Braxton Miller and Alabama have "mutual interest"

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
I'm no Lane Kiffin apologist but I would like an explanation as to why he gets bashed for the loss and nary a word about Kirby Smart's defense on this thread. I'm fair in my analysis and there's plenty of "blame" to go around. I even have some contentions with Kiffin's play calling but this junk about holding our tongue until after the Sugar Bowl and "we were right" is laughably one-sided. Our offense got over 400 yards; our defense in the last three games gave up an AVERAGE of 493 yards (including 537 to Ohio State).

Our offense turned the ball over three times. Our defense gave up MULTIPLE first downs and third and LONG.....not third and one, third and LONG (double digits sometimes).

The notion this one game made Kiffin inept or was "the real Lane" is laughably selective in its application.

My point was simple: a lot of folks on this board have opinions at variance with reality and demonstrable fact.

And now, back to Braxton Miller discussion.
I agree, plenty of blame to go around. Bama did not play an overall good game. We played well in spots but bad in other spots.

The defense did create two turnovers which gave the Bama offense short fields that they converted into 2 touchdowns. The defense also was able to keep the OSU offense backed up inside the 10 on three straight 4th quarter possessions and gave the offense good field position. The offense turned the ball over and punted the other two times on the following possessions.
However, the defense did allow 35 points (other 7 was on pick 6), couldn't get off the field on 3rd down, and gave up numerous big plays with the back breaker being the 85 yard TD run with under 5 minutes to play.

The offense had 400 plus yards and put 35 points on the board but turned it over 2 times (I don't count the last interception since it was a hail mary pass). One of the turnovers was a pick 6. Also we had too many 3 and outs and we did not pick up a first down near the end of the half to run out the clock that would have stemmed the OSU momentum after their first TD. They got the ball back and drove for another TD and completely changed the game. The last 7 minutes of the first half was terrible.

If either the offense or defense would have played better, we win. If both sides play better, we win going away. It was a collective team effort and I think the entire team should share the blame equally.

Last edited:

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Might I add that he will have to apply for admission and be granted to whatever school before he can enroll in any classes. I'm sure the athletic dept. of any school will assist in getting the proper paperwork done quickly but you are talking another hurdle to have to clear there.

Just for an idea of how soon Miller has to make a decision based on the schools he's rumored to like and each school's academic calendar:

Alabama - January 14 is last day to register/add classes
Florida State - January 12 is last day to adjust schedule
Oregon - January 14 is last day to register/add classes
LSU - January 26 is last day to register/add classes

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
That wont be an issue. he probably has the applications ready and already turned in...
Might I add that he will have to apply for admission and be granted to whatever school before he can enroll in any classes. I'm sure the athletic dept. of any school will assist in getting the proper paperwork done quickly but you are talking another hurdle to have to clear there.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I"m going to put this on here. After reading everything... This is how I think it will go down:

FSU is his top choice if Winston leaves. now, if Winston decided to stay another season, HE won't be coming to FSU.
Oregon- Miller might be intriqued and Probably will pick this one.
LSU- Might be his second/third choice, but if Golson commits to LSU before Miller does, and I think it could happen, Miller won't come to LSU.
I see Duke as a possiblity but it really depends on how it'll go down. I'm convinced It's between FSU and Oregon. I don't think Alabama is in play at all... mostly because of our depth at QB... but We could be the wild card, if we lose Bateman and Morris to transfer...
Looks like he won't know if Winston is leaving until after the 12th, which is the final date for schedule adjustments at FSU. It appears that Miller will have to decide whether or not to go to FSU without knowing Winston's intentions.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12128306/jameis-winston-waiting-cfp-draft-decision

Jameis Winston won't announce a decision on whether he'll enter the NFL draft until after the College Football Playoff National Championship Presented by AT&T, his father said Tuesday.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
OH, thats so low LOL. Winson is smart after all. He holds the card... but It's possible Miller could talk to coaches and get a feeling of the situation. Honestly, Winston needs to go. Staying another year may not help him.
Looks like he won't know if Winston is leaving until after the 12th, which is the final date for schedule adjustments at FSU. It appears that Miller will have to decide whether or not to go to FSU without knowing Winston's intentions.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12128306/jameis-winston-waiting-cfp-draft-decision

