Post Season - Pre Spring Practice "Who's Gonna Be the QB Next Year" Thread

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: Post Season - Pre Spring Practice "Who's Gonna Be the QB Next Year" Thread

After this seasons offensive success I'm not very concerned with the QB situation. Kiffin has been given a key to the offense. With the offseason ahead and a full season under his belt with Saban I see the two of them identifying and developing a starting QB sooner than later as well as the primary backup. I don't know who the starter will be but I expect Cornwell to be square in the mix. But I have to admit I'm one of those who thought Philip Simms would end up with the job over AJ. So.....
Don't feel bad about "guessing" wrong on AJ vs. PS. I guessed that one right, but, like most on this board, I guessed wrong on BS vs. JC.

We don't get to watch 'em practice and a recruiting video isn't much to go on in reality.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Coker is athletic in the sort of way where you feel comfortable about him in a bootleg passing game. Like the typical Mike Shanahan QB in the NFL. Could a few draws be called for him? Sure. Will he be capable of stealing a few yards off a bootleg where the pass is covered? Sure. He's not as much of an athlete as Sims though. The fact Sims legs weren't a huge component in the offense will keep it from being a big adjustment for everyone.

Sims' legs in impromptu circumstances played a pivotal role in the Mississippi State and Auburn games, and, without them, we would never have gotten to OT vs. LSU. Jake is faster than AJ, but I believe we all came to appreciate the added dimension of a running QB, for our team and others.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

[/B]

Sims' legs in impromptu circumstances played a pivotal role in the Mississippi State and Auburn games, and, without them, we would never have gotten to OT vs. LSU. Jake is faster than AJ, but I believe we all came to appreciate the added dimension of a running QB, for our team and others.
Yeah, Sims' ability to scramble was a key to winning this year but it wasn't a big component of what Kiffin did with the offense overall. Hopefully the tailbacks and everyone else on the OL step up and allow for something more adept to Coker's skillsets.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

According to Cornwell he will not be transferring. Of course things can always change..

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

According to Cornwell he will not be transferring. Of course things can always change..
Wow, I had been unaware that he had even been considering it.

Or that there had been any discussion of it...

Also, IIRC, he had injured his knee in his senior season coming out of high school...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Wow, I had been unaware that he had even been considering it.

Or that there had been any discussion of it...

Also, IIRC, he had injured his knee in his senior season coming out of high school...
I would expect at least one, maybe two QB transfers before the start of next season. Several QBs on our roster were highly recruited and don't want to ride the bench their whole career in hopes of maybe being the starter for one year. A couple of guys are career back ups and know it and will stick around for the ride..

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

I don't think Coker will be the starter next year. Bateman, Cornwell, and Morris have been in the system just as long as Coker and know the playbook so the position will be wide open. If Coke were head and shoulders above the rest, he would have started this year. I still believe there is a reason he has not been a starter, and time will tell. I think it will be a great competition and may the best man win.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN

I personally hope it's not Coker. I would like to see one of these kids who originally committed to UA and put their time in win the job. (Emphasis on win the job).

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I don't think Coker will be the starter next year. Bateman, Cornwell, and Morris have been in the system just as long as Coker and know the playbook so the position will be wide open. If Coke were head and shoulders above the rest, he would have started this year. I still believe there is a reason he has not been a starter, and time will tell. I think it will be a great competition and may the best man win.
There was virtually no way Coker could have been head and shoulders above BS6 considering BS6 had been in the program for 5 years and Coker had just arrived on campus. I'm fine with whoever ends up starting but I would be surprised if it's not Coker..

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ

Lean Back And Whack It [emoji14]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.