Question: Coach Saban vs Coach Meyer...Friendly Discussion

braggtd

Suspended
Sep 25, 2011
This is 100% for discussion purposes only....as I bleed Crimson as much as anyone. If Meyer's wins the NC with a 3rd string QB, does that make him the best coach in the game at this moment? Of course Coach Saban will still have the upper hand in NCs....which is the ultimate measuring stick. However, Meyer's body of work is very impressive for a guy who just hit 50 years old. Some numbers for comparisons sake.

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches[SUP]#[/SUP]AP[SUP]°[/SUP]
Toledo Rockets (Mid-American Conference) (1990)
1990Toledo9–27–1T–1st
Toledo:9–27–1
Michigan State Spartans (Big Ten Conference) (1995–1999)
1995Michigan State6–5–14–3–15thL Independence
1996Michigan State6–65–35thL Sun
1997Michigan State7–54–46thL Aloha
1998Michigan State6–64–46th
1999Michigan State9–2*6–2T–2ndInvited to Citrus*9*9*
Michigan State:34–24–123–16–1* Saban resigned before bowl game.
LSU Tigers (Southeastern Conference) (2000–2004)
2000LSU8–45–33rd (West)W Peach22
2001LSU10–35–31st (West)W Sugar[SUP]†[/SUP]87
2002LSU8–55–3T–2nd (West)L Cotton
2003LSU13–17–11st (West)W Sugar[SUP]†[/SUP]12
2004LSU9–36–22nd (West)L Capital One1616
LSU:48–1628–12
Alabama Crimson Tide (Southeastern Conference) (2007–present)
2007Alabama2–6[SUP][a][/SUP]1–4[SUP][a][/SUP]T–3rd (West)W Independence
2008Alabama12–28–01st (West)L Sugar[SUP]†[/SUP]66
2009Alabama14–08–01st (West)W BCS NCG[SUP]†[/SUP]11
2010Alabama10–35–34th (West)W Capital One1110
2011Alabama12–17–12nd (West)W BCS NCG[SUP]†[/SUP]11
2012Alabama13–17–11st (West)W BCS NCG[SUP]†[/SUP]11
2013Alabama11–27–1T–1st (West)L Sugar[SUP]†[/SUP]87
2014Alabama12–27–11st (West)L Sugar[SUP]†[/SUP]
Alabama:86–17[SUP][a][/SUP]50–11[SUP][a][/SUP]
Total:177–59–1[SUP][a]

[/SUP]
Championships
4 National (2003, 2009, 2011–2012)
1 MAC (1990)
5 SEC (2001, 2003, 2009, 2012, 2014)
8 SEC Western Division (2001–2003, 2008–2009, 2012–2014)

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches[SUP]#[/SUP]AP[SUP]°[/SUP]
Bowling Green Falcons (Mid-American Conference) (2001–2002)
2001Bowling Green8–35–3T–3rd (East)[SUP][79][/SUP]
2002Bowling Green9–36–23rd (East)
Bowling Green:17–611–5
Utah Utes (Mountain West Conference) (2003–2004)
2003Utah10–26–11stW Liberty2121
2004Utah12–07–01stW Fiesta[SUP]†[/SUP]54
Utah:22–213–1
Florida Gators (Southeastern Conference) (2005–2010)
2005Florida9–35–3T–2nd (East)W Outback1612
2006Florida13–17–11st (East)W BCS NCG[SUP]†[/SUP]11
2007Florida9–45–33rd (East)L Capital One1613
2008Florida13–17–11st (East)W BCS NCG[SUP]†[/SUP]11
2009Florida13–18–01st (East)W Sugar[SUP]†[/SUP]33
2010Florida8–54–42nd (East)W Outback
Florida:65–1536–12
Ohio State Buckeyes (Big Ten Conference) (2012–present)
2012Ohio State12–08–01st (Leaders) ‡3
2013Ohio State12–28–01st (Leaders)L Orange[SUP]†[/SUP]1012
2014Ohio State13–18–01st (East)W Sugar[SUP]†[/SUP]
Ohio State:37–324–0‡ Ineligible for Big Ten title, bowl game and Coaches' Poll
Total:141–26

Accomplishments and honors
Championships
2 National (2006, 2008)
2 MWC (2003–2004)
2 SEC (2006, 2008)
3 SEC Eastern Division (2006, 2008, 2009)
1 Big Ten (2014)
2 Big Ten Leaders Division (2012, 2013)
1 Big Ten East Division (2014)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Urban Meyer is a very good coach that has walked into some great situations at UF and OSU. If he beats Oregon then IMO Meyer and Saban would be interchangeable as far as who is the best. I judge great coaches and great players by championships. If Saban doesn't win another NC or two then Meyer could very well end up with more than him because of the age discrepancy..

