Try to remember what you were expecting after the A-Day game...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
For a little perspective, try to remember what your expectations were for this season right after the A-Day game.

This team was one of the youngest - or at least most inexperienced - teams in the country. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year, not a potential Championship season.

When you think about it, the reason we were in this game tonight is because this team over-achieved.

I'm really proud of what this team was able to accomplish, especially Sims and Cooper!

This season didn't end the way we would have wanted but, all things considered, it was a very successful season. I think we'll be back in the College Football Playoff next season - with better results!

ROLL TIDE!

We'll get 'em next year. :)

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
I remember thinking we win 8 or 9 and if lucky 10 with a bowl game. I am surprised we got where we did. Sims surprised me.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
Seriously, after driving 400 miles to watch the A-day game, I left thinking we'd be lucky to be bowl-eligible. That was a big let-down after we'd packed #1 recruiting class after #1 recruiting class. Part of me thinks this year's team over-achieved. Another part of me thinks that since we have all this talent stock-piled, that maybe we under-achieved. I really don't know how I feel right now. Too close to a disappointing loss.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Glad you posted this. After A-Day, I thought we would loose several games.
Unfortunately I was right.

I was pleasantly surprised that Blake Sims became our starting QB. (Good job)
I was surprised at how well Lane Kiffin fit into Alabama football.

I was disappointed in our rushing attack.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Eh, I'm remembering sky high expectations from most. In fact, pointing out our flaws was no use to a sizeable portion of the members here.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I remember the consensus being a 9-3 regular season and a shot at the Capital One Bowl. In my mind, this team will go down as a successful one and we'll be adding a SEC Championship marker to the Walk Of Champions to remind us of that success. Did we go all the way? No. Did we have a shot? Yes.

Oh.

And we beat Auburn.

So not everything we dreamed of, but still above expectations.

And I'm looking forward to 2015... hoping we can hold on to some of the Jr's we typically lose to the NFL so they can finish what they started.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I remember telling my mom at the beginning of the season that we would be a 2-3 loss team. With a new QB albeit a 5th year senior, and a lot of question marks, I didn't see us as a championship team. When we barely escaped Arky I was like here we go. It was frustrating. Then we beat the crap out of AM, and I thought we have a chance. I even remember telling my cousin's husband at our Halloween party that I didn't think we would be a championship team this year. Then we came back from the pits against LSU and Auburn to go on and win a SECC. I was very, very surprised that this team achieved so much, and I am proud of our boys. They have a lot of heart and determination, but we just came up a little short. It would have been nice to see Sims and the likes ride off in the sunset with a storybook ending, but it wasn't meant to be. Still a lot to be proud of heading into next season.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
The only frustrating thing about all of this is, we did accomplish a lot of great things when people didn't see us accomplishing BUT we did and we were there and that was a game we should have won. It doesn't take anything away from the great season ... just saying that last night ... it was all about one game.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
The only frustrating thing about all of this is, we did accomplish a lot of great things when people didn't see us accomplishing BUT we did and we were there and that was a game we should have won. It doesn't take anything away from the great season ... just saying that last night ... it was all about one game.
I agree that the frustration all lies on the one game. But when you step back and look at the season, it's all good. I mean, think about it.

We had not only a new QB, but that QB spent what, two years as a RB? And when he was moved to QB, most thought it was a temporary thing. Even DURING THE SEASON, some thought he wasn't really going to be our starter all season.

Our top three cornerbacks consisted of two converted WRs, a true sophomore who wasn't a 5-star athlete coming out of HS. And this in an era requiring more and more of defensive backs.

We were starting a true freshman at left tackle.

In the Spring, we had a backup QB as our punter.

We were probably the youngest team in the SEC West and won the division only losing one game on the road to a top 10 team (well, at the time).

It was our second down year in a row, and we played in yet another big 4 bowl and will finish in the top 10 again. Find me another program in the country that could have a down year with a new QB and youth all over the place and still consider a probable #4 finish in the final polls as a sign that the "dynasty" is over.

Looking at the last three years, your rankings would be:
1. FSU (39-3)
2. Ohio State (37-3)
3. Oregon (36-4)
4. Alabama (36-5)

If you consider only the last two years, it's the same story, except Oregon and Ohio State are flipped.

Right now, I think you can say we are the fourth best program in the country. Of those top 4 programs, only three of them would have national championships on their resume over the last three seasons and we are one of them - so you could argue that we are the third. And, I would even argue that FSU shouldn't even be on that list because they've essentially thrown any kind of ethical behavior out the window.

You can argue that for the money that Saban is paid, we shouldn't have down years. But we should recognize that even in our "down years", we are still a top 3 or top 4 program in college football - and these top 4 are pretty clear cut. Everyone else's down years have been 8-5 type seasons. Our down years are 12-2 seasons.

If we can continue to get smart play from our QB and develop a defensive backfield, we are going to be back next year. We have the nation's best punter, one of the nation's best RBs, and will have one of the nation's best front 7s. We have a likely future Outland Award winner. We have the ingredients to move from a down year to a championship year soon.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
"Right now, I think you can say we are the fourth best program in the country. "

Respectfully disagree with this part. We may currently be one of the best 4-6 "teams" in the country but I don't think anyone has a better "program" IMHO.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
"Right now, I think you can say we are the fourth best program in the country. "

Respectfully disagree with this part. We may currently be one of the best 4-6 "teams" in the country but I don't think anyone has a better "program" IMHO.
We can agree to disagree. And don't misunderstand - as a "program" from top to bottom, we are clearly better than FSU. Heck, almost everyone is better than FSU because most other programs tend to look down on things like, I don't know, assault and battery. But I think the most conservative placement for our program amongst all teams based on wins and losses is 4th. And that after the weakest two-year stretch in the Saban era, excepting his first year. Heck, it's the first two year stretch since 2008 that didn't see a national championship.
It is worth noting that we accomplished something this year that was even more rare for us than winning a national championship - that is, winning the SEC Championship. We're still - by a good margin, I believe - the best program in the SEC. Auburn and Mizzou are probably #2 and #3.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
For a little perspective, try to remember what your expectations were for this season right after the A-Day game.

This team was one of the youngest - or at least most inexperienced - teams in the country. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year, not a potential Championship season.

When you think about it, the reason we were in this game tonight is because this team over-achieved.

I'm really proud of what this team was able to accomplish, especially Sims and Cooper!

This season didn't end the way we would have wanted but, all things considered, it was a very successful season. I think we'll be back in the College Football Playoff next season - with better results!

ROLL TIDE!

We'll get 'em next year. :)
I understand the motivation behind your post, and I agree with most of it. To be fair though, little of what we see at any A-Day game shows the fans enough to reach a logical expectation for the entirety of the season.
To be truthful, what this team managed to achieve is miles ahead of what I actually expected. For that, I am both pleasantly surprised and extremely proud.
Although there are many questions today in regards to next year, we have another 8 months for them to be answered. I'm sure CNS and staff won't disappoint. RTR
:biga:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
10-2. 2nd in the west behind Auburn. So looking at that I'm excited at the season we had. Beat Auburn and win the SEC.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
True that this season turned out a little better than reasonably expected but it doesn't ease the feelings that we let a winnable game slip through our fingers yesterday by less than optimum play.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.