Question: Spread offenses vs. defensive sets?

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
It's no secret that we have more issues with the spread offense than any other scheme. Saban has been a 3-4 guy, but now it looks like he uses more 4-3 sets. I am not a scheme expert, so please bear with me. Coach Kines 3-3-5 work great against the spread. Is there a reason we don't use that scheme? Don't read into my question that I want us to use it. Not suggesting it at all. Just want a comparisons/differences discussion.

Currently, if I understand correctly, we have moved away from the 3-4 to a 4-3. I assume that is to help anchor the corners since the spread is designed to beat you outside when it can. Also, we are emphasizing more speed by using smaller linebackers. Is this all true? Any other reasons for the switch? I really want to understand the advantages and disadvantages between these two.

Also, it seems like the 3-4 would have faster personnel on the field which would seem to be better against the spread. However, when Stanford was able to beat Oregon they used a 4-3. So, how did they make it work?

Both the 3-4 and 4-3 are designed to keep the offense in the middle of the field. The 3-3-5 defense that Kines used does just the opposite. It wants the offense to go outside, thus using the sidelines like 2 additional defensive players. This is to counter the spread's outside attack. Is this correct?

Lots of questions, because I am curious. Thanks for any inputs.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Not sure if this exactly answers your question, but I think the problem we are going to have now is stopping the run vs pro set, or physical, teams. AU and LSU have run the ball on us at will the past few years and OSU did last night as well. OSU didn't do very much HUNH, if any, at all. They were just whipping us at the LOS. I'm a believer you build your team from the inside out so whatever our "scheme" is going to be, IMO we need to start with getting back to controlling the LOS, on offense and defense. We are starting to trend towards being a finesse team and I don't think that breeds long term success..

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
HUNH creates problems of its own, but is not necessarily a spread offense. We used HUNH at times and we aren't spread. But yeah, stopping the run would be nice.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Kines ran a 3-3-5. Joe Lee Dunn ran a 3-5-3.

We have run a lot of 4-2-5 this year; our nose tackles (for a 3-4 defense) have not gotten a lot of playing time. I think running a 4 man front rather than a 3 man front is to get pressure (although the Jack - 4th down lineman - drops into coverage depending on alignments).

What I've seen of Stanford, they run a 3-3 stack defense (basically a 3-3-5).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.