JessN: Ohio State recap: Tide may have even more changes to make

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think I heard Fowler mention their total yardage was almost 50/50 pass/run.

It seemed more run heavy in plays, but their passing game was the perfect compliment to keep the ducks off balance.

Sounds familiar to another recent championship team!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Exactly. You take what the defense gives you. You can do the other to set up the other.
Agreed - In last night's game, our game plan was centered around the running game but it became clear early on that their tight coverage was causing problems for Cardale. He was taking too long to make decisions and deliver the ball. But our O-Line was dominating them, so we just started running the ball with no regard to down or distance. 3rd and long? No problem - run the ball. Receivers covered? No problem - tuck it and run the ball. Why force something in the passing game when you are killing them at the LOS?

IMO, if you had just run the ball at us in the Sugar Bowl, you would be champions this year instead of us. You'll pardon me for not feeling sorry for you. You had the better team and could have won, but it has been 12 long years for us and I am happy that we won, even if it is a result of a poor game plan instead of having the better team.

IMO, Saban and Kiffin learn from this. Alabama will return with a real hunger next year. I see you back in the playoff.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Agreed - In last night's game, our game plan was centered around the running game but it became clear early on that their tight coverage was causing problems for Cardale. He was taking too long to make decisions and deliver the ball. But our O-Line was dominating them, so we just started running the ball with no regard to down or distance. 3rd and long? No problem - run the ball. Receivers covered? No problem - tuck it and run the ball. Why force something in the passing game when you are killing them at the LOS?

IMO, if you had just run the ball at us in the Sugar Bowl, you would be champions this year instead of us. You'll pardon me for not feeling sorry for you. You had the better team and could have won, but it has been 12 long years for us and I am happy that we won, even if it is a result of a poor game plan instead of having the better team.

IMO, Saban and Kiffin learn from this. Alabama will return with a real hunger next year. I see you back in the playoff.
Congrats on the win and NC! I appreciate your contributions to our board.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Good observations...congrats to OSU and to you...a classy fan -- which all schools need in abundance.

Perrett4Bama

All-American
Aug 28, 2001
Panama City, Florida

B1GTide I agree with you about the Sugar Bowl. Congrats on the NC. I too enjoy your posts.......Roll Tide.....:)

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
I agree with others. B1G is a very classy fan, unlike a lot of the OSU fans we saw and heard in New Orleans. I guess it does go to show that every fan base does have both good and bad. Thanks for being so realistic and gracious. I've also had the pleasure of working with some OSU fans and graduates that are very classy as well so I'm trying to not let the New Orleans experience totally sour my view. Congrats!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

I agree with every word. Congrats and Roll Tide!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We lost to a really good team.
We should have won the game. Yes OSU was a really good team but let's not pretend like they were so good that we couldn't have won the game. Coaching and our inability to defend the pass is what lost us that game. Give OSU their props. They had a good team and a great year. But our staff's inability to recognize trends within the game and our weakness at secondary got us beat.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Congrats B1GTide. Your team played some great football to achieve what they did this year. You have taken a lot of jabs here over the past few months but you have represented yourself and your team very well here- kudos to you for that.

From what I have seen from OSU's last three games, they are excellent in blocking and tackling fundamentals, have both power and speed in the running game and in the front seven on defense, and they are physical everywhere. Cardale may not be polished in reading defenses or creating space in the pocket but he is a nightmare for a defense when he pulls the ball and decides to run.

Appreciate the comments above but I don't believe Bama had a better team this year than OSU. Bama had plenty of opportunities in the Sugar Bowl and didn't capitalize. OSU did.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
We sure had our chances. There were two potentially really big and very makeable plays that Bama failed to make in that game that really affected momentum: White's dropped pass on 3rd and 2 in Q2 and Cyrus Jones' dropped pick six in Q3.
And our refusal to run Henry when OSU had shown ZERO ability to stop him. 13 carries at 7.5 yds/carry makes me sick every time I think about it. I was anticipating in his postgame presser Meyer saying "I want to think the Alabama staff for not running #27. We really, really do appreciate that."

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
We should have won the game. Yes OSU was a really good team but let's not pretend like they were so good that we couldn't have won the game. Coaching and our inability to defend the pass is what lost us that game. Give OSU their props. They had a good team and a great year. But our staff's inability to recognize trends within the game and our weakness at secondary got us beat.

All true, but we are what we are. We had year-long weaknesses at defensive back, perhaps at linebacker, too, and we acked the great offensive line of yesteryear. Injuries to Yeldon and others during the game showed our depth to be overrated in key spots.

Ohio State was talented enough and physical enough to make us pay. We could have won. We didn't. We dropped passes. They didn't. We dropped interceptions. They didn't. We didn't run the ball enough. They did. And on and on and on.

Last edited:

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
And our refusal to run Henry when OSU had shown ZERO ability to stop him. 13 carries at 7.5 yds/carry makes me sick every time I think about it.
Indeed. I watched that game a second time this past week and Henry wasn't just running successfully over LT, he was ripping it right up the gut for five or ten yards now and then too.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
All true, but we are what we are. We had year-long weaknesses at defensive back, perhaps linebacker and lacked the great offensive line of yesteryear. and injuries to Yeldon and during the game showed our depth to be overrated in some spots.
I agree about the DBs and LBs but we'll never know about the depth at RB- unfortunately, we didn't see Tyren Jones who runs a lot like OSU's Elliott. I think he could have had a real impact on that game. I thought the OL improved a lot over this season but definitely short of what we fielded in 2011 and 2012.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I agree about the DBs and LBs but we'll never know about the depth at RB- unfortunately, we didn't see Tyren Jones who runs a lot like OSU's Elliott. I think he could have had a real impact on that game. I thought the OL improved a lot over this season but definitely short of what we fielded in 2011 and 2012.
Our pass defense has got to get better or we won't sniff another national title. When you get into the bigger games against the better teams they will pick at that weakness like a sore.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I would disagree at least to the extent that in-game trends relate to DB play. I think the staff knew quite well all of the problems it had, and did what it could to mitigate them, but at that point it is entirely too late to do anything about them. If you want to blame overall poor DB recruiting from 2010-2013, I would be on board with that, and to me that was the staff's real shortcoming.

Otherwise, if I'm looking for culprits, I'm zeroing in directly on QB play -- namely zero deep passing success until the late fourth quarter touchdown to White, plus two ugly interceptions that combined to cost us 14 points -- and the D-line, which was oddly enough pushed around pretty badly by Ohio State, despite being the bedrock of our defense all season. Really haven't seen much of a satisfactory explanation for why that happened, although the thin LB corp and the injury to Ragland certainly hurt matters late, other than to simply say that they didn't get the job done and were just outplayed.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.