CFN: Was The SEC Overrated?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Good read.

No, the SEC was not overrated, the rest of the college football world was underrated. Teams have been working to get better to catch up to the SEC, and you couple that with being absolutely sick of hearing about how good the SEC is and you have a bunch of teams with no lack of motivation to knock us off.

Only Ole Miss got blown out, though. Auburn could've easily won, Alabama had plenty of opportunities to get that game back from Ohio State, LSU only lost by 3, and it wasn't like Mississippi State got blown out but Georgia Tech was clearly the better team.

BamaBrass

Suspended
Feb 14, 2004
Ringgold, GA
I think the talent was down this year as a whole. Name me one QB that could potentially be a first rounder. Name me a SEC middle linebacker that could be a potential first rounder. Name me a RB that could potentially be a first rounder in the upcoming draft. Name me an offensive lineman. Sure, other positions may have first rounders but, as a league, we had some really good players with very few excellent ones. And defenses were quite putrid relative to past teams in the league.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I think the talent was down this year as a whole. Name me one QB that could potentially be a first rounder. Name me a SEC middle linebacker that could be a potential first rounder. Name me a RB that could potentially be a first rounder in the upcoming draft. Name me an offensive lineman. Sure, other positions may have first rounders but, as a league, we had some really good players with very few excellent ones. And defenses were quite putrid relative to past teams in the league.
I agree 100% I think Ohio States number 3 QB could have started pretty much on every team in our league this year.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
the sec (at the hands of florida, lsu and bama, and i guess to some extent the barn) has set the standard for excellence in college football since at least 2006. other folks are starting to up their game. i think thats a good thing overall.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
The end-of-season reputation of the SEC was based almost entirely on two things:
1. Ole Miss getting throttled
2. Alabama (or any SEC team) NOT being in the championship

So, really what people need to be saying is that the SEC is no longer dominating college football like we/they did the last 7-8 years. But everything about our bowl record is better than about any other conference except the Pac-12.

It's not that the SEC was bad. It's just that we didn't dominate.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I'm just going to say I overrated the SEC this year. That being said, I expect the SEC to continue to dominate college football for years to come.

Michigan, Penn State, Texas, Florida, and USCw are all major players that have been absent for a while. There will be more balance when these teams return to prominence.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Georgia are in all honesty, holding back the SEC.....

Auburn and LSU were due to have a down year.....so I don't blame them.....A&M was never that good -- but the west did their part.....

If the East was better -- the pressure would never have been as high for OM and State

Ole Miss, Miss State should NEVER be the 2nd and 3rd best teams in any conference ever!

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Several of the key SEC players had terrible luck with injuries. Ole Miss is the most obvious, but we spent the entire back half of the season dinged up across the board, apparently moreso that the coaches let on.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Georgia are in all honesty, holding back the SEC.....

Auburn and LSU were due to have a down year.....so I don't blame them.....A&M was never that good -- but the west did their part.....

If the East was better -- the pressure would never have been as high for OM and State

Ole Miss, Miss State should NEVER be the 2nd and 3rd best teams in any conference ever!
Yeah, the East really needs to pick up their end of the league. Florida is due a turnaround, and Georgia, well Georgia is Georgia. Tennessee needs to get back to being good (although for my sake they can rot), but I'm not sure it's really possible due to demographics.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Georgia RB Todd Gurley would have been a 1st rounder if it wasn't for his multiple injuries last season.
as far as lineman, these are some I can think of:

Texas AM OT Cedric Ogbuehi
LSU OT La'el Collins
Ole Miss OT Laremy Tunsil

Auburn center Reese Dismukes, who won the Rimington Award.

the SEC had its fair share of talented linemen, in fact, it usually does.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This article says what I have expressed a few times since the Alabama/OSU game - Alabama is what we thought you were, but OSU is better than we thought. I hope to see this proved on the field on the 12th.

Lassr4Bama

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Hazel Green, AL
I think the SEC west was overated compared to previous years, as in I don't think any of the teams were #1 material (in hindsight) but still easily top 5 material.

I don't think it was a case of Ole Miss and Miss St elevating their game to match the perennial West powers (Bama, LSU, Barn) so much as those usually elite teams played down a notch this year which helped boost Ole Miss and Miss St.

Then add to that that Ohio St and other teams are closing the gap with the SEC.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

and yet they all won their bowl games.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well if you lose enough games during the year, you get to play weaker teams -- that's a great plan!
GA was one play away from winning the SECCG and the BCS title in 2012. USCe won 11 games/season 3 years in a row - a streak that only ended this year. Florida will be back - bad coaching hurt them. They won 2 BCS titles before their coaching change. No idea what to say about TN, so that is your weak link.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
GA was one play away from winning the SECCG and the BCS title in 2012. USCe won 11 games/season 3 years in a row - a streak that only ended this year. Florida will be back - bad coaching hurt them. They won 2 BCS titles before their coaching change. No idea what to say about TN, so that is your weak link.
Was talking about this year.....all 4 underachieved.....therefore went to lower bowls.....not sure what your point was....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.