Post Season - Pre Spring Practice "Who's Gonna Be the QB Next Year" Thread

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Re: Post Season - Pre Spring Practice "Who's Gonna Be the QB Next Year" Thread

Bateman and Morris are career backup types in my opinion. Coker is the favorite, then I think Cornwell and Barnett. Barnett will also surely redshirt, but if he doesn't that bodes well for him.

So I'd say this:
Coker
Cornwell
Morris
Bateman
Barnett (RS)

Morris or Bateman will probably transfer in the coming months.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

Anyone else think Coker made huge strides during the season in limited action? I thought he looked really good from Florida on.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Anyone else think Coker made huge strides during the season in limited action? I thought he looked really good from Florida on.
I thought he made huge strides, but his "foot speed" bothers me a bit.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I thought he made huge strides, but his "foot speed" bothers me a bit.
I agree. If he can clean up his footwork a little bit and refine his release to make it quicker I think we should be good to go with Coker for next year. He has all the physical abilities and seemed to understand the offense enough to spread the ball around in his limited playing time. Coker didn't just lock on to one receiver- he seemed to be able to read the defense and make the appropriate throw..

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007

After the job he did with BS, methinks we will be very happy with whomever Coach Kiffin develops......

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

Morris may be the most important QB we have. He may not play much but he is like a coach on the sidelines.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Morris may be the most important QB we have. He may not play much but he is like a coach on the sidelines.
I think that is likely where his career is headed. I doubt he transfers. I think he stays and eventually becomes a grad assistant coach somewhere.

Bob Minton

1st Team
Dec 4, 2011

As a Cleveland Browns fan (hate to admit that publicly) I've seen how they do things the wrong way year after year. It usually involves a QB competition which keeps the eventual starter from getting the most possible reps. I'd love to see Bama come out of spring with a clear cut starter to maximize those reps. I think it will be Coker. He's now had a year as primary back up, got some good reps and as was pointed out I thought he got better over time. It's a style change though as he may not run for a first down in his life!!!!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

As a Cleveland Browns fan (hate to admit that publicly) I've seen how they do things the wrong way year after year. It usually involves a QB competition which keeps the eventual starter from getting the most possible reps. I'd love to see Bama come out of spring with a clear cut starter to maximize those reps. I think it will be Coker. He's now had a year as primary back up, got some good reps and as was pointed out I thought he got better over time. It's a style change though as he may not run for a first down in his life!!!!
You may be right about Coker and about him not running for a first down...but one of the changes in college football in the last few years is having to defend the qb in the run game. It changes everything when a qb is a run threat.

I now it's been pointed out that Coker is supposed to be dual threat, but he's looked pretty slow in all phases in what little pt we've seen.

Again, we'll see.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Coker will be the QB. He could have been a decent option this year. Sims was the best option clearly.

Edit: Coker's running ability is similar to Jeff Driskel. He seems like a guy fast enough to get a few yards on bootlegs but would be mostly effective on straight line plunges when not expected.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Coker will be the QB. He could have been a decent option this year. Sims was the best option clearly.

Edit: Coker's running ability is similar to Jeff Driskel. He seems like a guy fast enough to get a few yards on bootlegs but would be mostly effective on straight line plunges when not expected.

RGW, without any official 40 times to compare, Driskel looks much faster than Jake. That's an opinion based on the eye test only, however.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

Unquestionably...

I have a good feeling about the lad come next year...

He has something to prove...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

RGW, without any official 40 times to compare, Driskel looks much faster than Jake. That's an opinion based on the eye test only, however.
From what I could find, Coker runs a 4.75 40 and Driskel runs a 4.50 40. I think Coker is fast/athletic enough to do some straight line runs..

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Coker is athletic in the sort of way where you feel comfortable about him in a bootleg passing game. Like the typical Mike Shanahan QB in the NFL. Could a few draws be called for him? Sure. Will he be capable of stealing a few yards off a bootleg where the pass is covered? Sure. He's not as much of an athlete as Sims though. The fact Sims legs weren't a huge component in the offense will keep it from being a big adjustment for everyone.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

After this seasons offensive success I'm not very concerned with the QB situation. Kiffin has been given a key to the offense. With the offseason ahead and a full season under his belt with Saban I see the two of them identifying and developing a starting QB sooner than later as well as the primary backup. I don't know who the starter will be but I expect Cornwell to be square in the mix. But I have to admit I'm one of those who thought Philip Simms would end up with the job over AJ. So.....

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

I think we are going to miss Blake sims' ability to avoid the rush.

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)

My two cents, I think Coker will win the starting job with Cornwell a close second. After watching Barnett yesterday in the UAAA game I think a redshirt year will do him good,(he could use a little meat on his bones). The next year will be interesting though.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I think we are going to miss Blake sims' ability to avoid the rush.
everyone will probably get more sacks next year, but maybe our Oline will be awesome and not allow sacks and give the QB (?????) lots of time to throw.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Well I don't think we need Coker to be mobile up and down the field like Blake was, but I think we could be in good shape if he is mobile in the way that Ben roethlisberger is where he is a side to side play extender with a very strong arm. I feel we will be ok on offense, but this is coming before spring training and fall practices

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.