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
There is no doubt that Urban Meyer is a great coach, but as CrimsonForce pointed out, he has walked into 2 great situations at UF and OSU. This does not make him any less of a coach, but he hasn't had to totally rebuild a program like CNS has twice. That fact undoubtedly makes CNS' record worse than it would be otherwise. Meyer's record at Florida was great, but did have a 4 loss team and 5 loss team (that were highly disappointing seasons relative to their expectations) with teams absolutely loaded with talent. Folks around here want CNS to change his defense and make changes all over the place over 4 losses to 4 top 10 teams (3 of those teams won 11 games or more) over 2 seasons, so...

Meyer may end up winning more championships than CNS and go down as one of greatest coaches ever (he's young enough, and certainly has plenty of time), but at this point, he is still clearly behind CNS. Methinks Harbaugh is about cut into some of his BIG dominance, as well. He has been the only great coach in his league except for maybe Dantonio since he's been there.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I don't think it's so much Urban is a better HC of the two, it's pretty even, but, I do think Urban's approach & system is more "Player Friendly", as compared to "The Process", Coach Saban's system & style of play is more a Pro Style approach at Bama..And is more complicated to understand & get a feel for by college players..Especially on the D side of the ball..And is the reason why we have sooo many talented 4* & 5*' Players that hasn't seen the field their 1st 2-3yrs at Bama & some may not ever have the light to come on to even see the football field at Bama..

It suxs if they don's get the PT they want & thought they would get coming to Bama..You have to buckle down & truly learn the playbook & understand what's being taught at meetings & on the practice field..Positions & playing time is won on the practice field & in the film rooms..That decides if you play on Coach Saban's football team in the regular season & not just the accolades you have playing high school football before coming to Bama..JMHO

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
There is no doubt that Urban Meyer is a great coach, but as CrimsonForce pointed out, he has walked into 2 great situations at UF and OSU. This does not make him any less of a coach, but he hasn't had to totally rebuild a program like CNS has twice. That fact undoubtedly makes CNS' record worse than it would be otherwise. Meyer's record at Florida was great, but did have a 4 loss team and 5 loss team (that were highly disappointing seasons relative to their expectations) with teams absolutely loaded with talent. Folks around here want CNS to change his defense and make changes all over the place over 4 losses to 4 top 10 teams (3 of those teams won 11 games or more) over 2 seasons, so...

Meyer may end up winning more championships than CNS and go down as one of greatest coaches ever (he's young enough, and certainly has plenty of time), but at this point, he is still clearly behind CNS. Methinks Harbaugh is about cut into some of his BIG dominance, as well. He has been the only great coach in his league except for maybe Dantonio since he's been there.
Urban Meyer is a great HC no doubt but I agree though that Harbaugh (maybe not in year 1) will make it a lot more difficult for Meyer to dominate the B1G.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If we win it all this year Meyer would have to be considered at least the second best head coach in college football by any rational measure. To surpass Saban he will need to demonstrate that he can maintain success over an extended period of time at one place. That is actually harder to do than building a program.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
If we win it all this year Meyer would have to be considered at least the second best head coach in college football by any rational measure. To surpass Saban he will need to demonstrate that he can maintain success over an extended period of time at one place. That is actually harder to do than building a program.
Agree - motivation as an underdog is different than motivation going into every game as the favorite.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I already consider Meyer the 2nd best coach in college football but IMO there is a gulf between 1st and 2nd place. The only advantage Meyer has is youth. He has never dominated college football for an extended period of time.

Coach Saban is 2 or 3 levels above everyone else.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
B1G, win or lose, IMO Meyer is the second best coach in college football. At his age, if he remains healthy and doesn't burn out, then he has the opportunity to surpass CNS. I know he is an Ohio guy and tOSU is his dream job, but does he look at the next level and will Michigan under Harbaugh make the B1G east a more level playing field? Don't think anybody knows right now.

