The number of commercials during a tv broadcast has gotten out of hand.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Football fans are at the mercy of the networks that broadcast the games. Their motivation for doing so is to make a profit, and they do it by showing their captive audience commercials. Over and over, more and more.

In the old days, I could run to the store at halftime if need be...now I can grill a hamburger at halftime, with enough time left to eat it too before the second half kicks off. By the time the second half does get started, you almost need some Cliffnotes to remember what has happened.

And the commercial timeouts during the games...how many times have we seen a team get a little momentum going, only to be put on ice so the viewers can be pitched the latest car insurance? I know that has got to frustrate the coaches.

Do the fans, and coaches have absolutely no leverage to push back? The SEC Commissioner should give the SEC Network limits on the amount of time a game can be delayed to sell products. With the coaches backing. Let the SEC Network be a viewer friendly network, not one where the fans gets no consideration other than how to sell them something?

I'm sure this oversimplifies the problem...but why not just charge the advertisers twice as much to air an ad but only show half as many ads?

Wouldn't it be something if fan bases starting boycotting advertisers who blanket games with obnoxious commercials. Routinely, consistently, until they dial it back. Set the standard... you offer me a product several times during the game, ok. If you run so many ads the game is delayed, good luck selling your product to us.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
If they don't have those commercials, the cost wil be passed on to the consumer in someway!

CrimsonNan

BamaNation Hall of Fame
Oct 19, 2003
Vestavia Hills, Alabama, USA
Football fans are at the mercy of the networks that broadcast the games. Their motivation for doing so is to make a profit, and they do it by showing their captive audience commercials. Over and over, more and more.

In the old days, I could run to the store at halftime if need be...now I can grill a hamburger at halftime, with enough time left to eat it too before the second half kicks off. By the time the second half does get started, you almost need some Cliffnotes to remember what has happened.

And the commercial timeouts during the games...how many times have we seen a team get a little momentum going, only to be put on ice so the viewers can be pitched the latest car insurance? I know that has got to frustrate the coaches.

Do the fans, and coaches have absolutely no leverage to push back? The SEC Commissioner should give the SEC Network limits on the amount of time a game can be delayed to sell products. With the coaches backing. Let the SEC Network be a viewer friendly network, not one where the fans gets no consideration other than how to sell them something?

I'm sure this oversimplifies the problem...but why not just charge the advertisers twice as much to air an ad but only show half as many ads?

(((Wouldn't it be something if fan bases starting boycotting advertisers who blanket games with obnoxious commercials. Routinely, consistently, until they dial it back. Set the standard... you offer me a product several times during the game, ok. If you run so many ads the game is delayed, good luck selling your product to us.)))
I was thinking the same thing. Lol!!!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The funny thing to me is that you used to get cable tv in order to avoid the commercials. You were paying a fee to watch... Now, cable tv is just as bad as the regular broadcast stations for commercials. It is out of hand, and it would be nice to be able to send the sponsors a message with a boycott, but the American populous is incapable of such organization, IMO.

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
What really drove me crazy yesterday was the obnoxious logos on the field. So now we have: 1) the massive midfield logo, with game-sponsor branding; 2) the goofy playoff trophy logo at the 25's; and 3) a new sponsor logo in the middle of the field between the 25's.

It's too much.

The SEC network was started as an additional revenue stream for both ESPN and the league, so I don't see them putting the brakes on more advertising revenue, unfortunately.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I figured the day after our disaster everybody would be grumpy and I was hoping this post could give us all a common villain to fuss about. ;)

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I agree, but it is not restricted to football or any sports program. It is in practically every show on tv. What used to be 4 minutes of commercial is now 8 minutes or more. During any one commercial break on tv, I count 12 to 16 commercials, depending on the length of each one.
I agree, it's gotten out of hand, and it has gotten now to where tv shows are being shortened to make up for the increase in number and time of commercials.
I'm really tempted to just turn mine off, and I probably would do just that if it weren't for this new 60" LED tv I just bought.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's hilarious, the reasoning they gave for the 40 second game clock - which has completely changed the game on a variety of levels - was to shorten the games. They never clarified that it was in order to fit more advertising in the same time frame...

To put it another way, Oregon is in (and likely to win) the playoffs because the networks wanted to make more money.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I wouldn't mind so many commercials if they would actually show different ones. They show the same commercial over and over and then 12 more times.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
The most ridiculous sequence in a football game is a punt, then commercials, then come back for one play that ends the quarter, then more commercials. Why have commercials after punts near the end of a quarter?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I agree, but it is not restricted to football or any sports program. It is in practically every show on tv. What used to be 4 minutes of commercial is now 8 minutes or more. During any one commercial break on tv, I count 12 to 16 commercials, depending on the length of each one.
I agree, it's gotten out of hand, and it has gotten now to where tv shows are being shortened to make up for the increase in number and time of commercials.
I'm really tempted to just turn mine off, and I probably would do just that if it weren't for this new 60" LED tv I just bought.
a 30 minute show is now 22 minutes with 8 minutes of commercials. The Simpsons once did a 24 parody show that was exactly 24 minutes long. They had to get special permission to do that and I believe even had to pay out of their own pocket for those extra 2 minutes.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Come on Chukker you know you went and picked up Taco Bell for breakfast this morning then canceled cable for DirectTV.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
They seem to think if they can make the ad annoying enough or show it over and over people will give in and buy their product.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I got the season 1 DVD of The Blacklist for Christmas. I watched it on our break from work, and each episode was approx. 42 minutes. That is way too much time spent on commercials.

I felt like the entire halftime of the Oregon/FSU game was commercials. I honestly cannot tell you the last time I saw a commercial and thought to myself I want that.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Wouldn't it be something if fan bases starting boycotting advertisers who blanket games with obnoxious commercials. Routinely, consistently, until they dial it back. Set the standard... you offer me a product several times during the game, ok. If you run so many ads the game is delayed, good luck selling your product to us.
It's not just Football. There are more commercials than ever on regular TV shows.
Commercials pay the bills. ( I hate em too, but I'm expert in tuning them out...)

Commercials are part of the reasons we have games lasting 4-4.5 hrs., that and doing nothing but pass on Offense...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.