Post Season - Pre Spring Practice "Who's Gonna Be the QB Next Year" Thread

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Re: Post Season - Pre Spring Practice "Who's Gonna Be the QB Next Year" Thread

I know he was consider dual threat, but I also know what I saw in the spring and his limited pt this year. Perhaps with more time in the system and more reps he gets quicker, but his timing and throwing motion seemed too slow in my un-expert analysis. ;)
You said he seemed like more of a drop back passer instead of a dual threat, so I was just pointing out that he is actually pretty mobile. Timing and throwing motion has nothing to do with that, although I do agree with your assessment, especially early on. He looked better against WCU than he did earlier in the year throwing the ball.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Many here may disagree, but I think Coker will start.
In his limited playing time, he hasn't looked too bad, despite mostly playing with the 4s-5s. One major thing in favor of Coker is he spread the ball around more than Sims...
Early knock on Coker is he didn't know the Offense. If he doesn't know it by Spring someone else will be favored.

I will be surprised if one or more QB's don't transfer out when they see the direction the wind blows.

Good news is that Coach Kiffin has had more time with our QB's now, and all should be better.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I really hope we name a starter before the first game. All these QBs have been here for at least a year, and most of them more than that..

B

BroadwayJoe777

Coker has to be the odds on favorite at this juncture. I am intrigued with Cromwell though.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

I really hope we name a starter before the first game. All these QBs have been here for at least a year, and most of them more than that..
Just curious... but why? I actually see more advantages to NOT naming a starter but I've got an open mind. Obviously, if one guy really stands out, whether he's officially named the starter or not, it will be clear. I'd rather have a few guys duking it out with everything they have until September 5th and I'd also rather not commit a starting job to a player before the other players have been given every chance to prove themselves.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Just curious... but why? I actually see more advantages to NOT naming a starter but I've got an open mind. Obviously, if one guy really stands out, whether he's officially named the starter or not, it will be clear. I'd rather have a few guys duking it out with everything they have until September 5th and I'd also rather not commit a starting job to a player before the other players have been given every chance to prove themselves.
To have a clear cut leader and to get that player the most first team reps. It's hard to get your eventual starter enough reps with the 1st team to build chemistry when there is a 2-4 player competition at QB. BTW, I don't think CNS and CLK will name a starter before the first game, just saying that would be my preference..

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

To have a clear cut leader and to get that player the most first team reps. It's hard to get your eventual starter enough reps with the 1st team to build chemistry when there is a 2-4 player competition at QB. BTW, I don't think CNS and CLK will name a starter before the first game, just saying that would be my preference..
I guess I am assuming that it's a close race. If it's close, I think having time for everyone to prove themselves and pick the best guy is more important than the reps. But, if one guy stands out in the crowd, they need to go ahead and get reps with the first team. I just don't see one guy standing out from the pack very early. I imagine it will be a lot of back and forth in the Spring.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

i agree that it would be nice if a QB was named before game 1.. it takes a while to get in sync for some. things such as timing on routes as well as timing on deep passes.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I know he was consider dual threat, but I also know what I saw in the spring and his limited pt this year. Perhaps with more time in the system and more reps he gets quicker, but his timing and throwing motion seemed too slow in my un-expert analysis. ;)
I'm not sure what you saw in the spring, but Jacob Coker was taking classes at FSU while Bama was doing spring practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

If it is Coker, that means in 2016 we'll have our fourth starting QB in four years.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

Well when your best o lineman is a true freshman and you don't have bruisers for running backs it's pretty hard to play smash mouth. Ingram, Richardson, and lacy were very physical and had very physical linemen. Henry and yeldon aren't going to take on huge linemen and linebacks they try to finesse around and hit the open field. I honestly think clk would love to have that kinda line and those kinda running backs to take the pressure of the qb, but presently we don't have them and we don't have a defense to keep video game offenses from lighting up the scoreboard so we need to play video game rules to keep us in the game. Til we have those key offensive personnel or a shut down defense don't expect us to go true smash mouth football.
Good post. I think we have some linemen for smash mouth football, but only Cam started. As far as Coker is concerned, I said last year there is a reason that he has never been a starter.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I'm not sure what you saw in the spring, but Jacob Coker was taking classes at FSU while Bama was doing spring practice.

Haha...I stand corrected...guess I was thinking about how the spring game left us all with a spinning head. I was thinking about the limited action we saw early in the season..

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

i agree that it would be nice if a QB was named before game 1.. it takes a while to get in sync for some. things such as timing on routes as well as timing on deep passes.
Long walk from the practice field to Bryant-Denny. If it's a close competition, you want see how they perform when the AFLAC duck is in the house.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I guess I am assuming that it's a close race. If it's close, I think having time for everyone to prove themselves and pick the best guy is more important than the reps. But, if one guy stands out in the crowd, they need to go ahead and get reps with the first team. I just don't see one guy standing out from the pack very early. I imagine it will be a lot of back and forth in the Spring.
I'm making the same assumption too, which perhaps is showing some of my bias toward Coker. Let's face it, BS didn't have a great spring last year and that was why most felt Coker would win the job last fall, despite being new to the program. Then we heard all of fall camp that Sims and Coker were "neck and neck" and then toward the end of fall camp going into the last scrimmage the word was it was Coker's job to lose but then he got the deer in the headlights during the last scrimmage and the rest is history. Not even CNS knew how much Sims would explode and how well he would eventually do as the season progressed.

That unfolding story of Coker's inability to stand out and do well last fall along with the Cornwell and Barnett becoming part of the picture is what makes me think the battle of qb may go deep into fall camp and maybe even the first few weeks of the 2015 season.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

I see Cornwell really pushing Coker in camp but in the end Coker getting the nod. Bateman will probably end up transferring. JMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.