Check out the recruiting board for a little pick me up!

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
I saw Barnett was here because he was saying first night in Ttown and is a tornado watch.just wondering about others.Thanks guys and Roll Tide!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think you pretty much answered your own question. Phillip Sims was a 5 star that totally busted and Cooper Bateman was also a 5 star, and 3 years into his career here, he's the 4th string QB behind a supposed career backup (also from the 2010 class), a JUCO transfer, and a 3 star prospect.

To say that our QB recruiting hasn't exactly panned out in the last several years is a fair assessment. I agree with him in saying I hope Barnett is as advertised.
Like I said, Phillip Sims was a part of the biggest bust of a QB class in recent history. Look at this stat from Bruce Feldman's book The QB.

Those numbers indicate the entire class was bad, not just PS. Remember, a guy's recruiting ranking only reflects that particular class. Just because a guy was ranked #2 pro-style QB doesn't mean he was really that great if his competition isn't great. That appears to be the case with PS.

All spring and fall, we got reports out of camp that Cooper passed Morris for the #3 job. Then, Morris gets the third string game reps. I have to wonder if Morris was the third string QB in case of emergency due to his seniority/experience, but Cooper would have started a game over Morris if Blake and Jake were injured.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I think you pretty much answered your own question. Phillip Sims was a 5 star that totally busted and Cooper Bateman was also a 5 star, and 3 years into his career here, he's the 4th string QB behind a supposed career backup (also from the 2010 class), a JUCO transfer, and a 3 star prospect.

To say that our QB recruiting hasn't exactly panned out in the last several years is a fair assessment. I agree with him in saying I hope Barnett is as advertised.
Point of clarification... I'll go back and check, but I don't recall PS or CB being 5-star QBs.

{EDIT}

Phillip Sims - Rivals 4-star, ESPN 4-star, 24/7 5-star, Scout 5-star
Cooper Bateman - Rivals 4-star, ESPN 4-star, 24/7 4-star, Scout 4-star

I stand corrected. Phillip Sims was a 5-star recruit in two of the major services. Bateman wasn't a 5-star in any of them, however.

Last edited:

CrimsonCousin

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 2, 2007
Blue Ridge Georgia
I just hope Barnett is the real deal, for all the great recruiting we've had, none of the QBs have turned out to be elite type passers and play makers.
With the college landscape right now, we might have to put 45 points up in the playoffs to beat a well oiled spread team.
Not to worry - Barnett is going to be all that has been advertised and more. I cannot express how anxious I am to have him on the field, taking snaps and making plays. The addition of Blake at QB should have Coach Kiffin even more anxious than I. Roll Tide!

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Deionte Thompson, Brandon Kennedy, BLake Barnett, and Dallas Warmack after they moved into their dorm...

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN
Huge pickup today 5* RB Damien Harris..A big thanks to the Bama commits who played in the Under Amour AS game as I think they helped sway this pickup! RTR

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Huge pickup today 5* RB Damien Harris..A big thanks to the Bama commits who played in the Under Amour AS game as I think they helped sway this pickup! RTR
No way to know and not for nothing, but I would wager without them he plays for KY.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
No way to know and not for nothing, but I would wager without them he plays for KY.
Our other recruits played a big role at the UA game and helped the situation, but he said he made his decision at the Iron Bowl. He was talking with Blake Barnett almost daily since the IB. The way he celebrated with other Bama commits and took pics with the other commits the week of the UA game, I think it was already a done deal. The best thing about it is that his mom was ecstatic about him committing to Bama. That's a big plus!

B

BroadwayJoe777

I was under the assumption that the 2014 class was the best class of all time listening to the talking heads.
How do you guys/gals compare 2014 to 2015?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.