Some late-night post-mortems...

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
In addition to the recap, the following things have been running through my head since the end of the game...

1) In the preseason, TideFans.com had Florida State at #2, Alabama at #3 and Ohio State at #4 (we had Oregon at #7, I think). So this game wasn't as much of a surprise to me, personally, as it might be to others. I picked Alabama to win by 11 points, or two scores. Usually, even after a loss (Alabama vs. Ole Miss, for instance), I'll still feel like if the game was played again, I could see Alabama winning by whatever margin I picked. Not this time. I think 10 runs at this would produce six Alabama wins and it would be by a one-score-or-less average. Ohio State is much farther along than I thought they'd be at this point.

2) People looking for the SEC to falter may get their wish next year. It will be interesting to see whether Alabama is picked to win the West, or whether it will be Ole Miss, MSU or Texas A&M. I don't think you can legitimately make a case for Auburn, LSU or Arkansas next year. The overriding point is that I don't see a great team there. Alabama is the only potentially great team, with Ole Miss next up, but only if the Rebels find a QB and Hugh Freeze improves as a coach. I thought a lot of shine came off his diamond this year. And Alabama simply loses too much on offense for people to assume they can be great right out of the box. SEC East? Georgia and Missouri are the only two teams that could break out, and behind them ... Tennessee? The East is a mess.

3) Defensively, Alabama took steps back this year overall despite what the coaches did with the DL rotation. I spent a lot of time in the recap article on it. It's going to be a challenge to make big changes because you're essentially asking Saban to consider going away from what he's taught for 20-30 years. Therefore, I don't think he does it. I think you'll see Alabama ride this scheme to the end of his career -- which is fine, but it puts a lot of pressure on him to bring in even more top-level corners and safeties than he does now. Also, going forward, the LB recruiting has to change to more of a Mosley model than a DePriest model. We talked about that so much last recruiting cycle that my head swims just thinking about it. If Alabama is going to be knocked off its perch, this is what will cause it if it's not handled well.

4) The following falls under Stuff That's Not My Job, but I've been critical for years over the reluctance to pull people who consistently make mistakes. I respect the heck out of Eddie Jackson for coming back quickly from a torn ACL, but it was just like that season DeQuan Menzie came back early from -- he just wasn't consistent enough. I would like to see Bradley Sylve get another legitimate shot at starting, since he'll be a fifth-year senior coming up. It may happen anyway, as Alabama needs help at safety and Jackson could play there. Maurice Smith had a poor 2014 and capped it off with multiple special teams misfires against Ohio State. In addition to the taunting penalty, he just flat-out matador'ed the end gunner on kickoff returns a couple of times and Christion Jones paid for it. As it stands now, the safeties next year are Geno Smith and Laurence Jones, with Maurice Smith and Jabriel Washington the likely backups. I'm not sure how I feel about that right now.

5) Other stuff that worries me: Dillon Lee and Denzel Devall not being able to stay healthy ... finding a DE who can rush the passer as well as Dickson but also set the edge ... Recruiting someone to be able to play A'Shawn Robinson's role after he leaves next year for the NFL ... LB depth ... both tight end and H-back/fullback, as Howard isn't ever going to be the killer blocker UA needs there, and the fullback position became huge this season for Alabama.

Every season is its own thing, but next year's outlook is about the cloudiest I can recall at this point. Just not a lot of known quantities to go on.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
We need speed at LB. Fast LB's who can cover and run sideline to sideline would cure a lot of what ails our D right now. I like DePriest, but hes slow and gets exposed against good passing teams. As you said there, we need Mosley's, not DePriest's.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
One observation I have is that Baylor, Oregon and OSU (now) are three among several who always have a top notch QB who excels right out of the box. It seems to take us two years just to reach the good level even when we have recruited a 4 or 5 star. I wish we would hire someone to work with our QB's on the bench so they would be improved next year, or whatever it is the Baylors and Oregons of the world do.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
It will be interesting to see if Kiffin can again adapt the offense to the players on hand. TE seems to be a trouble spot, since we don't seem to have anyone with standout blocking OR receiving skills.

