Check out the recruiting board for a little pick me up!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Who are possible early enrollees?
Blake Barnett
Desherrius Flowers
Calvin Ridley
Ronnie Harrison
Deionte Thompson

If he's cleared by UA, Jonathan Taylor will be on campus next week.

Those aren't the only early enrollees. Just the ones I can remember.

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
Blake Barnett
Desherrius Flowers
Calvin Ridley
Ronnie Harrison
Deionte Thompson

If he's cleared by UA, Jonathan Taylor will be on campus next week.

Those aren't the only early enrollees. Just the ones I can remember.
I'm glad Barnett will be there to compete in spring practice. I doubt that he will be the starter next season, but at least he will be more familiar with the system than he would be if he came in the fall.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I truly think that Coker is the QB next season but Barnett showing up early is a huge help for the 2016 QB battle.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Wow some great pickups here. With how CNS has this program running, we will be in the mix for championships every year based on talent alone. It's great to be a Bama fan..

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
I figure that Coker will be the starter, but in my opinion it would be better for the future of the team if one of the other QB's that will be here longer than one more season to be the starter next year. But, the best player should get it and if that ends up being Coker then that is great and it will just be another QB battle in 2016 and a someone should get it that will at least start for a couple of seasons.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We're not in the position to be developing for a future season. Too much talent...gotta put the absolute "best chance to win" product out there every year. If we were using that mindset then Coker would've started this season and likely would have never won the SEC or had a shot at a national title.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
With the commit of 5* CB Kendall Sheffield today..On BamaOnline & 247 recruiting web site, that gives us two 5* CB commits & one 4* in this recruiting class..I've thought the last few years 247 Sports has been the better & Top recruiting service out of the bunch..In other words..When 5*'s Kendall Sheffield, Minkah Fitzpatrick & four star Rico McGraw gets on campus after high school, this group could be as good of a DB's class we've had so far & could end up being as good of a DB class in the history of college football, should we add another or two Blue Chip DB's in this class..And that's not including 5* "S" Deionte Thompson & 4* "S" Ronnie Harrison into the mix as well..Plus..Don't leave out 3* CB Montrell Custis, who I've read is a really good DB as well..

This Recruiting Class is amazing..And could end up being as good as any class we've had so far & one of the best ever when it's all said & done..This class will bring in some really good secondary player's in this class & they will compliment Tony Brown & Marlon Humprey in our DB rotation & depth..The rich gets richer..I hate to tell the rest of college football..Bama is bringing in as good a recruiting class we've had under Coach Saban & that means Bama will still be in the NC talk for the foreseeable future..That talent is there..It's up to our coaches to coach up that talent & our Boys simply putting in the effort to remain among the best of the best..The pieces of the puzzle is in place for us to stay in the NC hunt as much as it may tick off the rest of college football..

Last edited:

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
I just hope Barnett is the real deal, for all the great recruiting we've had, none of the QBs have turned out to be elite type passers and play makers.
With the college landscape right now, we might have to put 45 points up in the playoffs to beat a well oiled spread team.

The secondary should be much improved once all these young guys get up to speed.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I just hope Barnett is the real deal, for all the great recruiting we've had, none of the QBs have turned out to be elite type passers and play makers.
With the college landscape right now, we might have to put 45 points up in the playoffs to beat a well oiled spread team.

The secondary should be much improved once all these young guys get up to speed.
Please tell me what QB hasn't turned out to be "elite" passer or play maker.

AJ lived up to this recruiting hype, no?

Phillip Sims was in the 2010 class, which was an overall dud.

Phillip Ely had no hype or expectation coming out of high school, neither did Alec Morris or Parker McLeod.

Cooper Bateman will be a redshirt sophomore next year, and David Cornwell will be a redshirt freshman. Those are the most highly touted guys since the horrendous 2010 class that produced Phillip Sims.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Phillip Ely had no hype or expectation coming out of high school, neither did Alec Morris or Parker McLeod.

Cooper Bateman will be a redshirt sophomore next year, and David Cornwell will be a redshirt freshman. Those are the most highly touted guys since the horrendous 2010 class that produced Phillip Sims.
I think you pretty much answered your own question. Phillip Sims was a 5 star that totally busted and Cooper Bateman was also a 5 star, and 3 years into his career here, he's the 4th string QB behind a supposed career backup (also from the 2010 class), a JUCO transfer, and a 3 star prospect.

To say that our QB recruiting hasn't exactly panned out in the last several years is a fair assessment. I agree with him in saying I hope Barnett is as advertised.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011

Im just saying, wouldn't it be great to have a top 10 NFL draft pick type QB to round everything out?
It would take everything to a new level.

I loved AJ, he had great success, but a guy like Barnett has the upside to be better than him.
Barnett is a top 10 national recruit, unless im forgetting somebody, Saban has never brought in a QB with this kind of billing since he's been at Bama, so i hope he's the real deal.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Two years ago people said we needed to shore up the DL -- well, that is now the strength of the D
Now, people are wanting an improved secondary -- looking at LY and TY's recruiting -- we are going at it hard....

Signs point to a much better Defense.....

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
any word on early enrollees and are they in campus? RTR
Blake Barnett, I think is here (or will be here).

Issues with some paperwork with Calvin Ridley. So he may or may not be able to enroll early (which would have been invaluable for him. Like Coop & Chris Black coming in early and getting a jump on their classmates).

Not sure about others. Will check and get back on it when I get the info

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.