Can someone explain the NO Safety for me?

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I disagree, if he had broken loose and thrown a pass it would've counted, so why does the struggle not count?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
In steps:

1.A ball carrier is met in the field of play by a defender.
2.If the defender completes the tackle then the ball is spotted where the tackle began.
3.The tackle is not completed until the player is down.
4.Where the ball carrier ends up does not nullify #2.
5.If, prior to being down, the ball carrier breaks free of the tackle then everything resets.

#5 is why he could have still thrown the ball and it would have counted. He was not yet down. Once he was down, the ball was spotted where the tackle was initiated.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
In steps:

2.If the defender completes the tackle then the ball is spotted where the tackle began.
5.If, prior to being down, the ball carrier breaks free of the tackle then everything resets.

#5 is why he could have still thrown the ball and it would have counted. He was not yet down. Once he was down, the ball was spotted where the tackle was initiated.
What if the player never goes down? The refs can whistle the play dead once a ball carrier is stopped.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
What if the player never goes down? The refs can whistle the play dead once a ball carrier is stopped.
Yes, they can. But you've seen 100 plays where we've hit a RB at (for example) the 30 yard line and drove him back 5 yards and then the whistle blows. The ball always goes back to the 30. Yes, it could have been called either way but the correct call was made.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
Forward progress has nothing to do with the direction of the runner. He can be going forward or backwards, it does not matter. It's about the most forward position of the ball during the start of the tackle till the play is dead. Play is dead by either the player being down or the refs calling the play dead. In that window of time from start to finish, where did the ball make its most forward progress? (read AgentAntiOrange's post) If the play is not dead, the runner still can break free and advance or back up the ball.

The tackle started outside of the end zone. The qb then was down in the end zone, ending the play. Where during the process was the ball most forward? Outside of the end zone. It was NOT a safety. The refs got it right.

Last edited:

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
In steps:

This is correct. Progress is often a delayed call depending on what happens after the initial contact. The offensive player can still escape or throw which takes away the progress spot they gained. This was 100% correct call.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Well guys, all I can say is Coach Saban vehemently disagreed......I'll go with Nick on that one.
I'm sure that on the field in real-time it looked like a safety. And, I might be wrong, but I think he was upset because FSU got a play off before the booth had time to review it. But I might be wrong on that.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
It always amazes me how something is being argued or discussed on the sideline between refs, coaches, players, etc. and folks from a distance think they know what is going on. It isn't always as it seems.

I saw a TV game when a player looked like he was talking back strongly to a coach and the announcer went on how the player was talking back to the coach. My thought was that the player was agreeing with the coach, was upset with himself, and was letting the coach know he understood and would not let it happen again. Who knows what was really going on?

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007
They got the call right IMHO but they spotted the ball incorrectly. Looks like it should have been spotted at or inside the one. If memory serves, they spotted at the two or three.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
They got the call right IMHO but they spotted the ball incorrectly. Looks like it should have been spotted at or inside the one. If memory serves, they spotted at the two or three.
He initiated contact around the 2. There was no issue with the spot. Replay does have the ability to review the spot of forward progress but only as it pertains to first downs or the goal line. They could not review this spot.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.