Game Thread: TAMU @ Bama (SECN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
UF will improve through the year. Watch out for Arkansas, who I think will challenge UF for second place in the conference. TN or SC on the road will be absolutely no cakewalk and I think we'll be fortunate to win either game. Granted, we are playing better this year than what I've seen in the past. However, both those teams are better as well. TN beat Miss St. on the road last night by 15, while we all know what SC has done to this point (beat Iowa St.) on a neutral court.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
UF will improve through the year. Watch out for Arkansas, who I think will challenge UF for second place in the conference. TN or SC on the road will be absolutely no cakewalk and I think we'll be fortunate to win either game. Granted, we are playing better this year than what I've seen in the past. However, both those teams are better as well. TN beat Miss St. on the road last night by 15, while we all know what SC has done to this point (beat Iowa St.) on a neutral court.
All the talk about 2nd, I would add Ole Miss to the list.They did force OT the other night againt the baby Cavs in front of a rowdy crowd.No other team has been close to that at Rupp.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I agree. Next two games are going to be great to see where this team really is. @UT and @USCe. If we win those two we will be in great shape going forward..
From last night's UT-MSU game:

@wesrucker247 Any team that has a classic big man with size and strength will probably punish #Vols in the paint. Like … bad.
Anyone think Jimmie can do that? While Kessens has played more, Jimmie is more along the lines of a "classic big man."

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
From last night's UT-MSU game:

Anyone think Jimmie can do that? While Kessens has played more, Jimmie is more along the lines of a "classic big man."
I'm not sure Jimmie has the skill set to really hurt a team in the paint consistently. He normally will score off of rebounds or broken plays. Maybe he does have a low post skill set but we just haven't seen it yet..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm not sure Jimmie has the skill set to really hurt a team in the paint consistently. He normally will score off of rebounds or broken plays. Maybe he does have a low post skill set but we just haven't seen it yet..
That's what I was thinking. We, like most basketball teams, don't have that style of player the way the game has changed.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
They aren't the team they have been before but they are probably the second best team to lose to in the SEC. I bet UF will end up with a very good conference record..
I don't mean to be a sour puss, but I don't think Grant has ever beaten Donovan and frankly Florida has owned us for the last 20 years. That being said I think they are more vulnerable than UK. If we win one good marquee game on the road, I think we have a better chance against Florida.

Here is the recipe to get into the Big Dance IMHO.

1) Win a least 3 road games in conference play with a win over either Florida or UK
2) An final RPI in the high 30's
3) No home losses with the exception of UK
4) a couple of wins in the SEC tourney
5) Finish in the top 4 in the SEC
6) no bad losses to the bottom feeders in the SEC

If we fail on any of these, we have zero chance to get into the NCAA tourney. The SEC is better this year with 8 or 9 teams who can compete to be in the top 4 which gives us a tough row to hoe.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
If there really is an uptick on quality in this league this year, I wonder if that will push the number of tourney teams to the 5-or-6 range? If so, I think we go for sure. If not, we really need to handle our business. If our conference had not been down, and lost a massive amount of respect, folks wouldn't be able to throw up anything about Grant's tourney appearances, as we would have made more than 1 obviously. But as it stands, we didn't handle our business during "off" years. If we win our share during a good year in conference, maybe things will change or start to change for the positive (in outsider perspective).

Just rambling...

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
I don't mean to be a sour puss, but I don't think Grant has ever beaten Donovan and frankly Florida has owned us for the last 20 years. That being said I think they are more vulnerable than UK. If we win one good marquee game on the road, I think we have a better chance against Florida.

Here is the recipe to get into the Big Dance IMHO.

1) Win a least 3 road games in conference play with a win over either Florida or UK
2) An final RPI in the high 30's
3) No home losses with the exception of UK
4) a couple of wins in the SEC tourney
5) Finish in the top 4 in the SEC
6) no bad losses to the bottom feeders in the SEC

If we fail on any of these, we have zero chance to get into the NCAA tourney. The SEC is better this year with 8 or 9 teams who can compete to be in the top 4 which gives us a tough row to hoe.
Beating Florida would not be considered a good win based on RPI ....their RPI is in the 100s.....Arkansas is more likely to be number 2 in the sec behind Kentucky

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
I don't mean to rain on any parades and I'm on record saying we're better than we have been in years past. However, when is the last time Alabama won three SEC road games in one season? Heck, I don't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.