Cowboys vs. Lions Wildcard Game - Pass Interference or Not?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I admit it. I'm a Cowboys fan. Nevertheless, I do agree that this was not pass interference. Good call reversal in my opinion. If the officials had huddled first, this probably wouldn't be controversial like it's been.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...l-dallas-cowboys-detroit-lions-wild-card-game

"The back judge threw his flag for defensive pass interference," Morelli said in a pool report. "We got other information from another official from a different angle that thought the contact was minimal and didn't warrant pass interference. He thought it was face guarding."

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You you can see that the defender's helmet is pulled down covering his eyes:

You're allowed to touch the facemask you just can't twist it. Even if you want to say that should have been a penalty, then it would have been offsetting penalties. You don't throw a flag for PI, announce the penalty, then just say never mind..

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
You're allowed to touch the facemask you just can't twist it. Even if you want to say that should have been a penalty, then it would have been offsetting penalties. You don't throw a flag for PI, announce the penalty, then just say never mind..
Well, you do throw a flag, announce the penalty, and then say never mind when the officials fail to huddle up beforehand. Flags get picked up all the time...it seems unusual in this case simply because a penalty was announced before it was confirmed among the officials who saw the play.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Well, you do throw a flag, announce the penalty, and then say never mind when the officials fail to huddle up beforehand. Flags get picked up all the time...it seems unusual in this case simply because a penalty was announced before it was confirmed among the officials who saw the play.
I get it. You're a cowboys fan. If the call was the other way around you would have started a thread stating how in the world can you throw a flag and then pick it up. Also, you never gave a rebuttal to the CLEAR AS DAY handful of jersey that the cowboys defender has a hold of. And the defender is also making contact before the ball arrives..

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I get it. You're a cowboys fan. If the call was the other way around you would have started a thread stating how in the world can you throw a flag and then pick it up. Also, you never gave a rebuttal to the CLEAR AS DAY handful of jersey that the cowboys defender has a hold of. And the defender is also making contact before the ball arrives..
I can't pass judgment on defensive holding based on a still shot. Would need to see the whole play again including the position of the quarterback. If I recall correctly, this occurred near the line of scrimmage, and I don't recall the receiver's progress being impeded. But again, I'd need to see the live-action play, and the clips I've been able to find do not show this part of the play.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I can't pass judgment on defensive holding based on a still shot. Would need to see the whole play again including the position of the quarterback. If I recall correctly, this occurred near the line of scrimmage, and I don't recall the receiver's progress being impeded. But again, I'd need to see the live-action play, and the clips I've been able to find do not show this part of the play.
Does this clear it up for you?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The head of officials says it was holding:

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...-missed-vs-dallas-cowboys-lb-anthony-hitchens

Blandino said that when he reviewed the play it appears as a "judgment call that could have gone either way." But he saw a clear "jersey grab" by Hitchens that should have resulted in a defensive holding call that "should have been called."
Regarding pass interference, here are more of his thoughts:

Blandino, speaking on NBC Sports Radio's "Pro Football Talk Live," said the officiating crew made an error by announcing a penalty and then picking up the flag. Ideally, he said, the crew would have discussed the play and then made an announcement that there was no penalty on the play. If the crew had handled the situation in this manner, "it would have mitigated some of the response to this," he said.
Regarding unsportsmanlike conduct for Dez Bryant being on the field without a helmet:

Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant came onto the field without his helmet to argue the initial pass-interference call Sunday, an act that had many wondering why he wasn't flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. But Blandino said that Bryant's actions weren't an automatic penalty as the rule against players taking their helmets off on the field only applies to players in the game at that time.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Does this clear it up for you?
It does, but it is ultimately irrelevant to the flag that was thrown and picked up. Officials don't see every potential penalty on a play -- they miss potential penalties all the time.

Ultimately, the Lions had at least two more shots at winning the game: (1) they could've simply stopped the Cowboys offense, and (2) they could've scored on their last drive of the game.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The head of officials says it was holding:

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...-missed-vs-dallas-cowboys-lb-anthony-hitchens

Regarding pass interference, here are more of his thoughts:

Regarding unsportsmanlike conduct for Dez Bryant being on the field without a helmet:
Yea I saw that and posted right before you. It was still a terrible missed call. Like I said originally if it wasn't PI it was definitely defensive holding. Holding would have been an automatic first down. Blown call either way..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.