How do you groom leadership into this program?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It's no secret that after the guys who helped rebuild this program left that the leadership and accountability have been in steady decline. We have seen far fewer games where Bama finishes the opponent off and breaks their will.

The process does seem to have this major flaw: Guys leave early and that eventually creates a void of experience, and most importantly, leadership. So how do you fix this issue?

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Recruit a few players with known leadership skills on the field in high school? Honestly, I am not so sure if there is an easy fix or even an answer for this.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't think that you would have been able to come back the way that you did in so many games, against great opponents, if you didn't have great leadership in that locker room. Every team is different. My unsolicited advice - love each for what it has to offer.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Leaders are born. Some acquire it with time and experience. It's hard to convince young players they will lose if they don't practice and prepare very hard when playing against teams everyone including most fans think they just need to show up to win. After all, those 5 stars the magazines say Bama has so many of.....

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
I don't think that you would have been able to come back the way that you did in so many games, against great opponents, if you didn't have great leadership in that locker room. Every team is different. My unsolicited advice - love each for what it has to offer.
This has been an exciting year. I'm disappointed because I didn't give your Buckeyes much of a chance. It's painful to lose, but tOSU deserves all the credit for playing hard and winning. Bama was a tough out for you too my friend! Good luck in the championship game!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
With more talent than anyone we play we shouldn't have to keep coming from behind. But then, the talent is only human, so I have grown to expect it and try to console myself with looking at the big picture, as you said, and just appreciating the chance to come from behind. FSU didn't have that chance, t'was a blowout.

I will be rooting for OSU since I hate the HUNH and those God-awful green eye-sore uniforms. Go Buceyes.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think this team had plenty of leadership. Just listen to what Coach Saban said about this team all year. He said they played together and worked hard and were fun to coach. Those are signs of good leadership. Even though we would like to win it all every year, it just isn't going to happen.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Wouldn't use "groom" (bad implications) for new leadership. I would say "instill" - as in a new middle linebacker, particularly one whose feet are as fast as his thought processes...

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I think this team had plenty of leadership. Just listen to what Coach Saban said about this team all year. He said they played together and worked hard and were fun to coach. Those are signs of good leadership. Even though we would like to win it all every year, it just isn't going to happen.
I agree, and I think it's the reason we have 12 wins and a SEC Championship. We could have easily lost to Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi State (who out-gained us by a LOT in that game) and AU. We were very close to being a 5 loss team in the regular season. I wish people would keep that in mind. None of the teams above that we could easily been beat by ended up being great teams. A lot was made of the Mississippi teams being so great this year, but the truth is, the perceived top teams in the SEC were not elite this year. As it turns out, the West was pretty even across the board, but there wasn't an over and away great team this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.