2015 Will Bring even more question marks than 2014

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Which two plays? I'm thinking of the interception thrown by Sims after the OSU punt left Bama on the OSU 25 but I couldn't tell if Howard even had a chance to make a play on it.
1. Sims threw into coverage late against Ole Miss, but that was a perfectly thown ball that OJ didn't fight to catch, allowing a DB almost a foot shorter to take it away.

2. The pass against TOSU was clearly underthrown, but OJ again didn't help his quarterback out at all.

The physicality necessary to become a big-time pass-catcher doesn't seem to come naturally to him.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

He's talking about OJ, so the two plays would be the Ole Miss INT and the Ohio State INT.
I remembered the Ole Miss play but forgot that it could have left Bama undefeated. I'm still wondering if he had a chance to make a play in the OSU game. It didn't look like it to me at the time but I didn't watch a replay. Seems like the ball was thrown very quickly right to the defender while Howard was moving across behind him. Also, there was plenty of game left with the OSU interception.

ETA: saw this link in the Blog Sticky about Sim's INT: http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/qb101-blake-sims-pick-sugar-bowl-loss/

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Good point.
I see a bunch of inexperienced players. I recall in 2011 or 2012 Nick Perry talking about the defensive scheme and how a DB can only really learn it by being on the field. Going with the words of a 4 year player at S, I see at least 6 guys listed above that will have struggles.

Want to mention Washington as a player to take over safety? He made more bad plays than Nick Perry or Jarrick Williams did when they were first playing in 2011 and 2012. He will have to drastically improve to be a solid contributor at safety.

You're right. This has been addressed. But for some reason, our DBs still get beat even with their current technique.

He's talking about OJ, so the two plays would be the Ole Miss INT and the Ohio State INT.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think that's what makes our offense so dangerous is that we probabyl don't need featured guys... all can play and catch ball. We want the team to worry about covering our best five receivers on the field, and they cant afford to play us in coverage because we'll get them.
The thing that has me excited about this is this: When Jake Coker got some snaps when he was actually able to run the offense and throw, he was mostly throwing to the list of guys you see above. After a year in the playbook going into this coming year, that will become very beneficial, as Coker spread it around to many guys. We designed a lot of this year's offense around Coop, but with him leaving, this will create more of a balanced passing attack, IMO, assuming Kiffin stays.

Assuming Yeldon leaves, our backfield will be interesting (in a good way, I think), if Henry is the lead horse. Wonder how the rotation will shake out. Really like Tyren Jones. The guy runs hard.

On defense, I really think there needs to be a philosophy shift. I obviously believe in the coaches, and like Sip was saying, I just think there needs to be some simplification and let players make plays. Also hoping someone will emerge out of the potential superstars at CB opposite Cyrus Jones.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I think that's what makes our offense so dangerous is that we probabyl don't need featured guys... all can play and catch ball. We want the team to worry about covering our best five receivers on the field, and they cant afford to play us in coverage because we'll get them.
Yep. If you lessen the "keys" the other team has to worry about, and they shout the primaries down, you're toast.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My point is that sometimes, if a system or coverage scheme is a bit too complicated, then players start thinking rather than reacting and playing fast. That'll get you beat.
Yeah I agree. I remember Seeing Javier Arenas at an autograph signing after the bcsncg and someone asked him " how is our defense going to be in 2010". To which he said " they are going to be a highly talented group but I'm concerned that the most talented players won't play .because CNS won't let you see the field if you don't know his defense, and his defense is very complicated."

That made me remember that when Hightower went down in 09 it was Cory reamer who took over and not some of our most talented recruits. It also seemed reamer was rarely out of running the right scheme and it was more of him getting burned or trucked. But he actually knew the defense.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
1. Sims threw into coverage late against Ole Miss, but that was a perfectly thown ball that OJ didn't fight to catch, allowing a DB almost a foot shorter to take it away.

2. The pass against TOSU was clearly underthrown, but OJ again didn't help his quarterback out at all.

The physicality necessary to become a big-time pass-catcher doesn't seem to come naturally to him.
Did he really? That's not a rhetorical question. I haven't had the stomach to go back and look (may never). My impression was that the ball was thrown so low and OJ was so far (would have been and easy TD) behind, he didn't really have a play on it, except by maybe coming through the DB. I thought Blake thought the throw so easy, he just babied it too much...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Did he really? That's not a rhetorical question. I haven't had the stomach to go back and look (may never). My impression was that the ball was thrown so low and OJ was so far (would have been and easy TD) behind, he didn't really have a play on it, except by maybe coming through the DB. I thought Blake thought the throw so easy, he just babied it too much...
what's even worse, is the sds link provided about that play shows deandrew wide open at the one on that play

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He made the same mistake that he made against Ole Miss - he was waiting for the ball to come to him. He did not adjust his route or move toward the ball or the defender at all. That does not make it his fault, but he clearly did not help Sims on that play.

Howard seems to lock in on the ball and he doesn't see or feel defenders around him. He also makes no attempt to high point balls.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
what's even worse, is the sds link provided about that play shows deandrew wide open at the one on that play

Missed opportunities like that occurred often this year. Blake had a tendency to lock in on 1 guy or 1 section of the field. I'm anxious to see how Coker handles this.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
That was the game winner that wasn't...

As much as we've criticized not running the ball in that situation, it was a fantastic play that simply wasn't executed properly.
I think this play demonstrated the QB's major weakness.

ETA: submitted before seeing derek4tide post above; didn't mean to repeat something already noted...

Last edited:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
He just needed to put a little more air under the ball and put it more towards the back of the end zone. At least it wouldn't have been intercepted. Rolling to his right made finding the other receiver a little more difficult. JMHO.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not to sound like a broken record, but that little trick play to OJH would have worked just as well on 2nd and 2 after running a sweep to DH behind JF on 1st and 10.

If the sweep produced the result it produced earlier in the game, DH would have scored and we'd been up 35-34 and probably won the game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

As the play developed, I saw one of the skill guys sneak out the backside, so I figured the play was the McElroy to Colin Peak play from the 2009 SECCG.

The play comes down to this -

1. OJ went too high on the route.

OR

2.. Blake made a bad pass. (Travis Reier said the pass was late and behind OJ)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
42 points to OSU and 44 to AU.
yep and over 1000 yards as well. Next year one of two things needs to happen either A. our offense doesnt miss a beat and plays high caliber football or B. our defense finally figures out how to play the ball when its in the air. If both happen then I see us playing 15 games, and if one happens then I see us atleast playing 14.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.