in the past. Alabama lacked Barret Jones type seniors. Blake Sims symbolizes a lot of Alabama's fourth and fifth year guys, borderline NFL talent with limited experience. These guys deserve our appreciation, I can name a few who stuck with the team despite injuries, and limited playing time, but it was always going to be a lot to ask them to go out there and play as though they were more skilled and experienced than they might actually be.

This Alabama team lacked experience, and skill, but they didn't lack dedication, they didn't lack talent. They had a good attitude, and they didn't fall apart like Auburn, Miss. State, etc... did. They played through adversity and they hung in there and never gave up.

If one must place blame, why not blame the playoffs themselves? An extra game, against a team far less worthy to be there, talented, yes, but a team that didn't run the same gauntlet, that didn't play with the same level of excellence. Or, perhaps we place no blame, and simply accept that the team accomplished something remarkable, given their experience, given the fact that some of the players who had been there the longer, had the least experience.

I firmly believe that if this game was to be played over, the results could be different. Perhaps Collins doesn't get hurt, perhaps Alabama doesn't have to put a true freshman linebacker out for key plays. That's not how it works though, this is the hand Alabama was dealt and I can't find anyone to be angry with (other than perhaps a few conference presidents). This team was in every single game, they played with grit and determination. I'll remember this team fondly.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Still won the conference. At the start of the season, I didn't think we would.
Good point, I neglected to mention the SEC Championship, heck I have to be honest... I pretty much forgot about it. Which, of course is a double standard considering I said prior to Saban's arrival that all I really hoped for was for Alabama to contend for SEC championships.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Similar sentiment. I thought this was an 8-4 team back in August after the WVU game and definitely felt confident in that after the Ole Miss and Arkansas games. BUT we got hot after the Arkansas game. Maybe preyed on a weak SEC (in retrospect) a bit and got lucky in Baton Rouge. Ended up 12-1 and in the playoffs instead of playing in the Outback Bowl like we would have in some of the stronger seasons for the conference in recent past. The reason we were on this stage was because the team fought to the bitter end despite some deficiencies. Same thing was true tonight. Would have loved some better playcalling on offense when we had an opportunity to steal the lead late...but it didn't happen and the chance to win got vastly slimmer.

I was never super high on a blowout...thought OSU's route to victory was turnovers and big plays in the passing game. They got both and won. We had fine season but weren't the dominant team some might have thought on here. That is all the more reason why I ended up liking this team more than most under Saban.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I'll post this here too just for fun.

Great season overall, this team exceeded my expectations. I was predicting a 9-3 regular season mainly because of our defensive holes and an inexperienced QB. I was not in Sims' corner pre-season and he proved me wrong big time. I'm proud he got his chance, he earned it and had a great season. I wish he had another year now, and this is saying a lot coming from someone who wanted Coker to start even after the first game of the year. Cooper was a blessing to watch this year, wish we could change his identity and keep him for a few more years. He should be fun to watch on Sundays. I wish Sims, Cooper and all the other players who are leaving the best of luck in whatever comes next for them.

Roll Tide Roll!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.