How would Bama have fared against the Ducks?

JAXFLBAMAFAN

All-SEC
Nov 30, 1999
Jacksonville FL
I don't think we would have fared to well agains the Ducks. I think OSU has a better chance of playing with them than we would have had. CUM has a better chance of coaching defense against a HUNH that we we showed against them.

It looks like in my have to get a track meet and outscore them in order to beat them.

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Re: How would Bama have fared agains the Ducks?

I would have been worried. Something I hadn't ever been going into a championship game.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I love the 2014 Alabama Crimson Tide football team; they won me over with their love of the game, their camaraderie, their heart...

But I don't think they'd stay within 20 points of Oregon right now - Oregon's passing game (and MM running the ball) would eat them alive.

It sucks, but sometimes we're just not the best team, even when we're really, really good. And as much as I dislike Oregon's basketball-on-grass offense, they'd probably boat-race Bama this year.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

Had we played against OSU like we played against Mississippi State, Auburn and Missouri, we would have killed them and gone into the Championship on a HUGE high. I do not think we would have lost. This just wasn't our year!! I think OSU will go into the NCG thinking they have it in the bag and Oregon will wipe the floor with them.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I think we would have beaten Oregon. I think Ohio State will take them out easier than most think.
If you can set a Sugar Bowl individual rushing record against a Saban/Smart led defense, you're probably too physical for an Oregon.
sip

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

My knock and criticism on Oregon has always been lack of physicality, but I believe they have corrected that this year. I'm afraid that our defense would have really struggled to stop them. As much as we struggled against MSU, AU, and OSU, I have believe that Oregon would have given us fits.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

I don't even want to think about it...

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Had we played against OSU like we played against Mississippi State, Auburn and Missouri, we would have killed them and gone into the Championship on a HUGE high. I do not think we would have lost.
I'm not so sure about that. MIZZ is ranked 95th on total offense, so that wasn't a big challenge for our defense, but we gave up 428 yards to MSU, 630 to AU, and 537 to OSU. The biggest difference is that OSU is ranked 17th total defense, AU is ranked 64th and MSU is ranked 85th.

We gave up 1990 yards and 128 points (497.5 YPG and 32 PPG) to four top 25 offenses we faced this year (WVU, MSU, AU and OSU). Luckily for us, OSU is the only one that had a top 25 defense.

That is a hard fact to swallow, but it is a fact...

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

An injured Landon Collins plus an injured Reggie Ragland plus an injured Dillon Lee equals a very, very vulnerable defense for Oregon.

It would have been bad.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

It would have been ugly...not ugly enough that I'd rather lost the Sugar Bowl, but ugly nonetheless.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Something to consider is that the defense would've been different with a known rushing quarterback. We really got hurt with the quarterback scramble because it was unexpected.

That being said, they would've allowed the tempo to dominate us. It was time for the SEC run to end anyway. These rule changes have been neutralizing the size and physicality advantage we've had any way.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Yup..I was hoping that we got Oregon in the 1st play-off game, I honestly thought we would've beat them, my heart sank when I saw we got The Buckeye's in the 1st play-off game..Cause they like Oklahoma(last years play-off game) kept hearing they didn't belong in the play-off & had that proverbial "Chip On Their Shoulder" to prove they did belong..Plus..They were the more physical match-up & were actually more physical than us in the game..Just had everything going in their favor against us & to their credit they seized on all the factors in their favor to beat us..

I think we would have beaten Oregon. I think Ohio State will take them out easier than most think.
If you can set a Sugar Bowl individual rushing record against a Saban/Smart led defense, you're probably too physical for an Oregon.
sip

Last edited:

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY

I am an optimist, but also a realist. Like a previous poster, I never really thought we were the best team in the nation. A good team, sure. One of the top four, probably. But, Oregon seems to be a different sort of beast this year. I think we could have and would have ran the ball on them. However, our defense would have struggled. We were never really able to set the edge on the Buckeyes, so setting it on the Ducks would have been all the more difficult. In short, it would have been a game that we could have won with some turnovers, but could have lost by three or more scores if they were clicking. Realistically, I think Oregon had the better team this year.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

It'll be easier to answer this question after the 12th. I'm not writing tOSU off. I can't get a feel for how these two teams match up against each other but if tOSU manhandles Oregon, my guess is Bama would have too.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004

I too think the ducks would have beat us. If the rules stay the same they are going to be very tough to beat. I like how the get it done with "average" talent.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

I have to believe that whoever ended up against Oregon this year would be hitting a buzz saw followed by a tree limb chipper. I think OSU will fare about like we would have.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.