TideHiFlyer

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2012
A, A
Does Kirby Smart bear any responsibility in developing our 4 and 5 start talent that is consistently giving up so many yards and points? Im thinking the Iron Bowl and Sugar specifically. Some are dogging Kiff, but he is not the problem. 35 points should win a ball game.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The SEC and Alabama are no longer the dominant forces in college football. It appears that the rule changes have leveled the playing field and changed the overall dynamics of the game. I do agree that next year is a question mark.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
The saving grace next year could be a dominate O line which allows us to control LOS and clock. Skill positions should not be a problem Of course, lots has to come together to make that a reality. I still think a dominate running game can win even in today's game. I think we saw a little bit of that last night but we just didn't stay with it for whatever reason.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
We need speed at LB. Fast LB's who can cover and run sideline to sideline would cure a lot of what ails our D right now. I like DePriest, but hes slow and gets exposed against good passing teams. As you said there, we need Mosley's, not DePriest's.

Speaking of speedier linebackers, did Evans play last night?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Im still trying to figure out how we lost to a third string QB. I hate to think what could have happened had their other two been available.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
One observation I have is that Baylor, Oregon and OSU (now) are three among several who always have a top notch QB who excels right out of the box. It seems to take us two years just to reach the good level even when we have recruited a 4 or 5 star. I wish we would hire someone to work with our QB's on the bench so they would be improved next year, or whatever it is the Baylors and Oregons of the world do.
I disagree with this. We have had very good QB play. We had two first year starters win a national title and the latest, Blake Sims, break every meaningful QB record for a season and get some Heisman discussion.

QB play has been good. It's the secondary play that puzzles me.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The SEC and Alabama are no longer the dominant forces in college football. It appears that the rule changes have leveled the playing field and changed the overall dynamics of the game. I do agree that next year is a question mark.
This. I told my dad yesterday as we watched Auburn play Wisconsin (and after watching all the other bowl games with SEC teams in them) that the SEC is no longer the best conference. Whatever the reason is doesn't matter. The bottom line is there's no question and no denying that the SEC is no longer the best conference. I sat and watched (whether it be Ole Miss, Miss St., Auburn, etc) these games and noticed these teams were just as fast (in many cases faster) and just as good as the SEC teams on the other side of the line of scrimmage. The game of football is very cyclical. What the SEC did for seven straight years was amazing and may not be matched again. But the winds of change have no doubt blown in and shaken things up.

As for Alabama and last night. I'll leave the technical aspect of the game to JessN's analysis as I believe he has once again nailed it. But what keeps running through my mind is we just got beat with a team that had their third string quarterback starting his second game. He lit our secondary up and for much of the night didn't play or look like a third stringer only starting his second game. I can only wonder and ask could our third string quarterback been capable of the same? The resounding answer is no. Someone asks how Baylor, TCU and these other programs seem to be able to plug and play qb's without any drop off. Here's why. The type offenses they run are very simple to learn and very simple to run. Where as the more pro style offenses are harder to learn and take longer to learn it. Hence there is NO WAY if we were in the same position as OSU (with the first and second QB going down) that we could have just plugged in our third string QB and had any chance at having the same success.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Our secondary really needs to be addressed in the off season and I'm sure it will be. We lived on the edge all year from game 1 and it burned us last night. We desperately need to acquire/develop some lock down corners and more nimble LB's that can better handle the spread O.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Our secondary really needs to be addressed in the off season and I'm sure it will be. We lived on the edge all year from game 1 and it burned us last night. We desperately need to acquire/develop some lock down corners and more nimble LB's that can better handle the spread O.
I completely agree but I'll also throw in that in this day and age of offense our offense can't have three and four consecutive three and outs or consecutive series of ineptness. Last night we were not very efficient on offense and that puts the defense in a position of razor thin room for mistakes.

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
I disagree with this. We have had very good QB play. We had two first year starters win a national title and the latest, Blake Sims, break every meaningful QB record for a season and get some Heisman discussion.

QB play has been good. It's the secondary play that puzzles me.
If we are going to win NCs in the future, we will need even better QB play. Our OL is not as good as the 2009-2011 teams and since Pendry is gone, will probable never reach that level again.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.