Do the refs slow the game next year?

fralo4tide

1st Team
Jun 4, 2009
Pensacola, FL
When, oh when, will a sports figure or analyst cry out about this? Surely, if we are talking about this, they have as well. Or have they already, only I'm not aware?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
After watching the Rose Bowl, which was the first time I`d actually seen Oregon play, I just don`t see how realistically any defense can be expected to stop a well-honed, efficiently operating up-tempo offense like theirs, especially with a QB so schooled and experienced in that system and as talented as MM. It`s death by a thousand cuts. It seems to me the only hope is to simply outscore them if you can somehow. Basketball on grass.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
FSU QB's will not allow the refs to slow the game down.

I thought this past season was going to be changed up a little so that refs did not run to their positions but like freefall mentioned above, it has not been consistent. It is ridiculous when the officials are not given the time to get into position and have the opportunity to make all the checks and observations they require.

Okay, someone metioned basketball earlier. Was there a time in international basketball rules when the referee did not have to touch the ball after it went out of bounds and the team throwing it in could pick up the ball and throw in directly?

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I know. We purists need to start making more noise!!
All we have to do is stop watching. When the ratings dip and the money is affected, they will implement change. I do not think there needs to be any changes to the rules, however. They simply need to instruct the refs to not place the ball until they are ready and set for the next play. I do not care if a team runs the hurry up, but I do care when they are allowed to break the rules that are in place due to refs not being in position.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It will get addressed in the offseason. it has been brought up several times. Illegal men down the field, chop blocks, illegal picks, Snapping the ball before the players is off the field, snapping the ball before offical reviews the plays.. I think out of those .. the one offical reviewing the plays will be the big one.. might add.. 5 second delay to each snap.. who knows?

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
If the referee would take a little initiative and not blow the "ready for play" whistle until his crew was all in place and ready for the play then that would help some.

BUT, you know the coaches that want to use the HUNH offense would be all over the referee for RUINING their offensive strategy.

I think the HUNH offense needs to go away!!

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
It will get addressed in the offseason. it has been brought up several times. Illegal men down the field, chop blocks, illegal picks, Snapping the ball before the players is off the field, snapping the ball before offical reviews the plays.. I think out of those .. the one offical reviewing the plays will be the big one.. might add.. 5 second delay to each snap.. who knows?
I'm betting that it is not really addressed. Unfortunately, there is a growing fanbase that just simply equates points scored in a game to mean a great game played. I doubt anything of substance will be done to slow this gimmick down.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
the NFL handles the HUNH by making the refs running one pace... the refs pace. In college the refs run the pace of the offense, and that is why it only works in college

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
My wife (a UA grad who amazingly enough is not a football fan) actually came up with a great suggestion to solve the problem. Combine the 25 second and 40 second rules to make a window in which the offense has to snap the ball. For example, the play clock is set for 40 seconds as it is now, and begins running as soon as the previous play ends. The officials have 25 seconds to place the ball and make sure the players are in place. The offense then has to snap the ball between 25 seconds and 40 seconds. Snapping before 25 seconds is an offsides penalty and snapping after 40 seconds is delay of game.

This meets the intent of the original 40 second rule change of speeding up the game while giving everyone time to get set to go. No more snapping the ball before players are off the field or set on the line.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
My wife (a UA grad who amazingly enough is not a football fan) actually came up with a great suggestion to solve the problem. Combine the 25 second and 40 second rules to make a window in which the offense has to snap the ball. For example, the play clock is set for 40 seconds as it is now, and begins running as soon as the previous play ends. The officials have 25 seconds to place the ball and make sure the players are in place. The offense then has to snap the ball between 25 seconds and 40 seconds. Snapping before 25 seconds is an offsides penalty and snapping after 40 seconds is delay of game.

This meets the intent of the original 40 second rule change of speeding up the game while giving everyone time to get set to go. No more snapping the ball before players are off the field or set on the line.
I'm betting a lot of teams would have trouble counting this....:)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
After watching the Rose Bowl, which was the first time I`d actually seen Oregon play, I just don`t see how realistically any defense can be expected to stop a well-honed, efficiently operating up-tempo offense like theirs, especially with a QB so schooled and experienced in that system and as talented as MM. It`s death by a thousand cuts. It seems to me the only hope is to simply outscore them if you can somehow. Basketball on grass.
This is a big factor. The tempo works only if the offense is clicking. With MM and the skill guys at Oregon, the execution - more often than not - is right, which leads to the tempo.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I was about to post the same thing..College football needs to watch the NFL & how the NFL refs are in control, but, still allow the HUNH offense to go at a pretty swift pace, but, the refs are in full control of the game & the pace of the game..And the refs are always in position they should be in & not out of place cause an offense is in a really fast pace..College refs should control the pace of the game & not a HUNH offense..And would love to see an "Unsportsmanlike" penalty thrown at the Gus Bus when he's all up in their grill trying to get the refs to go at an unreasonable fast pace..

the NFL handles the HUNH by making the refs running one pace... the refs pace. In college the refs run the pace of the offense, and that is why it only works in college

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
It's another scheme to give teams that don't have great talent to be able to compete against teams like Bama. If they cant match up with talent, they try to beat you with pace. It does neutralize a lot of things a power team uses.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's another scheme to give teams that don't have great talent to be able to compete against teams like Bama. If they cant match up with talent, they try to beat you with pace. It does neutralize a lot of things a power team uses.
Thing is, I don't think many, if any, here oppose that idea. What's irritating is using it to defeat the rules of the game...

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Sorry man, I enjoy reading your posts, but I think this one may be a little off. The HUNH is NOT a "scheme", per se. The HUNH has nothing to do with the style of offense you play. A "power" team can easily use the HUNH as well, & Alabama did some this season. The HUNH is completely a quick-snap gimmick used to usurp the "spirit of the game". Every defense I watch struggles consistently because of that reason....quick-snap gimmick. Again, the HUNH has nothing to do with a team's style offensive play (power, read-option, air-raid....it does not matter).

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
The college game actually did something to aide the hurry up teams this year. If you notice they added a center judge (has a big C on his back) strictly for running at warp speed to place the ball and get out of the way. This used to be the umpire's job, but with hurry up offenses this was taking too long. Oh they will say he looks for illegal line play, but his job is to place the ball so offenses can use the hurry up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.