Kobe rips AAU! European players are more skilled!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Yep! My thoughts also!

ESPN:

Kobe: Europe's players more skillful

"AAU basketball," Bryant said. "Horrible, terrible AAU basketball. It's stupid. It doesn't teach our kids how to play the game at all so you wind up having players that are big and they bring it up and they do all this fancy crap and they don't know how to post. They don't know the fundamentals of the game. It's stupid."

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Totally agree. When my 7th grade son decided to concentrate on bball, we found him a team that focused on fundamentals, not just winning, and got him some training to work on his skills. He may be tall now, but my entire family is 6'3" or less so he will play post now but his friends will eventually catch up. He's learning post moves now but also learning ball handling skills as well. Too many coaches concentrate on wins, sticking big kids underneath, and end up hurting their players development. I've seen quite a few teams that run zone, pressure, and trap defenses and the players never learn how to properly defend or a big kid that doesn't know squat about handling the ball. Very sad.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Thing is many teams at that age run a "Zone D" to win and they don't teach how to defend M2M. So winning gets in the way of learning.

Totally agree. When my 7th grade son decided to concentrate on bball, we found him a team that focused on fundamentals, not just winning, and got him some training to work on his skills. He may be tall now, but my entire family is 6'3" or less so he will play post now but his friends will eventually catch up. He's learning post moves now but also learning ball handling skills as well. Too many coaches concentrate on wins, sticking big kids underneath, and end up hurting their players development. I've seen quite a few teams that run zone, pressure, and trap defenses and the players never learn how to properly defend or a big kid that doesn't know squat about handling the ball. Very sad.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Thing is many teams at that age run a "Zone D" to win and they don't teach how to defend M2M. So winning gets in the way of learning.
Yup. Both the middle school team and the select team my son is on run m2m as their primary offense to help teach the individual players defensive skills. They get beat a lot, but the players (and the high school team) will benefit in the long run.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
I can't place the blame solely at the the feet of AAU. Kids aren't being taught fundamentals. I mentor kids so I'm always around youth programs. When I see how young kids are being coached I shake my head. I see some of the same things at the middle school and at some high schools. One things that really annoys me is when a kid shoots a jumper and throws his hands down. It looks cool, but does nothing for your follow through. I love basketball. I can rant about the lack of fundamentals for hours.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
you mean you have seen coaches teaching that? OMG..lol
I can't place the blame solely at the the feet of AAU. Kids aren't being taught fundamentals. I mentor kids so I'm always around youth programs. When I see how young kids are being coached I shake my head. I see some of the same things at the middle school and at some high schools. One things that really annoys me is when a kid shoots a jumper and throws his hands down. It looks cool, but does nothing for your follow through. I love basketball. I can rant about the lack of fundamentals for hours.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.