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
My reply is pretty simple. If having Braxton Miller in an Alabama jersey helps our team then I'm here to welcome him with bells and whistles. I can't worry about all the other 110 if's, and's and but's. RTR!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I wouldn't mind if he comes to the Capstone, I would prefer if it was as a tight end, he has the speed and size he's just not as good a QB. He's an athlete playing QB if I see him correctly.
He's 6'2, 215. He's not going to be a TE unless he added some major muscle.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
My reply is pretty simple. If having Braxton Miller in an Alabama jersey helps our team then I'm here to welcome him with bells and whistles. I can't worry about all the other 110 if's, and's and but's. RTR!
After considering as much as my little brain can handle of this, me too. But , while it`s certainly interesting conversation, I think in the end it`ll all be moot anyway.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I seriously doubt he comes to Alabama, the quarterback situation isn't as desperate at some so it's unlikely Alabama would recruit him with a "you'll start right away" type of pitch. But... to put it in perspective, if there was a discussion prior to last year about either Blake Sims, Braxton Miller, or Jacob Coker playing QB for Alabama, I think we all know the Miller camp would have been the most vocal. Of course Alabama would like to have him, but that doesn't guarantee him anything.

I'm not sure how Coker would view this, he couldn't be happy, but Winston hasn't even said if he's leaving FSU yet and Coker all along faced the possibility of not even getting a chance at FSU. That was a bigger risk than trying to earn a starting job at Alabama. I don't know how this will end up, but I'm not worried either way.

If Alabama gets a proven QB thrown into the mix, it's hard to argue against that. If they don't? They have Cooper and Coker, the position won't be lacking for talent next year.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
LSU:
Harris FR
Jennings SO
Bergeron SO
Clise FR
Kragthrope JR
Foster JR

Looking at their LSU Situation with QBs.... I think there is lack of veteran QB that can truly help the QBs develop. SO, it would make sense
for Miller/Golson to transfer to LSU, and that can help Harris/Jenning to develop off the field work ethics...
Florida State
Winston ( NFL??)
Clark JR
Maguire SO
Franklin III FR
Cosentino FR
Cook FR
Behind Winston and Maguire, Lack of experiences on the field. Make sense for Miller to go there. FR and SO QBs can benefit from waiting one more year.
Teams that Golson/Miller should (Need to) consider:
Florida
Harris ( May Transfer?) UF Coach isn't high on him.
Driskel (Transferring)
Grier
Mornhinweg
Guy
Provancha
Wikes
McGriff
Their QB situation is very shaky, lot of unproven Qbs on the roster. Miller/GOlson can provide stability and can help the team to SEC EAST.
Duke:
Not going to list their QBs.. but both can benefit from going to Duke. Their offense is QB friendly.

Oregon- They have long track records of QBs having outstanding season, and I think Miller would be a good fit for the team, but Golson, not so much.
Teams who needs QBs: Baylor, Georgia, Ole Miss, UCLA, Boise State, Miami and Michigan... I think those teams could make playoff with right QB and right timing...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't think Miller is coming to Bama either, unless he knows he's playing different position. His best shot isn't with LSU, Bama, but with FSU. Winston knows that and he's being greedy about this situation, because We know he's real good, so he needs to move on for the benefit of the school... He stays another year and It won't be pretty. I think Winston waiting until after championship game is litlte puzzling since he's not playing in the game....

I seriously doubt he comes to Alabama, the quarterback situation isn't as desperate at some so it's unlikely Alabama would recruit him with a "you'll start right away" type of pitch. But... to put it in perspective, if there was a discussion prior to last year about either Blake Sims, Braxton Miller, or Jacob Coker playing QB for Alabama, I think we all know the Miller camp would have been the most vocal. Of course Alabama would like to have him, but that doesn't guarantee him anything.

I'm not sure how Coker would view this, he couldn't be happy, but Winston hasn't even said if he's leaving FSU yet and Coker all along faced the possibility of not even getting a chance at FSU. That was a bigger risk than trying to earn a starting job at Alabama. I don't know how this will end up, but I'm not worried either way.

If Alabama gets a proven QB thrown into the mix, it's hard to argue against that. If they don't? They have Cooper and Coker, the position won't be lacking for talent next year.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
"I think Winston waiting until after championship game is litlte puzzling since he's not playing in the game...."
I think you can chalk it up to the fact that JW is a humble, shy and thoughtful individual who doesn't want to draw attention away from the game.

Last edited:

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Doesn't Winston have the option of playing MLB as well? If so, which league is going to look less favorable on him due to his prior antics? Surely he's not staying in school either way.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Thats an option. If he goes and play in MLB.. people wlil forget about him and he can come back to NFL draft year later...
Doesn't Winston have the option of playing MLB as well? If so, which league is going to look less favorable on him due to his prior antics? Surely he's not staying in school either way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.