Ironies in naming...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I got this in an email and thought it was pretty funny.

The federal government, which has " Tomahawk" cruise missiles and "Apache," "Blackhawk," 'Kiowa" and "Lakota' helicopters -- and used the code name "Geronimo" in the attack that killed Osama bin Laden, officially objects to the name of the Washington "Redskins".

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Irony

I edited the title. I couldn't tell what it was about, even with the popup. I do agree with the "irony" part. Funny we've never heard of any demonstrations against the feds over naming...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Well we are using those names to honor the native Americans, while being named as a mascot of a sports team is a racial slur.
Maybe we're using those names to subtly demonstrate the brutality of the Native Americans.

I'm still waiting for the Greek & Italian Americans to get up in arms about Spartans, Romans, Centurions, etc.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I got this in an email and thought it was pretty funny.

The federal government, which has " Tomahawk" cruise missiles and "Apache," "Blackhawk," 'Kiowa" and "Lakota' helicopters -- and used the code name "Geronimo" in the attack that killed Osama bin Laden, officially objects to the name of the Washington "Redskins".
To be fair, some consider "redskins" to be a racial slur while the other names you list are simply nouns. I guess somewhat similar to using names like blackies, kykes, spics, wops etc

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Maybe we're using those names to subtly demonstrate the brutality of the Native Americans.

I'm still waiting for the Greek & Italian Americans to get up in arms about Spartans, Romans, Centurions, etc.
Notre Dame is the most egregious name, IMO. Fightin Irish? I'm sure the peaceful people of Ireland are appalled at such a heinous slur of their good name.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
To be fair, some consider "redskins" to be a racial slur while the other names you list are simply nouns. I guess somewhat similar to using names like blackies, kykes, spics, wops etc
Being represented as blood-thirsty killers is also considered a racial slur by some.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Notre Dame is the most egregious name, IMO. Fightin Irish? I'm sure the peaceful people of Ireland are appalled at such a heinous slur of their good name.
I'm of Irish descent and I'm completely offended by the wimpy Leprechaun as Notre Dame's team symbol. Leprechauns are only found in Crichton-Mobile, AL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.