My biggest issue with Meyer is that historically he has been somewhat loose in his disciplinary policy. This is something that can end a successful career quickly, see Jim Tressel. I do believe his presence at tOSU has been good for college football as will Harbaugh's.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005

Unless he has learned how to sustain success the wheels will come off at OSU just like they did at Florida. If he is still doing this well after 8 years at OSU, then and only then will I consider him equal to CNS.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
News flash, he did burn out. He chickened out when Tebow left and Saban handed him his lunch. He took the coward's way out and left when the competition got stiff. He took a year off at a cushy commentator's gig and then took the keys to the premiere program in the Big whatever it is. One day a hard nosed coach who preaches the running game and stout defense, who is a tireless recruiter, and has rebuilt a program will come along in the Big whatever and we will see how Urban fares. Oh wait...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
News flash, he did burn out. He chickened out when Tebow left and Saban handed him his lunch. He took the coward's way out and left when the competition got stiff. He took a year off at a cushy commentator's gig and then took the keys to the premiere program in the Big whatever it is. One day a hard nosed coach who preaches the running game and stout defense, who is a tireless recruiter, and has rebuilt a program will come along in the Big whatever and we will see how Urban fares. Oh wait...
Not sure what happened to him, but I have seen similar things happen to many people. They push themselves too hard an end up crashing. When Meyer crashed, the flames burned the entire Gator program.

I also don't know what he has changed in his life to keep this from happening again. For his sake, I hope that he has this resolved. But calling him a coward is just stupid. A coward would have stayed on the sidelines and continued to collect those huge paychecks from ESPN. He threw himself back into the fray, rose back to the top and beat the man/program that was involved in his burnout a few years ago. He said when he returned to coaching that he was going to have to build a program capable of competing with SEC teams like Alabama - he knew what was involved. I wouldn't say that he showed courage in returning because I don't measure courage in that way, but it certainly demonstrated a determination to prove to himself and the world that he is what we thought he was - a great head coach. The only question remaining is, how great?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
One thing which gets no notice: when Coach Saban took over Michigan State THEY WERE ON PROBATION WITH REDUCED SCHOLLYS. Many people point to his no so awesome record there ~ but they don't mention having to deal with probation.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
His burn out just happened to coincide with the greatest quarterback in Florida history leaving, and it becoming obvious that Saban had created a monster that would, at the very least, challenge Meyer for the SEC title every year. He was going to have to step up his recruiting effort, he had an unproven situation at quarterback, and all the bubble gum and bailing wire he used to hold the program together was coming undone. He left the program in shambles. He didn't try to fix it, he left.

Throwing deep against Alabama late in that game showed all anybody needed to see about Urban Meyer. Total lack of class, because I promise you if the shoe was on the other foot Saban would've ran the football.

I understand he's your coach and you're going to defend him, I respect that. There's far too much evidence that supports my claim for it not to be truly what happened.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
What hurts Meyer (in my court of public opinion) was his packing up and leaving the SEC when things started turning bad for him. Yeah, he supposedly had "health problems" but how all that played out just looked too fishy with regard to him then turning around and taking the OSU job in a weaker conference. It simply comes across as "can't take the heat so I'll go somewhere else that I don't have the same competition".

He also hasn't stayed anywhere long enough to prove he can sustain the success. After the 2008 NC he got two beat downs in a row from Saban and Bama. His last year at Florida was a disaster in my opinion. He also left them in shambles. One game doesn't a career make. We got beat by OSU in ONE bowl game.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
At this point it's pretty safe to say Coach Saban is still #1 in college football with a fairly large gap behind him.

I like Coach Meyer and think he's a great coach but he doesn't (yet) have the legacy which Coach Saban has already secured.

Give it a few more years and we'll see what happens.

I will say that I will not fault Coach Meyer for what happened when he left Florida. I can relate to being burned out myself and unless you have been there you cannot appreciate how it impacts your ability to function. It's called metal illness and is nothing to minimize as a significant health issue.`The fact that he had some time off to regroup and then returned to prominence says something about the man. Really and truly he should be commended for this rather than scorned.

Coach Meyer also walked into an Ohio State program on probation and somewhat in shambles. His first year there he went 12-0. His overall record since becoming head coach there is 37-3. And now he is at the doorstep of winning another natty. Say what you want but that is an accomplishment aside from what he did pre-Ohio State.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.