Braxton Miller and Alabama have "mutual interest"

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
The above makes sense honestly ... gives them time to develop the freshman QB they have as well. The only issue is ... its still LSU's offense but he would be an instant upgrade for them.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
So, I guess you could say that Braxton Miller is a free agent?

There are a lot of people who bemoan the "game not being what it used to be" because the changes in offensive schemes. But this idea of players jumping from team to team with no allegiance to anyone but themselves and how it will help their chance of getting to the NFL is, IMHO, much more of an indication that the "game is not what it used to be."

They might as well go ahead and formalize a draft period immediately following the end of each season. This isn't college football. This is semi-pro football.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
AlabamaIntel has a piece up about the whole deal. Drew says Miller won't announce his intentions until after the championship game. Since January 14 is the last day for students to register and/or add classes, he'll have to make a quick decision if he wants to come to Bama.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So, I guess you could say that Braxton Miller is a free agent?

There are a lot of people who bemoan the "game not being what it used to be" because the changes in offensive schemes. But this idea of players jumping from team to team with no allegiance to anyone but themselves and how it will help their chance of getting to the NFL is, IMHO, much more of an indication that the "game is not what it used to be."

They might as well go ahead and formalize a draft period immediately following the end of each season. This isn't college football. This is semi-pro football.
Actually, this is exactly what some folks want - to allow players the ability to transfer without sitting out a year since coaches can change jobs without sitting out a year.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I've went back and forth on this Braxton Miller thing, but at the end of the day, he has shown more and accomplished more at this level than anybody on our roster by a mile. I keep seeing people say that he's not a good passer, but I also saw Blake Sims who frankly looked like a terrible passer at the A Day game, break almost every school record under Kiffin. With that in mind, I can't lie that I'd be excited about getting him. If he's the best option to be the bridge until Cornwell or Barnett takes over, so be it.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
A poster on another site who has a direct tie to a coach says that Miller met with Cain for the purpose of what amounts to a pre-clearance evaluation of his health for other schools who might be interested.

That's about all I can add to Drew's original post that I retweeted. I don't have any direct information relating to Miller and UA myself.
In that, I read it as he's not coming to Bama, but using a Bama doc because he's considered one of the best in the business.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Just for an idea of how soon Miller has to make a decision based on the schools he's rumored to like and each school's academic calendar:

Alabama - January 14 is last day to register/add classes
Florida State - January 12 is last day to adjust schedule
Oregon - January 14 is last day to register/add classes
LSU - January 26 is last day to register/add classes

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Championship game is on 12th, so I would expect him to decide this week, but won't announce until after the game... but if I were him, I would just go ahead and enroll and show up on campus...
Just for an idea of how soon Miller has to make a decision based on the schools he's rumored to like and each school's academic calendar:

Alabama - January 14 is last day to register/add classes
Florida State - January 12 is last day to adjust schedule
Oregon - January 14 is last day to register/add classes
LSU - January 26 is last day to register/add classes

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I"m going to put this on here. After reading everything... This is how I think it will go down:

FSU is his top choice if Winston leaves. now, if Winston decided to stay another season, HE won't be coming to FSU.
Oregon- Miller might be intriqued and Probably will pick this one.
LSU- Might be his second/third choice, but if Golson commits to LSU before Miller does, and I think it could happen, Miller won't come to LSU.
I see Duke as a possiblity but it really depends on how it'll go down. I'm convinced It's between FSU and Oregon. I don't think Alabama is in play at all... mostly because of our depth at QB... but We could be the wild card, if we lose Bateman and Morris to transfer...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I definitely agree. Now, If Miller comes to Alabama but lose out to Coker in a battle, It wouldn't really hurt his NFL Chance, because He has plenty of game tapes and He could use a year refining his skillset, getting better... That's only if Miller understand that coming into the camp....
The only reason I see BM potentially coming to Bama (assuming there really is mutual interest) is to play for Kiffin.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I definitely agree. Now, If Miller comes to Alabama but lose out to Coker in a battle, It wouldn't really hurt his NFL Chance, because He has plenty of game tapes and He could use a year refining his skillset, getting better... That's only if Miller understand that coming into the camp....
Plus you can use him out wide, in the slot, at tailback or in a wildcat scenario -- he gives us TONS of options

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
ok... so there are people seriously disappointed that heisman contender would come in and potentially battle against a guy who's never started a meaningful football game in his life? He wasn't a big time recruit... he didnt put up great stats in high school by any stretch of the imagination... and none of us have EVER seen him play meaningful football. Braxton miller has an undefeated season and more touchdowns in 1 season in the Big Ten (2013.. 36 total TD's) than Coker has in his life(16 as a senior in high school and 5 in college). All the articles and speculation in the world cant overcome the fact that Coker hasnt proven anything in an actual football game. Bring on the competition until someone takes the reigns!!!
Thank you Braxton Millers's dad for participating in this thread!!! :wink:

Nah, seriously, you make an excellent point.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Plus you can use him out wide, in the slot, at tailback or in a wildcat scenario -- he gives us TONS of options
I've read several anonymous NFL scouts suggest he has an NFL career in the league, but it won't be at QB. His best move might be to stay at OSU and move to another position.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.